Mower County, Minnesota

Group File 16


George Robertson

George Robertson was born in Scotland, and there married Margaret Lang, a native of the same country. They came to America in 1844, located in Porter, Rock county, Wisconsin, and engaged in farming until George Robertson died in 1859.

The family then lived on the farm until 1865, when they sold out and came to Minnesota, locating in London township, Freeborn county, on a farm.

In 1881 Mrs. Robertson sold her farm and made her home with her children until her death in Austin, in 1896. Their daughter, Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Dugan, was born November 14, 1846, at Porter, Rock county, Wisconsin.




George Robertson

George Robertson, auditor of Mower county, has achieved an enviable reputation as a man of public affairs, both in Austin, where he performs the duties of his county office, and in Lyle, where he was for many years prominent in municipal activities. Mr. Robertson was born in Rock county, Wisconsin, and as a youth was brought to London township, Freeborn county, this state.

After leaving school he worked summers and taught school winters, until 1892, when he located in Lyle, engaging in the drug business, remaining ten years. During this time, in 1896, he became principal of the Lyle schools. At Lyle he took an active interest in village affairs, being assessor of the township seven years, president of the village board two years, postmaster of the village six years and president of the school board two years.

In the fall of 1902 he yielded to the solicitation of his friends and consented to become a candidate for the auditorship of the county. He was elected by a large majority and took office the following January. He has succeeded himself every term since then, and has served with ability and distinction. An active Republican in politics, he has served on the congressional and county committees.

In 1907 he was elected president of the State Auditors' Association, and was re-elected the following year. Mr. Robertson is also a member of the Royal Arcanum, the I. O. 0. F., the K. of P., the Masonic order, the B. P. O. E., the M. W. A. and the F. O. E.

George was married April 3, 1883, at Austin, to Sarah Marsh, of Waupun, Wis., and this union has been blessed with five children: Burton J., postmaster and manager of the telephone company at Lyle, Minn.; Etta L., in charge of the musical department of the Pikeville Institute, at Pikeville, Ky., and Ross, Ora and Ralph, who are at home. The family faith is that of the Presbyterian church and the residence is at 915 Lansing avenue.




John Robertson

John Robertson, retired farmer and veteran of the Civil war, now living in Austin, was born in Scotland and came to this country in early boyhood, settling in Rock county, Wisconsin, where he married Margaret Campbell, likewise of Scotch birth, who also came to this country when a child.

They farmed in Wisconsin until June, 1866, when they came to Minnesota and located in London township, Freeborn county, where they remained until 1893, when they retired and came to Austin to live. Mrs. Robertson died March 17, 1908. Their son, George Robertson, is county auditor of Mower County.




Burton J. Robertson

Burton J. Robertson, postmaster of Lyle and general manager of the Lyle Telephone Company, is one of those energetic young men whose presence in a village adds to its progress and development. With a young man's enthusiasm he has plunged into the business life of the community, and has made his work felt.

He was born in Lyle township, May 3, 1882, son of County Auditor George Robertson. He received his early education in the district schools of his township, and graduated from the Austin high school in 1901. He clerked in a drug store for a while and then in 1902 received his appointment as postmaster, having in the meantime assumed his present position in the telephone company.

Mr. Robertson is a Republican in politics and for four years has served as a member of the school board. He is also a popular member of the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Robertson was married November 11, 1903, to Bertha L. Anderson, and this union has resulted in one child, Merwyn A., born May 28, 1909.




Henry Roberts

Henry Roberts was born in Norfolk, England, and came alone to America at an early age. He located in Jamestown, N. Y., and married Jane Hill Locke, of Bristol, N. H., a teacher in the public schools of Fryesburg, N. Y. In the year 1855 he came to Minnesota and in March, 1856, came to Mower county, Lyle township.

A year later Mrs. Roberts came west and was met at Caledonia by her husband with an ox team. Together they journeyed overland to the little home by the Cedar. Here he acquired a farm of 900 acres and farmed it for many years. Seven children were born to them, five of whom are living: Annice, now Mrs. Edward McMahn; Eunice, widow of Charles M. Rice; Benjamin (deceased), Charles A., Adelbert, Henry, Eva (deceased), wife of C. E. Lashbrook. They moved to Austin about thirty years ago. Here Mrs. Roberts died in 1897 and he is still living in the city.




