Mower County, Minnesota

Group File 11


James Magee

b: 1839

James Magee, a well-to-do farmer of Lyle township, was born in the north of Ireland, August 1, 1839. After attending school he remained in Ireland until 1860, when he came to America and located in Wisconsin, engaging in farming ten years, after which he came to Mower county and located in Lyle township, where he purchased 160 acres of wild land in section 7, range 18, township 101. This land he broke and improved, and erected some fine buildings, his farm now being in a fine stage of cultivation.

In 1903 he erected a fine barn, 60x56. Mr. Magee breeds Shorthorn cattle, and is now breeding in the Berkshire white hogs, following general farming.

He is a Republican in politics and a member of the Presbyterian Church. He has always refused to serve in public office, although often urged to accept. He now owns 240 acres of land.

Mr. Magee was married July 1, 1871, to Cassie Guy, and to this union have been born five sturdy sons: John; George, of Washington; Isaac and Joseph, who are on the home farm; Guy, who is clerking in a drug store at Lyle.




Edgar J. Markham

b: 1857

Edgar J. Markham, president of the village council of Waltham, was born in Beaver Dam, Wis., December 1, 1857, son of Walter and Lucelia (Buck) Markham, the former of whom was born in Onondaga, N. Y.; came west about 1840, and lived near Chicago a time before settling in Beaver Dam, Wis.; raised his family in Wisconsin, returned to New York for four years, and then took up his residence in Waltham, this county, where he died in 1885.

Edgar worked on the home farm until 1885, when lie went into business for himself selling farm machinery, in which vocation he continued some three or four years, afterward selling harvester machinery on the road for a similar period. Still later lie bought grain for a line of elevators, and subsequently purchased and rebuilt the elevator at Waltham village, which he now conducts.

He is a member of the Masonic order and also affiliates with the Modern Woodmen. Before becoming mayor of Waltham, he was chairman of the township and also a justice of the peace.

The subject of this sketch married Harriet Soules, daughter of Martin W. Soules, and this union has been blessed with three children: William F., Clarence E. and Carrie E.




Philip Martin

b: 1834

Philip Martin, retired farmer of Waltham, came to Mower county in 1882. He was born in Prussia, Germany, December 26, 1834, son of Frank and Mary (Fuchs) Martin, who came to America in 1848 or 49 and located in Jackson, Washington county, Wisconsin, where they farmed until 1864, when they came to Olmsted county and resided there for the next 18 years, and continued to farm. The father died in 1874 and the mother one year later.

Philip received his earlier education in Prussia, Germany, and in 1849 he came to America with his parents, locating with them in Wisconsin, and moving with them to Minnesota. In 1864 he purchased a small farm in Olmsted county, and there remained until 1882, when he came to Mower county and located on 240 acres which he purchased in section 16, Sargeant township and became a prominent citizen. This farm he improved and increased until he owned 480 acres of rich, well-cultivated land.

In 1901 he retired, purchased lots in Waltham village, erected a comfortable home and has since resided here, enjoying a well deserved rest after a life filled with busy toil.

He was married February 14, 1856, to Christina Fuchs, and to this union seven children have been born: Margaret is now Mrs. Thomas Graham, of Rochester, Minn.; Carolina is now Mrs. Henry Grimm, of Sargeant; Louisa is now Mrs. Joseph Graham, of Rochester, Minn.; Mary lives at home; Emma is now Mrs. George Boliou, of Waltham village; Frank and Jacob live in Sargeant township. Mr. Martin is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Lutheran church.

In 1900 he moved to the village of Waltham, and his son Jacob is now in charge of the home farm.




Jacob Martin

b: 1872

Jacob Martin, a well-liked farmer of Sargeant, was born in Cascade township, Olmsted county, this state, May 13, 1872, son of Philip and Christina (Fuchs) Martin. When ten years of age, he was brought to Mower county by his parents, and was reared on the farm in section 16, Sargeant township, completing his common school education in district 113.

