Mower County, Minnesota

Group File 20


Burt E. Stimson

b: 1844

Burt E. Stimson, a retired farmer and veteran of the Civil war, now living in Austin, was born in Damby, Vermont, October 21, 1844, son of Charles N. and Harriett A. (Pratt) Stimson, who brought him to Udolpho township, this county, in 1856. Here he received his early education, and was reared on a farm.

Joining the Union army in 1864 and serving in Company K, Fifth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, until the fall of 1865, when the regiment was mustered out at Demopolis, Ala., and discharged at Fort Snelling. He took part in the battles of Nashville, Spanish Forts and Fort Blakely, and was on the march to Montgomery when peace was declared.

Returning to Mower county, he again took up farming on the home place, raising wheat at first and later changing into diversified farming, making a specialty of Norman horses and Poland-China hogs. At the time of his retirement in 1896 he owned 1,000 acres of rich land, all in this county.

Mr. Stimson is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R., attends the Congregational church, and votes the Republican ticket. He was married November 11, 1866, at the bride's home in Westfield, Dodge county, to Eliza Symes, and this union has resulted in nine children: Burt L., of Lansing, this county; Charles W., of Winnebago; Alice 0., wife of Miles McGowan; Winfred, of Winnebago; Emma, now Mrs. Guy Chaffee, of Freeborn county; George, of Sargeant, Minn.; Henry S., a Chicago dentist; Fred, of Winnebago; Lule, of Austin, wife of Leo Dunfee, a cigar merchant.




Charles N. Stimson

Charles N. Stimson was born in Vermont and there married Harriett A. Pratt, a native of the same state. They came west in 1856, located in Udolpho, Mower county, and took a homestead of 160 acres in section 24, township 104, range 18. They erected buildings, developed the land and carried on general farming, Charles N. passing away in March, 1866, and his wife in August, 1864.




David Hopkins Stimson

b: 1846

David Hopkins Stimson, deceased, was born in Danby, Vt., August 29, 1846, son of William and Aurora (Hopkins) Stimson, prominent farmers of Bennington, Vermont. The father was one of seven sons and seven daughters and the mother was one of six sons and six daughters. They, however, had but three sons, David, William and Homer, the latter two of whom are dead.

David, the subject of this sketch, received his education in Danby and graduated from the Manchester College at Manchester, Vt. Subsequently he came west to Chicago and engaged in the carpenter business until 1872, when he came to Mower county, and after locating in Austin, engaged in contracting for a period. Later he was appointed deputy sheriff and served under Sheriffs Hall and Corey. Afterward he engaged in the real estate and loan business until 1902, when he was made superintendent of the Odd Fellows' Home at Northfield, Minn. There he removed his family.

In 1905 he took his family to the Pacific coast and subsequently returned to Austin, where he resumed his previous business. He died July 26, 1907. Mr. Stimson was interested in many public movements and among his offices-and activities may be mentioned the following: In the Odd Fellows he passed through all the chairs of the local lodge, was state representative to the national grand lodge and was grand master of the state grand lodge; in Oakwood cemetery affairs he served as president of the board until his death and was active in the movement which resulted in the erection of the chapel; in the Austin Building and Loan Association he was an active worker and for several years an officer; in the county fair projects he was also a hard worker and a member of the board; in the Austin Dairy Company he was instrumental in the organization and was treasurer and director at the time of his death.

In addition to his many other interests he purchased 160 acres of land in Lansing township, near Ramsey, erected a home and buildings thereon and kept some forty head of cattle, thus conducting a dairy farm in connection with his dairy interests in Austin. The farm is now rented. Mr. Stimson also owned a residence at 310 Mankato street, Austin, where the family has resided for thirty-three years.

The subject of this sketch was married, at Chicago, December 1, 1875, to Dora E. Jones, born October 28, 1853, at Tryonville, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Lyman L. and Elizabeth J. (Hartwell) Jones, natives of Chautauqua county, New York, who went to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, about 1848 and located at Tryonville, where Lyman L. engaged as a hotel proprietor. In 1878 the family went to Brookings, Brookings county, South Dakota, and there Lyman L. become a carpenter, contractor and builder. He erected some of the first buildings in that place.

After several years he was elected judge of probate and served in that office until ill health caused his retirement. He died in Austin. His wife died in Sioux City, Iowa. Judge and Mrs. Jones had four children. Albert is dead. Dora E. is Mrs. David H. Stimson, of Austin. Arthur lives in Illinois. Georgetta is Mrs. F. R. Preston, of Minneapolis. Mr. and Mrs. Stimson had three children. Ora L. was born March 24, 1878, and died November 23, 1893. Rayburn L. is in the real estate business with E. H. Smith, of Austin. He is a stockholder and director in the Austin Dairy Company and lives at home. Jessie A., born May 9, 1884, is also a stockholder in the Austin Dairy Company and also lives at home.