T. N. Roble

b: 1875

T.N. Roble, of Austin, proprietor of the Merle Cafe, was born in Mankato, Minn., August 30, 1875, son of Ignatius and Louisa (Warnemunda) Roble. He received his education in the public schools and then learned the printers' trade with the Austin Transcript. Subsequently he worked on the Journal, in St. Peter, Minn.; and then upon his return to Austin he worked a short period on the Herald. In the spring of 1893 he went to the Columbian Exposition at Chicago, and remained through the summer, working with the Rogers-Pitkin-Hall Printing Company, on Dearborn street.

In the fall of the same year, after a short interim spent at his trade in Nebraska, he again returned to Austin and worked on the Herald. In 1895 he went to Springfield, Minn., and opened a lunch room. In 1897 he went to Devil's Lake, N. D., and conducted a pool room and restaurant for five years; sold out and went to Granville, N. D., and engaged in the drug business; then sold out and went to Glenburn, N. D., where he conducted a restaurant, afterwards being interested in a pool room at Noonan, N. D.

In 1908 he once more took up his residence in Austin, and opened the Merle Cafe at 130 East Mill street, where he has built up a large trade and a flourishing business, combining a first class lunch room with an up-to-date and pleasant pool and billiard hall. It is worthy of note that not one of the many interests in which Mr. Roble has engaged has proven anything but a financial success.




Ignatius Roble

Ignatius Roble came from Germany in 1859, located in Mankato and lived there for many years, engaging in the manufacture of matches. The factory was destroyed by fire, and Ignatius Roble moved to Austin, engaging in the milling business the remainder of his life, his death dating December 8, 1893. His wife is still living and conducts her son's home at 506 Oakland Avenue, Austin.




John E. Robinson

b: 1837

John E. Robinson, an honored and respected pioneer of Mower county, Minnesota, was born in Monroe county, New York, September 24, 1837. While in his infancy, he came to Wayne county, New York, with his parents, receiving his early education in the public schools of Newark, Wayne county, and completing his studies at the Collegiate Institute of Rochester, New York.

He then read law with Attorneys L. M. Norton and S. K. Williams of Newark, being admitted to the bar at Auburn, N. Y., 1859, and immediately afterwards formed a co-partnership with his recent instructor, L. M. Norton, at Newark. In the fall of 1862 he came west, having dissolved his partnership with Mr. Norton, and located at Lansing, Mower county, Minnesota, subsequently being admitted to the Minnesota bar, but did not engage in the practice of his profession, maintaining himself by school teaching for a year.

The call to arms of 1861 was then sounded and he responded by enlisting in Company B, Second Minnesota Cavalry, serving until his discharge at Fort Snelling, December 1, 1865. The most of his service was on the frontier under General Sully, the hard, fast fighting showing the splendid metal of the Second Minnesota Cavalry. After his discharge he returned to Lansing, continuing teaching, and taking up farming in addition, having at one time over 400 acres of land in Lansing and Udolpho townships. In 1882 he removed to Austin and took charge of the Hotel Windsor for five years, subsequently purchasing another hotel, the Robinson House, which he remodeled and conducted until 1892. While a hotel proprietor he was five years agent for the Adams Express Company. He was appointed to fill out an unexpired term as justice of the peace of the First ward, in 1892, and was later elected for the twelve ensuing years. Since the expiration of this term of office he has lived retired at his beautiful home at 106 South Main Street. In politics he is a temperance Republican, and has served several years as a member of the Austin board of education, in addition to his twelve years of service as justice of the peace. The Grand Army of the Republic and the Modern Woodmen of America count him a valued member. He is also a staunch upholder of the Baptist church, having been a member since eleven years of age, and a deacon and trustee of the First Baptist church of Austin for many years.

December 9, 1858, he was married to Elizabeth Hutchinson of Rochester, New York. Five children have blessed this marriage: William H., born May 1, 1860, died April 17, 1879; Sarah Belle, born June 10, 1863, is now married to F. E. Gleason, a jeweler of Austin; Otis H., born May 8, 1868, died November 17, 1907; Emma L., born January 14, 1870, is now living in Minneapolis; and John F., born January 16, 1875, is president of the First National Bank of Steele, N. D., the bank of which his father is vice president. Robert and Sally (Hall) Robinson, parents of our subject, were natives of the state of New York. In 1841 the father removed to Wayne county, New York, where he followed general farming until his death, December 24, 1884. His wife followed him to the Great Beyond, December 25, 1886.




