Nevada Township Hall
Nevada Center School
Photo of Nevada Center School, District #11, Nevada Township, Mower Co. Minnesota.
The first school in the district was held in a board shanty, owned by James Gerard, located in section 21. It is impossible to state who was the first teacher. Belinda Robinson taught the second term in a claim shanty, situtated on section 22.
The first school house in the district, as well as in the town, was built in 1858, located on the northeast corner of the southeast quater of section 28, Martin Hanson having given on acre of land for the school house site. In 1871-72 a new building, a frame school house was built on the old site. The first teacher in this school was Nels Kalkon. Maris Hegge taught this school in 1942-43. Board members at this time were: Joy Lillegaard, Gilbert Anderson and Casper Ashley.
Information from History of Mower Co. 1884 and Mill on the Willow 1984.
(photo taken Sept. 2012)
Contributed to MnGenWeb by Mark Ashley, 10/2012.