He now resides on the home farm of 240 acres, all under cultivation. Mr. Martin has taken a prominent part in the affairs of his township, has been in town office since twenty-two years of age, was many years supervisor, and is now school clerk and constable. He is a director in the farmers' telephone and is a member of the Diamond cornet band of Sargeant.

The subject of this sketch was married on October 24, 1900, to Emma Peterson, daughter of Nels and Betsey Peterson, and they had two daughters: Beulah, born April 17, 1907, and Bessie, born November 10, 1904, and died April 9, 1905.




D. L. Mills

b: 1879

D. L. Mills, of Sargeant township, is one of the many modern farmers who have followed the "back to the soil" movement. After attaining success as a civil engineer and as a banker, he has now determined to become a scientific farmer, and has started by acquiring 280 acres of good land, on which he has erected a good home and commodious outbuildings. He already has a fine lot of dual-purpose cattle, sheep and Poland-China hogs, and it is his intention to engage successfully in stock breeding for the market.

Mr. Mills was born in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, March 6, 1879, son of John and Rose (Vorhees) Mills. The father, John, came from Ulster, Bradford county, Pa., and the mother, Rose, from Tioga county, Pennsylvania. In the spring of 1888, John Mills came to Minneapolis and engaged in the real estate business. He is now in Tacoma, Wash., in the same business.




Joseph R. Mason

b: 1827

Joseph R. Mason was born in Westminster, Windham county, Vermont, August 15, 1827. In 1845 he came with his parents to Dane county, Wisconsin, and there his father purchased and improved government land on which he remained until the time of his death.

In 1852 he married Lucinda Freeman, a native of the town of Plymouth, Chenango county, New York. In 1856 they started westward to seek a new home, and for several years lived in Mitchell county, Iowa. Their residence in Mower county dates from 1865, when they came to LeRoy township and purchased 240 acres of land in section 8. This land they broke and improved, and here they carried on general farming until death, Joseph R. dying June 6, 1894, and his wife December 31, 1893.

They had three children, Florence and Clarence, twins, and Arthur. They also brought up two children not adopted, Ida May and Ella.




J. M. Mason

J. M. Mason was born in Vermont, and located in Wisconsin when twenty years of age. He married Margaret Blackburn, who was born in England, and came to America at ten years of age. In 1863 they came to Mower county and purchased land in LeRoy township, where they lived until 1876, when they moved to LeRoy village.

J. M. Mason died March 5, 1887, and his widow now makes her home in LeRoy township with her son, Lucian J.

There were four children in the Mason family: Lucian J., a farmer of LeRoy township; Samuel M., of Morgan Hill, Cal.; Elizabeth M., who died in California in December, 1905, and Helen E., now Mrs. W. H. Spencer, of LeRoy.




Michael Matter

b: 1798

Michael Matter will long be honored in Waltham township for the part he had in the upbuilding of the St. Michael German Lutheran church. The first services of this congregation were held in his home, and at the organization of the church in 1873 he gave sixty acres of land for the church, school, cemetery, etc.

Michael Matter was born October 19, 1798, in Luchentin, Germany, came to America in 1841, located in Wisconsin, and there lived until 1869, when he brought his wife, whose maiden name was Friderike Zulke, to Mower county, where he purchased eighty acres in section 20, Waltham township, from his son, Michael F., who came the same year.

He died January 19, 1880, in Milwaukee, Wis., and his corpse was brought to Waltham, Minn., for burial at the side of his wife, who died October 18, 1872.




Michael F. Matter

b: 1848

Michael F. Matter is a prominent citizen of Waltham township, where he has lived since 1869. He was born in Germantown, Washington county, Wis., April 21, 1848, son of Michael and Fredericka (Zulke) Matter. He came to Mower county in 1869, purchased 160 acres in section 20, Waltham township, and two years later sold a half to his father. He improved and cultivated his half, erected buildings, and carried on general farming for many years. Mr. Matter is one of the oldest settlers of Waltham township.

He is also the oldest member of St. Michael's church, and one of the readers in the church when the pastor is absent. He has been supervisor of the town and school treasurer and a trustee of St. Michael's church at its organization and several terms thereafter.