Thomas Rochford

b: 1856

Thomas Rochford was born in St. George, Canada, April 7, 1856. At the age of ten years he moved to this county with his parents, his education being acquired in the district schools of Austin township. Leaving school, he followed farming in Lyle township, Mower county, until 1881, when he came to Austin and engaged in the confectionery business two years, subsequently spending a summer in Valparaiso, Ind. Then returning to Minnesota, he located at Lyle village, receiving employment as clerk in the postoffice and general store, in addition conducting a boarding house.

After remaining in Lyle three years, he removed to Austin and established the pioneer express line of the city, adding the first hack line three years later, operating these for a period of eleven years, then selling out and conducting a dray line for two years. This business and equipment he traded for western land, marking his entry into the real estate business, in which he remained four years, as a co-partner in the Rochford Land Company of Austin. He traded his interest in the company for his property of seventy acres on South Kenwood avenue, it being valued at $300 per acre, containing immense quantities of gravel and sand.

Mr. Rochford is now engaged in the manufacture of all kinds of cement building material on this place. He has erected twenty-one houses in the city of Austin, five being constructed of cement blocks of his own manufacture. He has now disposed of all but four. An extensive real estate business claims much of his attention, and a large number of high-bred driving horses, of which he is a great fancier, pass through his hands. He owns one team that he values at $2,500. All his success he owes to his untiring efforts and the assistance of his loving wife.

As to political convictions, he is a Republican, but his large business interests have prevented him from seeking office. His fraternal affiliations are with the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Order of Foresters, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Equitable Fraternal Union, and the Order of Owls, in which he is past president. He has served as trustee in all his lodges. I-e is also serving as vice president of the Catholic Total Abstinence Society of Austin.

November 26, 1882, he was married to Ella Davison of Valparaiso, Ind., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. P. Davison. They have seven living children, two others being dead. Nina (deceased), Pearl, Leo, Isa, Ora (deceased), Meda, Harold, John, and Mabel. The family attends the Catholic church. James and Pauline (La Chance) Rochford, parents of our subject, emigrated from Canada in 1866, locating in Lyle township, Mower county, Minnesota, where the father followed his trade as a carpenter until 1871.

He then went to Crookston, Minn., leaving his family at Lyle township, and remained fourteen years, working at his trade. Returning to Lyle township, he lived a retired life up to the time of his death. The mother is still living at Austin.




Andrew Dovenberg

Andrew Dovenberg, now deceased, never resided in Mower county, but has a large family here, his widow and children having taken up their residence in Austin after his death.

He was born in Germany, came to America, located in Indiana, and there in 1863 was married, his wife's maiden name being Barbara Rush. She was born in Germany in 1846, and came to America with her parents when but two years of age. Her parents remained in Hamilton, Ohio, six years and then located in Indiana.

There the marriage took place, and in 1869 Mr. and Mrs. Dovenberg went to Ridgeway, Iowa, and remained four years. Preston, Minn., was their next dwelling place. There Mr. Dovenberg was injured by one of his horses, and from the effects of the accident died shortly afterward. Subsequent to the death of her husband Mrs. Dovenberg took up her residence in Austin, where she has since lived, at the present time making her home in a fine residence on Mill street. She has worked hard for her children, and in them she takes her greatest joy and pride, her great grandchildren, Donald and Vera, being her special happiness.

The nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Dovenberg were Elizabeth, Dora, George, John, Louis, Edward, Daniel, Cora and Emma. Elizabeth married William Brown, and they live in Decorah, Iowa, having twelve children: Leah, Reuben, Roy, Raymond, William, Daisy, Carlie, Claude, Ned, Harry, Daniel and Sadie. Leah, the oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Brown, married Adam Barsh, and they have two children, Donald and Vera. Dora, the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dovenberg, married John Furtney, and they have three children: Raymond, Hazel and Dorothy. George married Sarah Mapes and they have three children: Earle, Vernon and Ladice. John married Sarah Hale. Louis married Ella Swainson and they have two children, Doris and Donald. Edward and Daniel, the sixth and seventh children of Mr. and Mrs. Dovenberg, are engineers on the C., M. & St. P. Cora and Emma are at home. Cora is a dressmaker and Emma assistant bookkeeper at Hormel's provision market.



Heman B. Roe

Heman B. Roe, retired farmer, has held various public offices in Lansing township, having served as assessor, supervisor and member of the school board. He was born at Chester, Ohio, son of Orson and Maria (Armstrong) Roe, pioneers. When Heman B. was but twelve years of age the family moved to Illinois, and in 1868 they moved to Mower county, and after living five years in the township of Waltham took up their abode in Lansing village. The subject of this sketch worked about on farms, and then acquired one of his own. He still owns a fine place in the township, but does not operate it himself. Heman B. Roe married Katherine Dickerson, daughter of Joseph and Mary Jane (Stockdale) Dickerson, and they have one son, Louis D., who lives at home.