Since her husband's death Mrs. Stimson has been treasurer of the Austin Dairy Company.




Rev. George Stokes

Rev. George Stokes was born in Lincolnshire, England, and married Delana Forbes. They came to Mower county in the fall of 1865 and settled in Udolpho, where the wife died. Rev. Stokes remained until 1877, when he went to Utah, returning in 1884. He died in 1885 at the home of his son-in-law, 0. C. LaBar, in Udolpho township, Minnesota.

He was a true pioneer pastor, and held the first religious services and organized the first churches in a number of Mower county townships. He was the father of nine children.




Samuel Rodman Stout

Samuel Rodman Stout was a native of Bensalem township, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and his daughter, Anna S., was born in Philadelphia. Samuel came west in 1886 and located in Grand Meadow township, where he bought a section of land known as the Grouse Ridge Farm, the south half of section 28 and the north half of section 33, where he farmed until January, 1903, when he came to Grand Meadow village, where he died May 17, 1903.

His wife, whose maiden name was Jane Hibbs, died November 15, 1902.




John Stute

b: 1866

John Stute, a farmer of Mower county, now living on the old home farm of 429 acres in section 35, Nevada township was born in Monroe county, Wisconsin in September, 1866, son of Carl and Margaret Stute, and with them came to Mower county in 1873, settling on the farm where he has since lived.

Mr. Stute is a Democrat in politics, and has been a member of the township board of Nevada for the past fourteen years. He is a communicant of the Catholic Church, and he and his family attend the church of that denomination at Johnsburg. Aside from carrying on general farming he makes a specialty of breeding cattle.

He married Anna Landherr, daughter of Christ and Emma Landherr, of Nevada township, and this union has resulted in four children: Bernetta, Ardilla, Sabin and Magdaline.




Carl Stute

b: 1837

Carl Stute, a respected resident of Nevada township, where for many years he was a successful farmer, was born in Prussia, Germany, January 6, 1837, and came to this country in 1864, being married near Buffalo, New York, to Margaret Schwartz, daughter of John and Catharine Schwartz, also natives of Prussia.

After living for a time in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, they located in Monroe county, in the same state, and purchased eighty acres. In 1873 he sold out and came to Mower county, where he started farming, finally acquiring 429 acres, which his son John now manages. Mrs. Carl Stute died in 1899. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Stute were the parents of five children: John, of Nevada township; Henry, also of Nevada township; Augusta, married to William Baker, of Cresco, Iowa; Fred, a dentist of Elmore, Iowa; and Charles, who died in infancy.




A. O. Sundem

b: 1825

A. O. Sundem, a venerable and honored resident of Nevada township, lives on eighty acres in section 26, and is now practically retired, having reached an age when active participation in the toil of life is not a necessity.

He was born in Norway, March 28, 1825, and came to America in 1855. In Norway he was a fisherman and railroad worker. After landing in Quebec he went to Wisconsin and worked near Madison six years, mostly in the lead mines. Then he came to Mower county, purchased his present place, and until a short time ago successfully conducted farming operations thereon.

He was married in 1860 and has four children: Edward died at the age of thirty-seven years after a long illness; Anna is at home; Emelia is the wife of John Osteman of Lyle; and Christian conducts a farm near Lyle.




George H. Sutton

b: 1866

George H. Sutton, now deceased, is one of those men whose memory will ever be held foremost in the loving regard of the people of Mower county. His life was an exemplification of personal virtues and civic righteousness, and his death caused widefelt mourning, not only in this county but throughout the state, the newspapers vying with each other in their encomiums.

Mr. Sutton was born at Plymouth, England, June 19, 1866, and died July 1, 1909. He grew to manhood amid the flowering hedges and green lanes of Old England and at the age of eighteen years came to America with his uncle, Thomas Drew, for whom he kept books four years at Portage, Wis. He then entered the employ of the C., M. & St. P. Ry., for several years.

During this period he married Margaret Gilvrey, who proved an able helpmeet in all his various lines of helpfulness. Together they moved to Chicago, and there resided until the C., M. & St. P. road disposed of its hotels and eating houses, at which time Mr. Sutton purchased the interests in the Depot hotel, at Austin, and removed here, making the hotel a favorite with the traveling public. From the first this couple made their impress on the life of the community.

Their deeds of kindness and acts of charity became widely known. At once upon his arrival Mr. Sutton became interested in the municipal uplift of the city, and he believed in progress, but it was not until 1899 that he entered politics and became an alderman to fill the unexpired term of Alex Campbell, who had been elected mayor. The following year Mr. Sutton was practically unanimously elected alderman from his ward.

