Biographical Sketch of
Colonel Henry C. Rogers
Col. Henry C. Rogers was born in Vermont in 1834. He removed to Minnesota in 1856 and settled in Mower County, where he engaged in farming and mercantile business. In 1862 he was a member of the house of representatives in this state and in the fall of that year was commissioned lieutenant colonel of the Eighth Minnesota, and held that position until mustered out at the close of the war. In the fall of 1865 he was elected secretary of state and was re-elected in 1867, when his health precluded his longer holding that position. In the winter of 1869-70 he was appointed pension agent of Minnesota, and held that position until his death.
At the battle of Murfreesboro, in December, 1864, Lieutenant-Colonel Rogers was in command of his regiment, Colonel Thomas having command of the brigade, and his troops were ordered to hold a position in an open field against the enemy located in the woods adjacent. The fire became so hot that Colonel Rogers ordered his men to lie down, while he, with that courage which knew no fear, rode up and down the line, a conspicuous target for the enemy. He faced the bullets in safety until just as the victory was won, when a bullet struck his right arm, passed through it, and would have gone through his body but for the fortunate interposition of a belt buckle. From this wound he never recovered, and his health until his death remained in a precarious condition. He died May 8, 1871, at Brownsdale.
The Grand Army of the Republic Post, formed at Brownsdale in 1882, took his name. The monument fund was started in the spring of 1883, through the energetic exertions of Albert Swift, post commander. He was materially aided in his efforts by A.C. Hawley of St. Paul. The Henry C. Rogers Post contributed $25. The remainder came from prominent men in St. Paul, among who are the Hon. Alex. Ramsey, Gen J.B. Sanborn, Gen. A.T. Averill, Gen. J.H. Baker, the Hon. William R. Marshall, Col. William Crooks, Gen. A.C. Hawley, the Hon. W.W. Braden, the Hon. Charles Kittleson, the Hon. S.P. Jennison, the Hon. David Day, the Hon. Albert Seheffer, the Hon, M.D. Flower, the Hon. A.R. McGill and the Hon. Samuel Nichols. The monument is located about a mile and a half south of Brownsdale, in Greenwood Cemetery. It is a cottage monument in design, made of blue Vermont marble.
To the right is a photo of his tombstone at Greenwood Cemetery. Click here for wider view of tombstone.
Transcribed from "History of Mower County, 1911" --"Col. Henry Rogers' Career"
Transcribed by Kathy Pike, Oct. 2006