Orson Roe

Orson Roe, the pioneer, was born in Schoharie county, New York, and married Maria Armstrong. In 1828 he moved to Ohio, and in 1853 to Illinois, dying there in 1861; after which his family moved to Mower county, Minnesota.

In this family were four girls and three boys, four of these children being now alive. Philo lives in Woodstock, Ill.; Elizabeth is the wife of Wesley Scranton; Charlotte is now- Mrs. John Thompson, and Heman B. lives in Lansing. Joseph and Mary Jane (Stockdale) Dickerson, parents of Mrs. Heman B. Roe, were both born in Michigan. In the early days they moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and there Katherine, now Mrs. Heman Roe, was born.

Later they came to Mower county. Mrs. Roe first attended school in an old log schoolhouse in Freeborn county, and later in the schools of Cedar City and Lansing. Aside from Mrs. Roe, two of the family are living: Clarence, of Canada, and Mary Ann Hagadorn, of Bluffton, Iowa.




Axel Roe

Axel Roe, an industrious farmer of Lodi township, was horn in Norway in 1865, son of Ole and Katherine Larson Roe, both now deceased. Axel came to America in 1889, landed in New York and then came west to Praltar, Iowa, where he engaged in railroading for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul for three years.

Then he moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he worked for the B. C. R. N. railroad four years. Then he came to Adams and purchased 160 acres in Clayton township. After farming there for four years he sold out and then purchased 160 acres in Mitchell county, Iowa. After two years he sold out and purchased 160 acres in section 26, Lodi township, where he carries on general farming, raises Shorthorn cattle for beef and dairy purposes and has a drove of thirty-three Chester White swine, as well as twelve Percheron horses.

In addition to his property in Lodi, he owns sixty-five acres in Mitchell county, Iowa. Mr. Roe is a Republican in politics and has been school director of district 80 for some years. He wasmarried in 1892 at Cedar Rapids to Annie Jondal, of Norway, and they have six bright children: Otis, Conrad August, Arthur Segard, Theodore Clarence, Archibald Gerhard and Alma Senora. The five sturdy boys attend school.

The family faith is that of the Norwegian Lutheran church.




James Z. Rogers

b: 1873

James Z. Rogers, whose parents were one of the territorial families of Minnesota, was born in Faribault, Minn., August 5, 1873, son of Caleb E. and Mary J. (Shonts) Rogers. He received his earlier education in the public schools of Faribault and then attended the Faribault Business College, later clerking in the grocery store of A. J. Grant. Subsequently he worked a year for Grant, Linton & Co., general railroad constructors, as overseer of one of their contracts in Iowa.

In January, 1900, he came to Austin and engaged in the carriage manufactory business with H. M. Hanson for one year. Then he purchased the business and operated it alone until 1906, when he took William H. Teeter as partner.

In 1909 he again became sole owner, and now does a large business in making carriages and repairing automobiles. He has been chancellor and is now lecturer of the Knights of Columbus, and has also been banker of the M. W. A. He votes independently and is a member of the Catholic Church.

Mr. Rogers was married May 1, 1901, at Austin, to Mary C. Reilly, of this place, and to this union have been born three children: Milton F., born June 16, 1902, and Madrienne MI., twins, and Erving E., born January 30, 1907. Mr. Rogers is a lineal descendant of Joseph Rogers, who came to America in the Mayflower. One of his ancestors also took part in the Revolutionary war.




Caleb E. Rogers

b: 1855

Caleb E. Rogers, the pioneer, was born in Bangor, Me., came west in 1855, and located in Waterville, Minn., where he married Mary J. Shonts, who was born in Pennsylvania, and came west in 1856, locating on Cannon Lake, near Faribault.

He later located in Faribault, and there followed his trade as a carpenter until 1889, when he went to Waterville, Wash., where he still resides. His wife, who has to travel for her health, is at present located in Los Angeles, California.




G. M. F. Rogers, M. D.

b: 1874

G. M. F. Rogers, M. D., one of the leading physicians of Austin, was born in Otsego, Otsego county, New York, November 19, 1874, son of William M. and Helen M. (Martin) Rogers, who in 1879 took him to South Dakota. He was reared in Doland in that state, and there received his earlier education, graduating from the Doland high school. In 1895 he entered Hamline University, and in 1.899 graduated from the medical department of that institution, which is conducted as a part of the University of Minnesota.