In 1906 he was elected mayor. The following two years of his administration were years which placed Austin on a high plane of law and order. Mayor Sutton personally investigated every violation of the city ordinances. He insisted that the law be obeyed, and the severest of punishment was meted out to those who ignored his warnings. After two years of such a splendid example of law enforcement, the people reelected Mayor Sutton for another term, and one-half of that term had expired when his health began to fail. He attempted much and his nervous system did not stand the strain. April 9, 1909, he left the city for Sioux City, Iowa, to 'go under the care of' a physician, who later sent him to a specialist in Omaha. All these efforts of love and skill were unavailing, however, and Mr. Sutton passed to the Great Beyond, July 1, 1909.

The body was brought back from Omaha and rested in solemn state in the court house. The services were held from the Episcopal Church and the procession of sorrowing friends and fraternal brothers which followed the remains to the grave was one of the largest in the history of Austin, in spite of the drizzling rain.

Mr. Sutton was survived by his widow, three children, George F., Albert E. and Helen C.; a mother living in England and two brothers, Albert E., of Milwaukee, and Ernest F., of Madison, S. D. The above is a brief sketch of the life and work of an excellent man: His character and influence are admirably summed up by the Austin Daily Herald, as follows: When want and distress came, there George Sutton was to be found with succor.

When death darkened a home, it was George Sutton who was the first to offer his assistance, and when the last sad rites were performed, Mayor Sutton was always to be seen among those taking the dead to their last resting place. All who knew Mir. Sutton realized the ardor, the intensity and the enthusiasm of the man. What he did, he did with his whole soul.

As mayor of the city, he was more than an official, the affairs became to him personal. As president of the Chautauqua Association, he bent every energy and gave of time and effort freely that it might be a success. As a worker for the county fair he was efficient and zealous. In the Sunshine Society and the Elks' Christmas festivities he worked for the joy of the working. To the Driving Association he gave enthusiasm and push. To the school board he would have given valued service had his health not failed him on the eve of election. The ambulance fund was pushed and seconded by his efforts. And so one might continue to specify work for the public good to which he allied his name and gave of his time and money in its support.

Generous almost to a fault, his own affairs and his own personal comfort were the last to receive attention. His philanthropy was a tonic to the whole city. Others refused to be mean or small when called to help out a cause led by this generous spirit. His sympathies were not bounded by the walls of creed or caste. It was to help those who needed help when they needed it most. In this he had the quality that vitalizes all religion. His heart was one of kindly impulses. To a hungry, ill-clad child he was tender as a woman. To the fatherless and widow he was a friend indeed. No matter what differences he had with men, when sickness or sorrow touched their homes, George Sutton was the first to offer help and sympathy. A sick child, an accident, poverty and distress appealed to him as to but few men.

To Austin his death means the close of a life which has left its impress upon the city, and for its great personal force has but few equals. Chosen as mayor in 1906, he began his administration with absolute fearlessness and rare courage. Austin liked his way of doing things, and in 1908 all law-loving citizens clamored for his reelection. Two years of fearless administration had swept away his detractors and political enemies. As mayor he adhered to his fixed policy of doing what he thought was right.

He was a man of the people and his highest ambition was to serve the best interests of all the people. Mr. Sutton had a great capacity for friendship. His friends, not passing friends, but close proven friends, were many. The same qualities which made him the true friend, made him a loving and devoted husband and father. Measuring the man from these many standpoints, he stood for square honesty, a manly man, a rugged, virile character, whose like we do not often look upon. An editorial published in the Austin Daily Herald, October 28, 1910, spoke of Mr. Sutton as follows: "Austin will not raise a relief fund for some time to come, that the memory of George Sutton will not revive afresh. First in all good work, eager to help the needy, and relieve the suffering, counting neither time nor money against he call for aid, Austin came to depend upon him. A score of people spoke his name in reference to the fire sufferers' relief fund just raised. His influence is with us today, in the town that he loved and helped.

He lives in the hearts that he enriched by his friendship, in the minds to which he taught generosity, as well as scorn for the miserable alms that ends with self. Every town needs such as he to leaven its lump of selfishness. What he did is a precedent which we shall remember in times of need.




George Sutton

b: 1838

George Sutton, one of the pioneers of Mower county, has lived here since 1857, and has taken an active interest in township and county affairs. He has done his part toward the development of this section of the country and has always been outspoken in behalf of the things that he has believed to be for the best interests of the community.

He was born March 19, 1838 in Greens County, Ireland, son of Stephen and Mary (McBride) Sutton, the father a native of County Longford, Ireland, and the mother of County Donegal, Ireland. The subject of this sketch came to this country with his parents in 1849, remaining in New York State until 1857, when he came with them to Mower county, locating at Rose Creek, Windom township. After his father's death, in 1859, he entered the claim which his father had pre-empted, as heir-at-law, and acquired the proper title.