Mr. Matter was married at the first meeting of the German Lutherans in Waltham township. This service was held at the home of his father by the Rev. Mr. Wier, from Lake Elmo, Washington county.

His wife, whose maiden name was Therese Frohreich, daughter of Michael and Friderike (Matter) Frohreich, has borne him nine children, of which still live: Wilhelmine, Augusta, Matilda, Herman, Ferdinand and Ida. Wilhelmina married Henry Baumgartner and they have six children. Augusta married John Boeris and they have six children. Matilda married Henry Yunkans and they have seven children. Herman married Anna, daughter of Rev. F. C. Milius and they have one child, Beata. Ferdinand, Augusta and Matilda live in Wisconsin. Ida married William Suhrke and lives near Waltham, Minn.




Joseph M. Maxfield

b: 1844

Joseph M. Maxfield, retired grain buyer and farmer, now living in LeRoy village, was born in Wayne county, New York, February 24, 1844, son of Joseph and Artimisia (Munson) Maxfield. He came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1855, and to LeRoy in 1862. After completing his education, he farmed eleven years, and then became a grain buyer and sold goods for Frank Avery.

Then he engaged in the livery business with his brothers until 1904, when he retired. Mr. Maxfield owns his home in Le- Roy village, a quarter section in Howard county, Iowa, and sixty-two acres in Mower county.

He has been justice of the peace many years and constable for five years. He is a Republican, a Knight Templar, and a Presbyterian.




Joseph Maxfield

b: 1815

Joseph Maxfield was born in Syracuse, N. Y., July 28, 1815, and was married September 27, 1840, at Wayne county, New York, to Artimisia Munson, born at Tulley, N. Y., May 12, 1820. In 1855 they located in Wisconsin, and in 1862 came to LeRoy township, where they purchased a farm of 150 acres, which they broke and improved, adding other land until they owned 230 acres.

In 1871 they retired and moved to LeRoy village, Joseph dying May 12, 1884, and his wife October 27, 1904. They were members of the Presbyterian church of LeRoy. Mr. and Mrs. Maxfield were the parents of six children. Glover lives in Mason City, Iowa; J. M. lives in LeRoy; Alice died in September, 1903, at Corvalis, Oregon; Sarah is now Mrs. M. H. Miller, of Taopi, Minnesota; Martha A. keeps house for her brother, J. M., at LeRoy; Richard is a liveryman at LeRoy.




Richard P. Maxfield

b: 1853

Richard P. Maxfield, liveryman of LeRoy for thirty years, was born in Wayne county, New York, in November, 1853, and came to Washington county, Wisconsin, with his parents at the age of six months. The family located in section 36, LeRoy township, in 1862, and here, Richard P., who was the youngest of six, was reared to young manhood, remaining on the home farm until twenty years of age. Then he went to South Dakota and took up land, but a year and a half later returned and engaged in his present business.

Mr. Maxfield married Manie A., daughter of John R. and Catherine Blacmer, and they are the parents of three children: Miles W., David C., and Catherine.

It is worthy of note that the great-great-grandfather of Richard P. Maxfield came from Scotland in the latter part of the eighteenth century.




W. J. McEldoon

b: 1856

W. J. McEldoon, who has lived in Udolpho township for over thirty-five years, was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, May 4, 1856, son of Nicholas and Isabel (Orr) McEldoon, the former of whom was in early life a sailor and in later life owned a farm on which the state capitol at Madison now stands.

W. J. came to Mason City, Iowa, in 1869, and worked on the railroad for several years. He dates his residence in Udolpho from 1874. Mr. McEldoon married Ella Manchester, daughter of Carlos and Lydia (Gleason) Manchester, the former of whom was a native of New York. The McEldoon home has been gladdened by the arrival of six children: John C., Robert E., Earle L., Lloyd R., Eugene C. and May H.




Harry G. McKee

b: 1858

Harry G. McKee, retired blacksmith of LeRoy village, was born in the old village of LeRoy, May 26, 1858, son of Elijah McKee, the pioneer blacksmith of Mower county. Harry G. was reared in the village of LeRoy, entered his father's shop and learned the blacksmith business in all its details, conducting the establishment alone after his father's death.