He spent the following year as an interne in the Minneapolis City Hospital, and then practiced his profession at Rothsey, Minn., removing to Buffalo, Minn., in 1902, and remaining there until 1905. His rapidly increasing practice, his long hours, and the many demands made on his time and health impaired his strength, and for the next four years he retired from practice, but devoted his time to attending special clinics in the eye, ear, nose and throat, in Philadelphia, Chicago and New York.

In 1907 he came to Austin, where he has since enjoyed a full measure of success. Dr. Rogers is a high degree Mason, a member of the M. W. A. and of the Austin Commercial Club. He was married December 17, 1902, to Nellie R. Hassinger. The family faith is that of the Methodist church.




William M. Rogers

William M. Rogers was born in New York state and there married Helen M. Martin, a native of the same state. They came west in 1878 and located for a short period near Benson, in Swift county, Minnesota. Then they went to Gary, S. D., and after a short period there, went to Doland, in the same state.

When a young man, William M. was a decorator for the D. & H. R. R., but was injured by an elevator accident and being crippled, came west and took up the mercantile business. He died at Doland, S. D., March 15, 1895, and his widow is still living.




Reuben Rollings

Reuben Rollings, now deceased, was born in Leicestershire, England, April 12, 1825, seventh of the eleven children of John and Lucy (Pick) Rollings, both natives of England, where John Rollings was engaged in the mercantile and commission business. Reuben received his education in the English schools, and when he grew to manhood married Jane Fisher, February 18, 1856.

She was from his native place and was born May 20, 1830. Soon after their marriage they came to America and settled in Dane county, Wis., where Reuben Rollings engaged in farming until 1861, when he came to Fillmore county, Minnesota, and remained until the summer of 1867, when he moved to Waltham township, Mower county. In the fall of 1877 he came to Red Rock township, where his widow now resides, and died in September, 1906.

Mr. Rollings in his life was a strong Republican and held many town offices at various times. To Mr. and Mrs. Rollings were born six children: Joseph W., Alfred F., Mary A., Amelia J., Henry J. and Emma, L. Mary A. is the wife of D. A. Lamport, and they have two boys, Harold and Leonard. Amelia J. married Arthur Burnett, and they have three children: Ethel, Raymond and Marion. Henry J. lives in Fergus Falls; Emma L. is the wife of the Rev. O. F. Jones, and they have one son.




John H. Rongley

b: 1843

John H. Rongley, now deceased, was a quiet, hard-working and industrious citizen of Bennington township. A good husband and considerate father, he left behind him a pleasant memory of a life well lived. John H. Rongley was born in Norway in 1843, and came to Ameria in 1868, locating in Mower county in 1877.

Here he purchased 240 acres in sections 34 and .2 7 , and there farmed the remainder of his life. He was a Republican in politics, but never sought public office. He was married June 30, 1878, to Sophia Matson, who was born in Norway, August 23, 1853, and came to America in 1876.

Four children were born in the family: Henry M., December 29, 1882; Alma, August 29, 1885; John H., May 25, 1888; Clara, born February 20, 1891. Mr. Rongley departed this life, May 20, 1893.




Charles A. Roy b: 1842

b: 1842

Charles A. Roy, for many years a prominent merchant of LeRoy, was actively identified with the social, business, political, civic and fraternal life of the county, and his life and character had a most salutary effect on the progress of the village. He was born in Lyndon, Illinois, February 8, 1842, son of Judge John Roy and Martha Foster Roy, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter of New Hampshire, from which states they moved to Illinois at an early date.

Charles A. was reared on a farm, and received a good education, being engaged in farm pursuits at the outbreak of the Civil war. When but nineteen years of age he enlisted as a bugler in McClellan's Dragoons, August 2, 1861, at Chicago. He served in the Peninsular Campaign under McClellan, and saw his first service at Williamsburg, where a horse was shot under him. Mr. Roy served with the Army of the Potomac, until the fall of 1863, his last service with this army being in October of that year, around Culpepper.

In this engagement he also had a horse shot under him. After this, the company was placed in the Twelfth Illinois Cavalry, and Mr. Roy was sent home sixty days to recruit. Then he went to St. Louis and New Orleans, and thence up the Red river to Alexandria, seeing service about the Red and Atchafalaya rivers. Then he went to New Orleans, and eventually was assigned the duty of hunting guerillas about Donaldsonville, where he was honorably discharged, August 4, 1864, reaching home, September 18 of the same year.