Here he developed the land, erected buildings and followed general farming until 1873, when he moved his family into the village of Rose Creek, and engaged in grain buying, still continuing, however, to conduct his farm. He followed the grain buying business until 1898, when he retired from active participation in business.

In 1896, he returned to the old farm, where he now lives with his son, Arthur, who conducts the homestead. Mr. Sutton is a Democrat in politics, a lifelong member of the Masons and a former member of the Grange. He has served as justice of the peace, is a member of the town board of Windom and has been a member of the school board for many years. He also held other local offices. The subject of this sketch was married in Windom township, January 7, 1866, to Alma E. Slocum, who died February 8, 1901, leaving two children: Alice, now Mrs. Uber E. Bryant, of Oakland, Cal., and Arthur R., who conducts the home farm. Stephen Sutton, father of George Sutton, was born in County Longford, north of Ireland, and there received his education, afterward becoming a civil engineer.

He was employed as government surveyor in Ireland for fourteen years, traveling all over that country. In 1849, he came with his family to America, locating at Norwich, Chenango county, New York, where they remained until April, 1857, when they set out to seek a new home in Minnesota, coming directly to what is now Windom township, where he entered a claim in section 26 and remained until his death, in 1859. Here his good wife remained with her son until her death, in 1864. Mr. Sutton was married, in County Donegal, to Mary A. McBride, a native of that county.




Andrew J. Scribner

b: 1827

Andrew J. Scribner was born November 12, 1827, came west with his parents, assisted his father in preempting land, and still resides in Frankford township, on the west half of his father's preemption. George W. Scribner was born in New York and married Sarah Coolidge, in Delaware county, Iowa.

They lived a time in Iowa and then went to Indian Territory, now Oklahoma, where he died. Ann Eliza married Henry Doane, of Ohio. She died at her home in South Dakota, in 1909. Adeline married Charles H. Chamberlain. She died in Beloit, Kansas, in 1909. Martin V. B., at one time enrolling clerk in the Minnesota senate, married Ruth Sweet and farmed in Minnesota. In 1864 he enlisted in the Union army. Upon his return he purchased the Grand Meadow newspaper, continuing in the newspaper business in Minnesota, South Dakota and Montana the remainder of his life. He died December 6, 1909. Marcus H. devoted his life to farming and died in 1872. Anna MI. married Henry B. Corey, former sheriff of Mower county, and now lives in Trinidad, Colorado.




Rev. David Svennungsen

b: 1876

Rev. David Svennungsen, pastor of the United Norwegian Lutheran Congregation at LeRoy and of several other congregations in the neighborhood, was born in Winona, Minn., March 26, 1876, son of Stener and Divert (Frich) Svennungsen. The Rev. Stener Svennungsen came from Norway with his parents in 1848, when five years of age, and located at Muskeego, Wis.

In 1856 they removed to Chickasaw county, Iowa, being among the early settlers there. He attended the Upper Iowa University, the Luther College, of Decorah, Iowa, and the Concordia Seminary, of St. Louis. He was then ordained in the Norwegian Lutheran Synod, and has since filled various pastorates, being now located at Sherwood, N. D. David received his education in the public schools, at the Decorah Institute in Iowa, St. Olaf's College at Northfield and the United Church Seminary of St. Anthony Park, St. Paul, graduating from the theological course in the latter institution in 1904.

He was ordained to the ministry of the United Church at Albert Lea June 12 of the same year. His first pastorate was at Rugby, North Dakota. While there he also labored in the interests of the Good Samaritan Hospital, acting as financial secretary from the time it was founded. This is a very substantial structure, aggregating a cost of $60,000, and is operated and owned by the Sheyenne Kreds Hospital Association of the United Church.

In 1911 he received a call to the pastorate of the United Lutheran Church at LeRoy, and was installed February 26, his field including also Saterdal's congregation in Fillmore county and congregations at Cresco and Ridgeway in Iowa. Rev. Svennungsen was married October 26, 1904, to Carrie Groethe, daughter of O. M. and Guro (Tonjur) Groethe, who located in Mower county in 1865 and remained until 1902, when they moved to Elk Point, South Dakota.

Rev. and Mrs. Svennungsen have three children: Rolf G., born August 1, 1905; Steinar D., born September 18, 1907, and David K., born January 3, 1910.




Ole T. Sween

b: 1847

Ole T. Sween, a well-liked farmer of Frankford township, was born in Norway, October 8, 1847, son of Thomas Olson and Ingar Olson, his wife. He received his education in Norway, and in 1856, at the age of nineteen years, came to America and located in Fillmore county, this state. In 1875 he came to Mower county, and with his father purchased land in sections 7 and 8, Frankford township. This farm they worked together until 1891, when the property was divided and Ole T. received the east half of the southwest quarter of section 8. Here he built his home and buildings, and started general farming operations, at which he has been most successful.