In 1909 he retired, and is now living in his pleasant home in the village of LeRoy. Mr. McKee is a Republican in politics, and has served on the village council. He is also a member of the M. W. A.

Mr. McKee was married December 25, 1880, to Edith Bowen, daughter of William and Mary (Ross) Bowen, the former of whom was killed in the Civil War and the latter of whom died in 1897. Mrs. McKee died December 9, 1897, leaving three children. Bessie E. is a teacher in Seattle, having graduated from the LeRoy high school. Raymond L. Brown is the husband of the second daughter, Eula L. Floy, the youngest daughter, is studying domestic science in the Minnesota Agricultural College at St. Paul.

It is worthy of note that Mr. McKee’s property was swept away by the cyclone of September 21, 1894.




Elijah F. McKee

Elijah F. McKee, the pioneer blacksmith of Mower county, was born in Pennsylvania, and reached Mower county February 22, 1855, being married in the old town of LeRoy, July 2, 1857, to Mary E. Taylor, who arrived in the county in 1856. February 26, 1855, he opened the first blacksmith shop in the county, in section 36, in what is now LeRoy township. April 13 the same year he moved to the old town of LeRoy and built a blacksmith shop, continuing the business of smithy for the remainder of his life.

He died September 29, 1897, and his wife is still living at the age of seventy-four years. In the family were six children: Harry G., Winfield, dead; Clark, Carrington, N. D.; Frank, Seattle; Margaret, Montana, and Lillie, now Mrs. George Magee, of Seattle.




Nels T. Miland

b: 1857

Nels T. Miland is one of the leading citizens of Bennington township, and has taken a most active part in his school district, his township and his church. He was born in Tin Telmarken, Norway, September 11, 1857, son of Thom N. and Aagaat Olson Miland, also natives of Tin Telmarken, Norway. The family came to America in 1869, when Nels T. was but twelve years of age, locating in Fillmore county, near Harmony, where Thom died the following year. His wife then brought the family to Bloomfield township in the same county, and there they endured all the hardships incident to pioneer days.

Nels T. Miland came to Bennington township in 1879 and engaged in farming. In 1888, with his brother Tom, he purchased 160 acres of land in section 23, and there farmed on his half of the tract for five years. Then he sold this tract and purchased 160 acres in section 10, Bennington township, where he is now located. He erected new barns and all outbuildings and has followed general farming, breeding Hereford cattle and Poland China hogs. He has also been greatly interested in Percheron horses, being at one time a stockholder and director in The Bennington-Bever Percheron Horse Company.

Mr. Miland is an independent voter, has served as supervisor of the township and as justice of the peace, as well as being assessor for twelve years until 1911. He is now clerk of district 95, and has been secretary of the Bennington United Lutheran church since its organization. The village of Ostrander counts him as a stockholder in its Co-operative creamery and elevator, and in the latter institution he is also a director.

The subject of this sketch was married March 9, 1885 to Clara Erickson, a native of Norway, who has proven a most able helpmeet through life. Their home has been brightened by the arrival of eight children: Dora, Amanda, Oscar, Edward, Gunvick, Theodore, Sigurd and Glenn. Dora is the wife of Martin Hettletved, of Zumbrota, Goodhue county, and the rest are at home.




J. A. Mitchell

b: 1857

J. A. Mitchell, merchant of Taopi, is one of the most enthusiastic workers in the upbuilding of the village, and has shown his faith in the future of the place by his business and real estate investments.

He was born in Marion, Marion county, Ohio, December 11, 1857, son of John and Mary A. (Hammond) Mitchell, going with them at the age of one year, in 1858, to Clinton, Ill., where he received his education and grew to manhood, after which he took up farming in DeWitt county, Illinois. There he followed agricultural pursuits until 1900, when he moved to Eagle Grove, Iowa, where he followed farming for five years, after which he came to Taopi, and continued farming. In 1907 he erected a modern store block in the village of Taopi, which he rented for two years. Then he bought the stock and goods, and became proprietor of the store which he now successfully conducts, carrying a large stock of the goods usually found in a general store of this kind.