A year later, November 30, 1865, he was married at Lyndon, Illinois, to Frances E. Lathe, daughter of Moses and Elizabeth (Rogers) Lathe, natives, respectively, of Massachusetts and New York, who located at Amboy, Lee county, Illinois, in 1848, and in Lyndon, Illinois, in 1851, Moses Lathe passing away in 1880 at the age of eighty-one years, and his wife in 1853 at the age of thirty-six years. Mrs. Roy was born in Hornby, Steuben county, New York, August 11, 1844.

After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Roy spent a few years in Lyndon, and then in April, 1868, came to LeRoy, where Mr. Roy associated himself with I. Ingmandson in the tin and hardware business. The firm continued until 1871, when Mr. Ingmandson retired and Mr. Roy took over the business alone.

After many years he received his son Foster L. into partnership, and the firm became C. A. Roy & Son. At the time of his death, Mr. Roy had been in continuous business in LeRoy for forty-two years. He was a member of the Masonic order, and belonged to the Knights Templar and the Eastern Star, being also a member of the G. A. R. In these orders he took an active interest, holding the highest positions in the gift of each.

When the village was organized Mr. Roy was one of the committee on incorporation, and was elected first recorder, a position in which he served for many years. He was also one of the first trustees of the opera house and for several years its manager. In every way he was a most useful citizen.

At the time of his death, December 5, 1910, he left besides his widow, four children: Mrs. Mabel R. Coffeen, of Westboro, Massachusetts; C. I., a prominent clothing merchant of LeRoy; Foster L., a hardware merchant of LeRoy, and Frank V., of Springfield, Missouri. The widow of the subject of this sketch is one of four children: Sarah L., deceased; Mrs. C. A. Roy; Wilhelmina, now Mrs. Quackenbush, of Seattle, Washington; and Charles, of Illinois. Mr. Roy was a member of the school board for a good many years and was president of that body at the time of the building of the new school.




Knute Rudlong

b: 1864

Knute Rudlong, who has farmed in Adams township since 1884, was born in Valdris, Norway, in 1864, son of Arlag and Marit Rudlong, his wife deceased. Knute came to America in 1884 and located in Adams township, where he worked by the month for four years. At the end of that time he bought 120 acres and started to improve the place.

He now has an excellent farm, with comfortable house, well kept barns, a suitable amount of shade trees, a windmill and modern machinery. In previous years Mr. Rudlong made a specialty of grains. He is a Republican in politics and was road overseer in the township two years. The Lutheran church expresses his religious creed and he has been trustee of the church of that denomination in Adams for three years.

The subject of this sketch was married in 1888 to Rachel Olson, and this union has been blessed with one daughter, Ida, who after completing the course in Adams schools creditably, is now helping her mother at home.

December 3, 1905, Mr. Rudlong paid a visit to his old home, visiting his old father, three brothers and a sister, whom he had not seen for twenty-one years. He sailed on the steamship Baltic on the White Star line.




Engbret Rudlong

b: 1857

Engbret Rudlong, a substantial farmer of Lodi township, was born in Norway in 1857, son of Alex Rudlong, who died in Norway in 1908. Engbret came to America at twenty-seven years of age, landed in New York and came directly to Adams, where he worked out as a farm hand seven years. Then he purchased eighty acres in section 5, Lodi township, and made general improvements, erecting a home and barn and raising a windmill to pump water. He has since followed intensive farming, and raises also Shorthorn cattle for beef and dairy purposes, selling cream to the Adams Co-operative Creamery, in which he is one of the stockholders and which he assisted in organizing.

Mr. Rudlong is a Republican in politics and attends the Lutheran church. He was married in 1891 to Annie Wiste, who was born in Norway and came to the United States in 1889. This union has been blessed with seven children: Mabel, Artie, Harry, Eddie, Eda, Nordine and Violet, all at home. Harry, Eddie and Eda attend school.




Hans Rudolph

b: 1856

Hans Rudolph, a retired farmer, is one of the respected residents of LeRoy village. He was born in Denmark, April 24, 1856, son of George and Christina Rudolph, both of whom lived and died in the old country. Hans received his education in his native country, and in 1874 came to America, stopping off for a few months in Illinois and then coming to Minnesota where, until 1884, he worked out as a farm hand. Then he rented land for a time, and later purchased a tract of land in Howard county, Iowa, where he farmed for six years.

At the end of that period he purchased 240 acres in LeRoy township, and followed farming for many years. When his health became impaired he retired, and in 1906 took up his residence in the village.

