Depot Hotel, Austin
Picture of the old Milwaukee Depot (a.k.a. Depot Hotel, Railroad Hotel, Sutton House). In 1940-41 a new building replaced this one.
Writing on the back of the picture: "The Old Sutton House at the Milwaukee Depot across the way to the east of our once Lambert Restaurant on Water and Railway Street, Austin, Minnesota."
This house was built by the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company in 1872. It is a frame building, brick veneered, three stories in height, and contains thirty-seven rooms.
It was first managed by John McConnell and Nathan Hammond. After one year Hammond sold his interest to Joseph McConnell. The McConnell brothers were succeeded by Atherton and Sons; then by Sherwin and French, and they by Hall and Hay, who managed it from 1881 to 1884.
The present managers are Bannard and Horrabin.
[History of Mower County, 1884, page 265.]
The hotel is at present conducted by Mrs. George H. Sutton and is now known as the Depot hotel. It has wide patronage, and Mrs. Sutton, who assumed the management after the death of her husband, Major Sutton, is an ideal landlady.
[History of Mower County, 1911, page 283-284]
NOTES: See obituaries for Mrs. Sutton and her husband, in the Mower county MNGenWeb obituaries collection.