While in Illinois, Mr. Mitchell served as assessor of his town, and also held several minor offices. -He is a member of the Christian church, of which he has served as clerk and elder for many years, and of which he has served as Sunday school superintendent constantly for fifteen years. He is a Democrat in politics, and affiliates with the M. W. A. Mr. Mitchell was married October 26, 1880, to Mary B. Butterworth, and seven children have blessed this union: Ezra, Irvin, Charles, Bessie, John, William Ray and Ina.




Ralph S. Mitchell

b: 1874

Ralph S. Mitchell, M. D., chairman of the board of health of Grand Meadow, is well known in both village and township, and enjoys a large practice. He was born in Eden Prairie, Hennepin county, Minnesota, April 28, 1874, son of Alexander and Sarah J. (Dean) Mitchell.

He was reared in his native village, there attended school, and later entered Hamline University, graduating from the medical department with the degree of M. D. in 1903. The following year he was employed as house surgeon at Asbury hospital, Minneapolis, and thus equipped with training and skill, came to Mower county the following year and opened his present office in Grand Meadow. Being thoroughly ethical in his practice, he has allied himself with the American, Minnesota State and Mower County medical associations, and he also belongs to the B. A. Y. and the M. W. A.

Dr. Mitchell was married January 25, 1905, to Mabel H. Lucas, a sister of the well-known lumber dealer and daughter of John and Margaret (Hill) Lucas, of Eden Prairie, Minn. This union has been blessed with one daughter, Barbara F., born February 23, 1906. Alexander and Sarah J. (Dean) Mitchell, parents of Dr. R. S. Mitchell, are of Scotch-Irish extraction. They were married in Shakopee, Scott county, Minnesota, and engaged in farming in Hennepin county for many years.

Alexander Mitchell died December 25, 1899, and his wife is still on the old homestead.




T. G. Morstad

b: 1849

T. G. Morstad, a prominent farmer of Nevada township, who farms on 160 acres of land in section 9, was born in Norway, December 30, 1849, son of Gilbert and Anna Morstad, of Norway, the former of whom is now living with T. G., and the latter died in July, 1909.

T. G. Morstad, the subject of this sketch, came to this country in 1869, settling in the township where he still resides. He has devoted his entire life to agricultural pursuits. Mir. Morstad is a Republican in politics, but he has never sought public honors. He and his family attend the Lutheran church. Mr. Morstad was married at Six Mile Grove, Minn., to Agnes Helgeson, daughter of Swensen and Emma Helgeson, the ceremony being performed October 29, 1881. Many children blessed this union: Anna, Ida, Gustav, Clara, Alma, Ole, Melise and Elmer. Anna is the wife of Carl Iverson, of Brazil, N. D. One died in infancy.




Lorenzo Mott

b: 1841

Lorenzo Mott, farmer of Red Rock township, was born in Vergil, Courtland county, New York, December 5, 1841, son of Henry and Sarah (Overton) Mott, both of English descent.

In 1856 the family located in Green Lake county, Wisconsin, and six years later in Olmstead county, Minnesota, where Henry Mott died in 1867. Lorenzo then continued to manage the home farm, which in the meantime he had purchased, until 1875, when he took his family and household goods and went to Oregon and California, with the intention of locating permanently in the west. That following year, however, he returned and settled on sections 20, 21 and 29, where he still resides, and where he has taken an important part in the life of the community, serving at different times in various public offices.

He married Sarah D., born in Elmira, Chenango county, New York, daughter of Timothy and Deborah (Wisner) Brockway, of English descent. The children of this union are Grant, Lyman A., Edwin, Orren, Clara A., Bertha E. and Minnie. Clara A. married William Rugg, and they have three children: Albert, Donald and Everett. Grant married Gertrude Trump and they have three children: Clara F., Eunice F. and R. Galen.

