Biographical Sketch of
George Wood, a settler of March 1857, was born in Monroe County, New York, March 19, 1828. He is a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Schottle) Wood. The father is a native of Orange County, New York. His father, when a young man, went to Monroe County where he was married, living in that county until his death which occurred in 1850 at the age of 57. His mother was still living in 1884. They raised a family of three children, Jane, George, and William H.
George, of whom we write, remained at home on the farm until 17 years of age when he taught his first term of school. He attended school at Brockport Collegiate Institute three summers, teaching winters.
In 1850 he went to New York City where he commenced clerking in a grocery store, where he remained two years, then he returned to Monroe county and engaged in farming two years, when in 1855 he came to Rock County, Wisconsin and taught one term of school that winter at Union and during the summer of 1856 sold lightning rods in Wisconsin and Minnesota. In March 1857 he came to Mower County and pre-empted a quarter section in sections 8 and 9 in Lansing township. He hired ten acres broke and sold it after keeping it three months. In 1858 he worked with the surveying party who located the Cedar Valley railroad, and S.M. & S.P. railroad. During the winter of 1858-59 he taught the first term of winter school in the township of Lansing.
In the spring of 1859 he returned to New York, remaining until 1861 when he returned to Mower County and made an unsuccessful attempt at farming. The summer of 1862 he, in company with William Webb, engaged in the manufacture of brick, which they followed that summer.
In November 1862 he enlisted in Company M., Second Minnesota Cavalry, commanded by Col. McPhail, serving until December 1863. He was under Gen. Sibley against the Sioux. After receiving his discharge he returned to Mower County and in the spring of 1864 again engaged in making brick. In the fall of that year, he, in company with P.D. Vaughn opened a general store, remaining in the business until 1866 when they sold out and Mr. Wood again engaged in brick making that summer, and that winter taught school.
The summer of 1867 he spent in Minneapolis. In the fall of 1867 he, with P.D. Vaughn, engaged in the lumber business at Lansing, remaining in the business until 1870. In 1870 he erected a warehouse and began to buy grain, which business he still follows.
Mr. Wood is one of the large land holders of the township, owning 520 acres, all under a good state of cultivation.
Mr. Wood was married April 27, 1876 to Caroline (Scofield) Rolf [Rolfe]. She was born near Lockport, New York, January 9, 1832. By her first marriage she had five children, three of whom are still living; Frank W., Fred A., George E. Mrs. Wood is a member of the Episcopal Church at Austin.
Mr. Wood is a man of integrity, Republican in politics, does his own thinking, and pins his faith to the sleeve of no sect or party, has a rational faith in sound morals, and seeks to do as he would be done by.
History of Mower County, 1884
Transcribed and submitted to MnGenWeb by Kathy Pike January 11, 2007