Mr. Sween was married March 27, 1884, to Sarah Jorgens, who was born in Norway, July 25, 1850, and came to America in 1862. Mr. and Mrs. Sween are the parents of three children: Thomas, born December 13, 1884; Ida J., born February 19, 1887, and Serena, born November 20, 1890.




William W. Sweet

b: 1844

William W. Sweet, mayor of LeRoy, and for whom the Sweet Hotel in that village is named, has been a prominent man in the county. He has been deputy sheriff, has served as assessor eleven years, was county commissioner ten years and chairman of that board one year. Has been president of the village council of LeRoy a number of terms.

He was born in Binghamton, N. Y., May 23, 1844, son of Rowland and Patience M. (Cole) Sweet, who took him from his native place to Milwaukee in 1849. From there the family went to Ashland, Wis., where they remained one year, after which they removed to Union, where Rowland Sweet engaged in his trade as a shoemaker. In their declining years Rowland and Patience Sweet came to LeRoy and took up their residence with their son, William.

William W. Sweet received a good common school education, and has spent his life in various pursuits, having engaged extensively in building and in the real estate business. He owns the imposing brick hotel that bears his name, and has other business interests. Mayor Sweet is a veteran of the Civil War, serving three years in the First United States Ben Davis Sharp Shooters.

In 1864, after having participated in twenty-seven important battles, engagements and sieges, he was given an honorable discharge, and came home from the hospital, where he had been recuperating from his wounds. Mayor Sweet married Araminta Bevier, daughter of Franklin and Sarah (Cole) Bevier, the pioneers. To this union has been born one son, Frank W. Franklin Bevier, whose father was a Hollander, was born in Binghamton, N. Y., December 15, 1805, and came to Mower county with the earliest pioneers in 1856. Sarah Cole was born in Coventry, N. Y., April 6, 1820.




Samuel Swenson

b: 1877

Samuel Swenson, merchant and postmaster of Elkton, and treasurer of the village, was born in Blooming Prairie in 1877, son of Magnus Swenson, a native of Norway. Samuel was educated in the schools of his neighborhood, and at the age of twenty-five started in the mercantile business as a clerk in a hardware store in Gibbon, Minn., remaining in this employ three years.

Then he came to Elkton and had charge of a lumber yard two years, after which he purchased a hardware store. In 1910 he purchased the general store from C. C. Hogen, and is at present conducting a successful business, carrying a large stock of first class goods and enjoying the confidence of the people for miles around. Mr. Swenson is a Republican and a member of the Modern Woodmen. He married Laura Hagen, daughter of D. Hagen, and they have one daughter, Mildred Pearl.




Antone Swenson

b: 1878

Antone Swenson conducts the Swenson estate of 220 acres in Marshall township for his brothers and sisters and is one of the substantial citizens of the township. He was born in 1878, in Sweden, and was brought to Mower county by his father, Andrew Swenson, in the early eighties.

He is well liked in the township, has been road overseer for several terms, votes the Republican ticket and attends the Swedish Lutheran church.

Andrew Swenson was born in Sweden, came to America in the early eighties, and located in section 29, Marshall township, where he became a successful farmer, dying in 1899. He had eight children: Charles is a teacher in St. Paul; Annie lives at home; Esther and Nathle are in Austin; Manda is teaching school in this county, Hattie and Cora are at home, and Antone manages the home place.




Albert Swift

b: 1830

Albert Swift, a prominent veteran of the Civil war, now living in Brownsdale, was postmaster of the village from 1891 to 1898. He was president of the village council two terms, recorder at various times for twelve years, and has been very active in G. A. R. affairs. He was instrumental in organizing the Henry Rogers Post, of Brownsdale, and mustered in the posts at Austin, Kasson and Grand Meadow.

In 1882 he became the first commander of the Rogers post, and since then has taken a deep interest in its affairs, doing much work such as making out reports to headquarters and other details, performing the duties of adjutant. Albert Swift was born in Chautauqua county, New York, February 20, 1830, son of Samuel and Anna (McArthur) Swift.

He learned the carpenter's trade, and in August, 1862, enlisted in the Civil war, serving in the First New York Dragoons until July 11, 1865, when he received his honorable discharge at Clouds Mills, Va. At the close of the war in 1865 he located in Missouri, and in 1874 cameto Brownsdale, where he has since resided.

He married Ann J., daughter of William and Elizabeth (Bennett) Ray, and to this union have been born five children: Lillie, deceased; Ida L., deceased; Frank E., Edwin MI. and Nina R., the latter a teacher in Gas City, Ind. Frank E. has for many year been in the employ of the Minneapolis & Sault Ste. Marie road. He lives at Sault Ste. Marie and runs a passenger train between that place and Escanaba, Mich. Edwin M. lives at Seattle, Wash., and is in the employ of the Seattle and Everett Traction Company.