Henry and Sarah (Overton) Mott joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in early life and continued earnest workers in that denomination until their death. Mr. Mott served on the town board several years and on the school board for over a quarter of a century. He owned at one time over 800 acres in Mower county, twenty-four acres being a fine fruit orchard. His farm now consists of 280 acres. In 1893 he erected one of the largest barns in his township, its ground measurements being 100 x 34 feet. He is a breeder of Red Poll and Durham cattle and his sheep are Shropshire and Oxford. He has also given a great deal of attention to the breeding of fine draft horses of the full blooded registered Belgium breed, now owning some twenty of these animals.

In addition to his Mower county land, be owns city property on the Gulf of Mexico at Corpus Christi, Texas.




Charles W. Mott

b: 1866

Charles W. Mott, an industrious farmer of Grand Meadow township, came to this county in 1902, and settled on section 5, where he still resides. He has erected a fine home, suitable outbuildings, and a large brick granary. His farm consists of 280 acres of rich land, all under cultivation, and on this place he successfully conducts farming on a large scale.

Although a newcomer, he has taken an interest in Grand Meadow affairs and has served as clerk of his school district for six years. The subject of this sketch was born in Monroe county, New York, March 19, 1866, son of John and Elizabeth Mott, who came west in 1878, to Waverly, Iowa, where John farmed for a while. Then they went to Clarksville, in the same state, and there John took up the monument business, in which he is still engaged.

Charles W. attended the schools in Spring Lake, Iowa, and at Victor, Butler county, in the same state. His early life was spent on the farm.

He married Mary Ray, daughter of John Ray, and they have one daughter, Gladys L., aged seventeen.




Rev. Olaf Carl Myhre

b: 1870

Rev. Olaf Carl Myhre, pastor of the Little Cedar Lutheran Congregation, of Adams, and of the West Leroy Lutheran church, in LeRoy township, is an earnest worker for the cause to which he has consecrated his life, being respected by the entire community and loved by the members of his two flocks.

He was born in the parish of Vang, Valders, Norway, January 18, 1870, being baptized March 31, of the same year. He is the son of Christopher and Marie Myhre.

The subject of this sketch received his education in the public schools of Norway, came to America with his parents in 1882, and located with them in Goodhue county, Minnesota. He was confirmed in that county June 3, 1883, by the Rev. J. N. Kildahl. In the fall of 1884 he entered Luther College, at Decorah, Iowa, where he studied for three years. After this he entered St. Olaf College, at Northfield, Minn., for a similar period. Later he studied for two years at the Dr. Martin Luther College, at New Ulm, Minn. In the fall of 1892 he entered the Augsburg Seminary, and graduated in May, 1895. After receiving a call he was ordained as a pastor of the United Lutheran church, June 26, 1895, at St. Paul, at the annual meeting of the United Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.

He accepted the call and became pastor of the Windom Lutheran church, in Cottonwood county, Minnesota, serving three congregations, Windom, Heron Lake and Brewster, staying there for twelve years.

Then he received a call to Adams, where he was installed pastor of the Little Cedar Lutheran church, September 30, 1906. This charge includes the congregations mentioned at the head of this sketch. Mr. Myhre is a member of the Annuity Fund for Pastors and Professors of the United Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.

He was married at Windom, Cottonwood county, Minnesota, January 21, 1901, to Clara Marie Hanson, of that place.

This union has been gladdened with three sons: Valgard C. H., born October 3, 1903; Hilding C. M., born July 21, 1906; Paul L. S., born April 11, 1908.




Jacob Nagele

b: 1855

Jacob Nagele has a well cared for farm in Lodi township, with excellent buildings thereon, a pleasant feature of the place being the tree-lined evergreen lane which leads to his house. Jacob Nagele was born in Germany in 1855, son of David Nagele, now deceased.

Jacob came to America in 1880, landed in New York, and then located in Youngstown, Ohio, where he worked in a blast furnace for two years. Then he came to Le Roy, in this county, and after working out for three years, purchased his present place in Lodi township, on which he has erected his house, barns and other buildings. On this place he now conducts general farming, making a specialty of his Black Poll cattle, of which he owns a herd of twenty-five head. Mr. Nagele was married in 1883 to Louise Geiger, and they have five children: William, Arthur, Katherine, Louise and Gustave. William, Arthur and Louise are at home. Katherine married Albert Bhend and lives at Corinth, Wis. Gustave died at the age of sixteen years.