In February, 1911, he purchased the residence adjoining his own home. Mr. Rudolph was married February 28, 1884, to Annie Marie Krogh, daughter of George and Marie Krogh, natives of Denmark. Mrs. Rudolph was born in Denmark April 3, 1851, and came to this country with her parents. She nowmakes a home for her father, her mother being dead. Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph have two children: Elmer C. is an attorney in Towner, McHenry county, North Dakota, and George P. lives in LeRoy.




Jay J. Rugg

b: 1872

Jay J. Rugg, of Austin, founder and part owner of the Austin Dairy Company, was born in Red Rock, Mower County, Minnesota, May 16, 1872, son of John D. and Barbara J. (Ticknor) Rugg. He attended the district schools of his neighborhood and the high school in Austin, remaining at home and working on the farm with his father until his marriage in 1896. He then rented a farm and worked on his own account for three years, later removing to the "Sargeant Springs" place, so called, where he started the nucleus of what afterward developed into the Austin Dairy Company. Mr. Rugg improved the farm, constructed several buildings, and put the place in proper shape for an extensive dairy business.

After a time he abandoned this place, and in company with F. W. Kimball and D. H. Stimson, formed the Austin Dairy Company. They commenced business on the corner of Chatham and Oakland Avenue, but their business expanded and grew to such proportions that they were obliged to find more spacious quarters. Consequently they purchased their present plant on East Maple Street.

In addition to the usual dairy business of retailing milk and cream, they handle butter, poultry, eggs and ice cream. In 1909 they purchased the egg and cold storage plant known as the "Old Major" plant. Mr. Rugg is a popular young man, and belongs to the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen.

He married Tillie Dochterman, daughter of William Dochterman, and they have four children: Merville D., Raymond P., Barbara J. and Jay J., Jr.




William A. Rugg

b: 1877

William A. Rugg was born in Red Rock township, November 26, 1877, son of J. D. and Barbra (Ticknor) Rugg, natives of New York state, who came west in 1857 and preempted land in section 34, Red Rock township, erecting first a shack, and then a small frame house which stood until the present family residence was erected in 1872.

In this home William A. was reared, receiving his education in the "Pioneer" school, district 41, and in the Franklin school at Austin. When he attained his majority he engaged with his father in the coal and wood business for a time and then worked as fireman on the S. M. division of the C., M. & St. P. railroad for six months, subsequently taking up farming on the old homestead, where he is now located.

He married Clara Mott, daughter of Lorenzo and Sarah (Brockway) Mott, and they are the parents of three boys, Albert W., aged nine; J. Donald, aged seven, and Everett M., aged five.




William Rutherford

b: 1822

William Rutherford, now deceased, was a prominent man of the early days and was instrumental in strengthening the Catholic faith in this locality, contributing liberally in time and money to its cause.

He was born in the county of Dublin, Ireland, April 27, 1822, and there grew to manhood, receiving a good common school education. His early manhood was spent in farming in his native country, and in 1846 he married Charlotte Green, who was born July 15, 1818. In 1850 they left the old country and sought their fortunes in America.

They landed in New York City, July 12, then went to Kentucky and remained until 1854, going thence to Iowa, where they remained for nearly a year.

August 10, 1855, they came to Mower County, entered the east half of the east fourth of section 11, and proceeded to build a log house, which is still standing one-half mile from the village of Lansing. His prosperity increased, his farm was developed, and he attained success by hard work and perseverance.

It is an interesting fact that Mr. Rutherford assisted in laying the corner stone for the first church erected in Austin.




Artemus W. Sanborn

b: 1833

Artemus W. Sanborn, a venerable and honored citizen of Racine township, was born in eastern Canada December 5, 1833, son of Stephen and Rhoda (Clement) Sanborn, the pioneers. Artemus received his education in the public schools of Dodge county, Wisconsin, where he was taken by his parents in 1843. There he grew to manhood, and in the year 1856 came to Mower county and preempted the northwest quarter of section 26, in Racine township.

After proving up his claim, he went back to Wisconsin, and there remained until 1862, when he came to Mower county again, and settled on his claim, living on it three years. In 1865 he sold out, and purchased his present place of eighty acres in section 35, where he built his home, developed the land, and made all improvements, following general farming until 1882, when he secured a position as railway mail clerk. This position he held until 1887, his run being between Winona and Chicago.

During this period of five years he made his home in Rochester that he might better educate his children and be nearer his work. At the close of this period he returned to his farm in Racine and carried on general farming until 1900, when he retired from active life. He and his good wife continue to live on the home farm, which has been in their possession for forty-six years.