William Ray and his wife were natives of Dutchess county, New York, of English descent. Mr. Ray was treasurer and bookkeeper for one of the large foundries at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and retained that position for many years. He died in 1841. His wife died in 1853. Samuel Swift died in 1859 and his wife in 1853.




John K. Syverud

b: 1856

John K. Syverud has a farm of 120 acres in Lansing township which he is industriously cultivating, being justly proud of his fertile acres, his well kept buildings and his sleek looking live stock. He has lived in Lansing township since 1881, is one of the leading members of the Lutheran church and a popular brother in the Sons of Norway.

The subject of this sketch was born in Norway in 1856, the son of Christian and Martha Syverud, and in 1881 came to this country, arriving in Lansing after brief stops in Waukon, Iowa, and Fillmore county, Minnesota.

In 1900 he went back to the old country, married Aegmepe Kopprud and remained there two years, returning to Lansing in 1902. Mr. and Mrs. Syverud are the parents of four bright children: Carl, Clara M., Annie L., and a baby not yet named.




J. C. Taney

b: 1878

J. C. Taney, superintendent of the Austin Cement Company, was born in Covington, Ky., February 10, 1878, son of James and Nancy (Kramer) Taney.

He received his education in the public schools of Indiana, and then learned the cement business, starting at fifty cents a day, and working his way up from water boy to superintendent of the United States Cement Company, at Sellersburg, Ind. From his first engagement with this company until 1906, he remained in its steady employ, with the exception of two years, during which, being inspired with an ambition to be a physician, he joined the staff of an insane asylum, in Indianapolis. Two years of this, however, caused him to decide that he was better suited for the cement business.

In 1906 he came to Austin and assumed his present position.

He is a Democrat, and belongs to the B. P. O. E., the I. O. R. M., and the F. O. E.

The subject of this sketch was married October 20, 1909, at Austin, to Margaret C. Bechel, daughter of John Bechel.

It is interesting to note that J. C. Taney is a direct descendant of Hon. Roger Brook Taney, chief justice of the United States, who rendered the Dred Scott decision, and was secretary of the treasury in 1833, under President Jackson, whose memorable influence on the finances of the country form a chapter in the story of the growth and development of the national government.

John W., a brother of J. C., was for many years express messenger for the Adams Express Company, at Cincinnati, Ohio.

James Taney was born in Kentucky and married Nancy Kramer, a native of Indiana. James was a cement worker and merchant.

In 1884 he moved his family to Sellersburg, Ind., and after working in one of the large cement plants there as superintendent, joined with friends and formed what is now the United States Cement Company, and of which he is still general superintendent.




Hiram E. Tanner

b: 1817

Hiram E. Tanner, a pioneer, was born in New York State November 26, 1817, and when a young man went with his parents to Pennsylvania.

In July, 1841, he married Eliza V. Meeker, a native of New York.

In November, 1856, they came west, stopping at Winona for the winter, and in the spring of the same year came to Red Rock township, Mower county, and settled in section 1, where he pre-empted land and where he lived until his death, June 8, 1880.

His wife departed this life April 2, 1872.

Mr. Tanner was a man of strong personality and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.

A strong Republican, he held many public offices in the county, including service as county commissioner in 1871, 1873, 1874 and 1875.


NOTE: Buried in the Tanner family cemetery.



De Los Tanner

b: 1847

De Los Tanner was born in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, December 26, 1847, son of Hiram E. and Eliza V. (Meeker) Tanner.

He received his education in the schools of his township and has devoted his life to farming, now owning a fine place of 360 acres, which includes the farm which his father pre-empted in the early days.

He has been county commissioner four years and has served in other positions of public and private trust and honor. He is a prominent member of Lafayette Lodge, No. 116, F. & A. M., of Brownsdale.

The subject of this sketch was married October 17, 1874, to Emma C. Langworthy, who was born in Winnebago county, Wisconsin, October 5, 1850, daughter of B. F. and Sarah M. Langworthy.

To Mr. and Mrs. Tanner have been born three children: Forrest O., Alice V. and Eliza M. Alice V. is the wife of John Day.




James M. Tanner

b: 1844

James M. Tanner, an honored and esteemed farmer of Red Rock township, is one of the earliest settlers of Mower county, still living, and during his residence here he has had the pleasure of seeing a wild prairie blossom forth with cities and villages, houses and barns, crops and live stock.

He was born in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, December 18, 1844, son of Ebenezer E. and Lydia A. (Colby) Tanner, the former of whom was born in Tompkins county, New York, September 25, 1824, and the latter in the same state in 1827.

In 1859, the family came to Red Rock township, where they lived until their death, Ebenezer E. passing away in 1878, and Lydia A. in 1860.