Nels Nelson

Nels Nelson, for many years a farmer in LeRoy township, was born in Norway, and came to the United States by way of Quebec, locating for a time in Dane county, Wisconsin. After reaching LeRoy he worked out for a time, and then purchased eighty acres in section 27, Lodi township, which he tilled and to which he added until he owned 160 acres. After purchasing this land he also bought a small house, standing two miles to the eastward, and moved this onto his land. In this house the family has since resided, making additions and improvements from time to time.

In 1909, Nels Nelson sold the farm to his sons, Julius and Martin.

The children born to Nels and Julia Nelson are: Betsy, Nils, Lena, Julia, Carrie, Julius and Martin. Betsy is the wife of Iver Hinger and lives in South Dakota. Nils farms in South Dakota. Lena is the wife of Edward Lysne, a contractor at Brainard, Minn. Julia died at the age of thirteen. Carrie is at home. Nelson brothers, Julius and Martin Nelson, sons of Nels and Julia Nelson, are prosperous farmers in Lodi township.

The two boys stayed at home and attended to the work of the farm, and have given all their efforts to developing it, and to helping their parents in their declining years. They carry on general farming successfully, have made many improvements, have replaced the old windmill with one modern in every respect and have just let the contract for a fine new home, to be built just west of the present residence. They take especial pride in their herd of thirty Shorthorns, which they raise for beef and dairy purposes.




Christ Nelson

b: 1872

Christ Nelson is a popular farmer of Grand Meadow, in which township he was born April 8, 1872, son of Martin and Maria Nelson. The father, Martin, was born in Norway, and came to America in 1868, settling in Frankford township, where he lived two years. Then he came to Grand Meadow, lived here for a while, and then moved to Pleasant Valley, where he now resides.

Christ, the subject of this sketch, attended school in Pleasant Valley township, and spent his early life on his father's farm. He now owns 160 acres in section 12, Grand Meadow township, and successfully conducts farming operations and stock raising.

He married Anna Green, daughter of Truls Green, and they have six children: Melville, Clarence, Alfred, Elmer, Inez and the baby.

The family faith is that of the Norwegian Lutheran church.




Mike Neus

b: 1876

Mike Neus, farmer of Marshall township, was born in Adams township, Mower county, January 8, 1876, son of Andrew Neus, who came to America in 1866 and took an 80-acre homestead in Mower county.

Mike Neus was educated in the Mower county public schools and at the age of twenty-four started in life for himself. He rented land near Lyle and then for three years conducted the old homestead which he inherited. In the winter of 1910 he sold his farm, and now leases the Sam Lepley farm of 120 acres, awaiting an advantageous opportunity to purchase a farm of his own.

He is a member of the Lutheran church, votes the Republican ticket and belongs to the Modern Woodmen.

In 1900 he married Jennie Show, daughter of H. J. Show, and they have six children: Burnie, Harriett, Fernie, Elmer, Ina and Vida, the three oldest being pupils in the public schools.




G. R. Nichols

b: 1866

G. R. Nichols, a general merchant of Waltham, has built up a successful trade, the fact that until recently he was a farmer making him particularly adapted to keeping a store in the rural districts.

He was born in Somerset county, Maine, March 26, 1866, son of Charles and Clara (Hill) Nichols. Charles Nichols was born in Maine, came west in 1869, and settled on a farm in Waltham, where he lived until his death in 1900.

His wife is still living, making her home with a daughter. The subject of this sketch remained on the farm until attaining manhood's estate, receiving his education in the district schools. He purchased the home farm, and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1907, when he came to the village and engaged in his present business. He has been assessor of township and village for twenty years, and has performed the duties of that office to the general satisfaction of his fellow citizens. Mr. Nichols was married some years ago to B. Martha Kezer, daughter of Alvin T. Kezer, and to this union has been born one daughter, Bessie.