Mr. Sanborn is a Republican and has served as town clerk and as assessor and a member of the school board; he was census enumerator in 1880. He is a high degree Mason and a member of the Methodist church.

Artemus W. Sanborn was married November 19, 1866, to Mrs. Harriett (Cochrane) Allen, who was born in New York State, January 2, 1838, daughter of James and Fidelia (Aldrich) Cochrane. The Cochranes came west to Dodge county from New York state in 1848, and there James Cochrane died in 1852, his wife, Fidelia, expiring in Juneau county, Wisconsin, in 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Sanborn have two children, Clara B. and Charles W. Clara B. married Attorney Charles E. Callaghan, postmaster at Rochester, and they have four children, Howard, Lola, Helen and Gertrude. Mrs. Sanborn died February 27, 1911.




Charles W. Sanborn

b: 1872

Charles W. Sanborn, son of Artemus and Harriett Sanborn, was born in Racine township, June 15, 1872. He received his education in the public schools of his neighborhood, attended the public schools of Rochester and finished with a course in the Darling Business College, at Rochester, from which institution he graduated, July 5, 1894. He then returned to Racine township, and engaged in farming.

He now rents his father's farm of 100 acres, is successful in his operations and is well thought of in the community.

He married Anna Eichhorn November 18, 1897. She was born in Racine, October.25, 1870, daughter of A. Eichhorn and Rosa Roth, his wife, retired farmers living in Racine village. Mr. Sanborn is a member of the M. W. A. and the I. O. 0. F.




Stephen J. Sanborn

b: 1837

Stephen J. Sanborn has occupied a position of trust and honor in the community for many years, and his influence and integrity have had much to do with the shaping of the destinies of his vicinity. He was an efficient and courageous deputy sheriff under Sheriff Allan Mollison, was champion of the cause of the farnier in the legislature of 1877-78; was clerk of Racine township several terms, and has been director of the First State Bank, of Racine, for a considerable period.

He is an honorable, upright man, well thought of in the community wherein he has made his home for many years. He was born in Canada, February 12, 1837, son of Stephen and Rhoda (Clement) Sanborn, who brought him to the United States in 1844, locating in Dodge county, Wisconsin, where he attended school and grew to manhood.

In 1859, during the Pike's Peak enthusiasm, he crossed the plains, making the journey partly on foot and partly on horseback, and spending the winter prospecting along the Sacramento River. The following two years he spent in a similar manner in Utah, and then mined in Montana until the fall of 1865, when he started for home.

He went down the Missouri river in a flatboat to Council Bluffs, thence by rail to Chicago, via St. Joe, and then made the trip from Chicago to Racine township, Mower county, where, during his absence, his parents had located. He purchased land and engaged in farming, tilling the soil and prospering withal, until he owned 240 acres, the village of Racine standing on what was originally a part of his farm.

In 1890, when the railroad passed through and the village was started, he built a stone building and for eight years engaged in the general merchandise business. Then he engaged in grain dealing, which he successfully followed until 1910, since which time he has lived in retirement, enjoying a well-earned rest.

Mr. Sanborn still owns about 200 acres of good land, besides his home and the grain warehouse, the farm being conducted by his son Elias.

The subject of this sketch is an independent voter, a member of the I.O.O.F. and a high degree Mason. He was married, November 18, 1869, to Theressa R. Stewart, who was born in Trenton, Wis., October 28, 1852, daughter of Deacon Jonathan and Laura (Martin) Stewart. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Sanborn has been blessed with four children, two living and two dead, Elias D., Pirna L., Lola and Sybil. Elias D., who conducts the home farm, married Nettie Schroeder and they have two sons, Royee E. and Stanley S. Pirna L. married R. W. Chadwick, cashier of the First State Bank of Racine, and they have one son. Vern R. Lola and Sybil died of diphtheria in the fall of 1880.




Stephen Sanborn

Stephen Sanborn was born in Canada and married Rhoda Clement, of Vermont, both being descended from noble New England stock.

They lived in Canada for a time and in 1843 came to the United States, locating in Dodge county, Wisconsin, where they engaged in farming until 1861, when they came to Mower county and settled in Racine township, where they purchased land in section 26 and lived until their death, the father passing away July 22, 1870, and the mother October 12, 1896.

They were the parents of four) children. A. W., Stephen J. and D. C. live in Racine, and Elias died in the United States service.




Webization by Kermit Kittleson
©2008 MnGenWeb