James M. Tanner assisted his father on the home farm and received his first education in a private school. Afterward, when the school district in Red Rock was organized, he completed his schooling in the public schools. He was hard at work on the farm when the Civil war broke out.

Quick to see his country's danger, he enlisted in Co. C, Ninth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served until April 3, 1865, when he was discharged by reason of poor health and general disability contracted in the service. During his war career he saw strenuous fighting for a year on the frontier against the Sioux, and later participated in the battles of Oxford and Nashville, as well as in many other skirmishes. After his discharge he returned to Red Rock and resumed farming.

His place, which is located in sections 11 and 12, consists of 157 acres, on which suitable buildings have been erected. His house, which is a substantial one, built in 1866, has been remodeled and repaired from time to time and now presents a comfortable and modern appearance.

The subject of this sketch was married, March 10, 1867, to Lois A. Dickins, daughter of Robert and Lois A. (Tanner) Dickins. She died some years later.

Later Mr. Tanner married Anna M. Colby, daughter of Amos and Mary (Stephens) Colby, the former a native of Bow, N. H., and descended from an early Colonial family. Mr. and Mrs. Tanner are the parents of Gladys G. and Pearl B.




Henry Taylor

b: 1820

Henry Taylor, one of the oldest residents of Mower county, has outlived four score and ten years, and is still hale and hearty and more active than many a younger man. He has seen life in three continents, Europe, Australia and North America.

The subject of this sketch was born in Wesel, Germany, May 1, 1820, and received his education in the public schools and at Wesel College, served one year in the standing army of Germany, and in 1844 went to Australia, where he engaged in the general mercantile business.

In 1865 he came to America and located at Milwaukee, still engaged in the general mercantile business, in which he continued for a period of seventeen years. During this period he owned several vessels on Lake Michigan. One, named from his daughter, Hetty Taylor, now lies at the bottom of that lake.

In 1882 Mr. Taylor disposed of his business in Milwaukee and came to Mower county, purchasing a farm of 240 acres in section 30, Marshall township, where he engaged in general farming, until 1900, when he sold to his son, Dr. E. A. Taylor, who is a prominent physician of Racine, Wis., still continuing, however, to look after the interests of the place for this son. After selling his farm, Mr. Taylor purchased a home in the village of Rose Creek, where he now lives a retired life. He is an independent voter and a member of the Congregational church.

The subject of this sketch was married in Australia, June -, 1858, to Mary Addison, who died July 13, 1900, leaving one son and two daughters: Dr. E. A., of Racine; Hetty, who married James Ballweber, now of Minneapolis; Bena, who married William Ballweber, now of Jamestown, N. D.

It is worthy of note that on his ninetieth birthday, friends and citizens of Rose Creek presented Mr. Taylor with a suitably engraved cane, commemorative of the event, the memento being highly prized by the recipient.




Teman Temanson

b: 1852

Teman Temanson, a retired farmer of Grand Meadow, was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, October 27, 1852, son of Teman and Inger Temanson, who came to America in 1852 and in 1865 located in Frankford township, this county, where they farmed all their lives.

Teman, the subject of this sketch, received his education in the district schools and farmed with his parents until thirty-three years of age, at which time he purchased 100 acres in Frankford township. To this he later added ninety acres, thus making a fine place of 190 acres on which he farmed until 1896, when he sold his farm, and moved to Grand Meadow village, where he has since resided.

He is a Republican in politics, a member of the M. W. A. and a stockholder in the First National Bank, of Grand Meadow, and in the M. W. A. hall in the same place.

He attends the Lutheran church.

Mr. Temanson was married June 22, 1879, to Mary Severson, who has proven a capable helpmeet.




Sever Temanson

b: 1860

Sever Temanson, a hard-working farmer of Racine township, was born in Green county, Wisconsin, December 16, 1860, son of T. T. Omsrud and Inge Omsrud Temanson, who came to Mower county in 1866 and settled in Racine township. The father was a shoemaker and farmer, and continued these occupations until his death in 1887. The mother died in 1867.

Sever was educated in the district schools and as a young man, worked out. In 1888 he purchased eighty acres in section 5, Racine township, and eighty acres in Frankford township. Here he carries on general farming, raises Durham cattle for dual purposes, and has a fine drove of Red Jersey pigs.

Mr. Temanson is an independent Republican.

He was road overseer one year, school director two years, school treasurer fifteen years and has served in other positions of public and private trust and honor, including two years' work as a member of the town board. He has been a director of the Grand Meadow creamery seven years and is also a director of the Farmers' store at Spring Valley.

His wife, Andrine, whom he married March 18, 1886, was born June 15, 1865, and died June 21, 1907.