Oscar W. Nichols

b: 1858

Oscar W. Nichols, a well-liked citizen of Waltham township, in which he owns a half section of rich land, all under cultivation, was born in Moscow, Somerset county, Me., June 17, 1858, son of Charles E. and Clara L. (Hill) Nichols.

The father, Charles E., came west March 8, 1869, stopped at Waukon, Iowa, a few days, and then proceeded to Rice Lake, Dodge county, Minn., where he remained four months. In September, 1869, he moved to Waltham, section 11, and there established his home. Oscar W. was reared on the farm, attended the district schools of district 58, and assisted his father in agricultural work. After his marriage he moved to his present home in section 2.

His good wife, who was Maggie Baumann, daughter of George and Emily (Warren) Baumann, has borne him five children: Pearle E., George W., Cleve E., Ruth L. and Floyd O.




George Nicolay

b: 1857

George Nicolay, one of the leading farmers of Lodi township, was born in Germany in 1857, son of John Nicolay, and came to America in 1881.

After landing in New York, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and there worked four years, after which he came to Mower county and worked for John Frank, of Le Roy, one year. Then he purchased land in sections 13 and 24, Lodi township, and started life as a farmer for himself. He has greatly improved the place, and a pleasant home built in 1898, as well as numerous buildings of various descriptions, stand on the spot where he found a small dwelling when he first came here. He carried on diversified farming and breeds Poll Angus and Poland-China hogs. Mr. Nicolay attends the Presbyterian Church, and votes the Republican ticket. March 15, 1885,

Mr. Nicolay married Minnie Kesel, of Wisconsin, a daughter of Charles Kesel, who in 1853 came to Wisconsin from Germany, where he died eight years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Nicolay have one daughter, Lania, who married Alfred Weise, manager of the Northwestern Telephone Company, at Minneapolis. They have two children: Rollie and Nova. Mrs. Nicolay has one daughter, Daisy, by a former marriage. Daisy was married March 15, 1896, to Christ Karlen, a farmer of Lodi township. Then have two children, Leo and Arno.




Henry C. Nissen

b: 1850

Henry C. Nissen, now deceased, was a farmer in Grand Meadow township for many years, and his labor and toil were crowned with the fruits of success.

He was born in a part of Schleswig, then Denmark, now Germany, July 29, 1850, son of Christian and Abalonia, both of Danish birth, who spent eight years in America, but ended their days in Schleswig.

Henry received his education in his native land, and came to America in 1867, at seventeen years of age. For eleven years he was variously employed, part of the time in Rochester, Minn.

In 1877 he came to Grand Meadow township, and purchased eighty acres of land, one mile south of the village. He added to this tract until he owned 240 acres of land, on which he lived and prospered, erecting a home and a fine set of buildings, and following general farming until 1904, when he purchased twelve acres and a residence in Grand Meadow village, and retired, making his home here until his death. Mr. Nissen was a Democrat in politics and was a member of the school board at the time of his death. He was also a stockholder in the First National Bank, of Grand Meadow.

The subject of this sketch was married March 13, 1887, to Betsy Engebretson, born in Norway, January 28, 1855, daughter of Ingebret Arneson and Anne Sanderson, his wife, both of whom died in Norway. Mrs. Nissen came to America in 1873 and located at Rockdale, Olmsted county. She bore to Henry C. Nissen seven children: William, who lives in Aberdeen, S. D., is in the automobile and machinery business; Albert E. is on the home farm; Peter is traveling; Alma is the wife of Oscar Carlstrom, an attorney of Aledo, Ill.; Anna teaches at Groton, S. D.; Mary is a student in the Grand Meadow high school, and Elmer, the youngest of the family, is still in the graded schools.

It is worthy of note that in 1902 Mrs. Nissen took a trip to her old home in Norway and spent ten weeks with her parents. Since her husband's death she has looked after the home affairs, and is a capable housekeeper and wise mother.




Webization by Kermit Kittleson
©2008 MnGenWeb