The Temanson home has been blessed with ten children: Ida, Sanford, Ely, Mattie, Albert, Alice, Martha, Toulo, Milton and Thelma. Ida married Halvor Hanson, of Racine, and Sanford is a clerk in a store in North Dakota. The rest are at home.




John Terlinden

b: 1858

John Terlinden, a prosperous farmer of Frankford township, was born in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, February 6, 1858, son of Jacob and Katherine Terlinden, natives of the Rhine country in Germany.

He received his education in the public schools of his native county, there grew to manhood and remained at home engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1884, when he came to Minnesota, located in Carver county, and purchased ninety-six acres of land in Young America township. There he followed farming until 1900, when he came to Mower county and purchased 160 acres in Frankford township, half in section 17 and half in section 20. He greatly improved the land and buildings and has successfully conducted farming operations.

Mr. Terlinden is a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator Company at Grand Meadow and in the Geiser Threshing Company No. 1, of Frankford township.

He is a Republican, attends the German Lutheran church and belongs to the M. W. A.

The subject of this sketch was married,. September 18, 1884, to Amelia Buss, of Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, and they have seven children: Jacob, John, Minnie, Lizzie, Henry, William and Clarrissa.




Jacob Terlinden

#1 of 2 items

Jacob Terlinden was born in the Rhine country in Germany and with his wife Katherine came to America in 1843.

After stopping a month in Milwaukee, they located in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, and there farmed the remainder of their days, Jacob dying in 1886 and Katherine in 1906.

They were the parents of nine children: Peter lives on the old homestead in Fond du Lac county; Katherine is Mrs. Henry Schmidt, of Wayne, Wis.; Sybilla is Mrs. John Wagner, of Grand Meadow; Minnie died at the age of twenty-five; John lives in Frankford township, this county; Jacob lives in McLeod county, Minn.; Jerry lives in Carver county, Minnesota; Elizabeth is Mrs. William Cisco, of Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin; Annie is Mrs. Amos Cisco, of Thorpe, Wisconsin.


#2 of 2 items

Jacob Terlinden and Katherine Engefels, his wife, parents of Mrs. John Wagner, of Grand Meadow, were natives of Germany and came to America at an early day, locating in Fond du Lac. Wis., where they farmed all their lives.

They were the parents of nine children: Peter, who is on the old homestead in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin; Katherine, who is now Mrs. Henry Schmidt, of Wayne, Wis.; Sybila, now Mrs. John Wagner, of Grand Meadow; John, of Frankford township; Mina, now dead; Jacob, of Glencoe, Minn.; Elizabeth, now Mrs. William N. Cisco, of Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin; Gerhard, of Young America, Minn., and Anna, now Mrs. Amos Crico, of Thorpe, Wis.






Walter R. Terry

b: 1857

Walter R. Terry, a popular and efficient conductor on the Iowa & Minnesota division of the C., M. & St. P., is a native of this state, having been born in Winona, Minn., October 24, 1857, son of H. S. and Mary (Frink) Terry.

He received his education in Winona, and followed harness making at St. Charles and Winona for five years. Then he went to Flandreau, S.D., and was in the land agency business for five years and in the lumber business for three years.

In April, 1887, he came to Austin, and engaged as a brakeman with the C., M. & St. P. Two years later he was promoted to conductor, which vocation he has since followed. He thus has nearly a quarter of a century of railroad service to his credit, and during that long period his success, his popularity and his efficiency has increased. In addition to his business, Mr. Terry makes a specialty of raising Shetland ponies, of which he is very proud, having some unusually fine specimens.

Mr. Terry is a staunch Republican, and while never aspiring to office has always taken an active part in politics, and was one of the ardent workers in electing C. F. Cook to the state senate in 1910. He belongs to the Order of Railway Conductors, the B. P. O. E., the F. O. E. and the Austin Commercial Club.

The subject of this sketch was married January 1, 1885, at Flandreau, S.D., to Fannie Churchill, born in Cottage Grove, Washington county, Minnesota, August 5, 1866, daughter of J. A. and Nellie (Cate) Churchill, the former now a resident of Denver, Col., and the latter having died August 15, 1899.

Mr. Terry is the father of four children: Cassius C., brakeman on the I. & M. division of the C., M. & St. P.; Edgar E., brakeman on same division; Enila, stenographer for E. H. Smith Land Company, and John H., attending school.

The family attends the Episcopal church.




H. S. Terry

H. S. Terry and Mary Frink, his wife, were natives of New York State.

They came west in 1854 and located at Winona, where H.S. conducted the pioneer livery business and stage route.

In 1865 he took up farming in Fremont township, Winona county. Ten years later he went to Brookings county, South Dakota, for a year, and then farmed for a time in Utica township, in Winona county, this state. Later he retired and took up his home in Winona, living there until his death, July 7, 1899.

His widow died July 2, 1910.




Webization by Kermit Kittleson
©2008 MnGenWeb