s Biographies of Mower County, Minnesota MOWER COUNTY GENEALOGY




Mower County, Minnesota

Group File 10


Thomas Kough

b: 1841

Thomas Kough, extensive stock breeder of Lodi township, was born in Shrewsbury, England, November 1, 1841, son of Thomas and Catherine (Harley) Kough, both of whom died in England. He came to America in 1861, and after a long and troublesome voyage landed in Quebec. Then he visited a brother in Owen Sound, Georgian Bay, Canada West of that time, but now Ontario, for a while, and subsequently located in Guelph, Canada, where he engaged as a farmer eight years.

In 1867 he went to New York State and a year later came to Mower county and located in Lodi township, purchasing 120 acres in section 14. This he has now increased to 440 acres, all in a high degree of cultivation. In the early years of his residence here he raised grain, but later he began breeding Shorthorn cattle and Cotswold sheep. After studying the matter carefully he decided to introduce Hereford cattle into this part of the country, and accordingly, in 1881, went to Guelph, Canada West, now Ontario, where he and Conrad Hambrecht, of LeRoy, purchased four head of pure blooded Herefords for $1,630 and brought them to Lodi.

He now ships his beef directly to Chicago, and sells pure blooded live stock as far away as western Montana. His herd consists of 125 head, several of which are prize winners, his bull and steers having taken $140 in premiums at the 1902 state fair. Mr. Kough has a comfortable residence, with all modern improvements, such as running hot and cold water, bath rooms, modern plumbing, acetylene, a heating plant and the like, his present residence being erected on the site of one which burned in 1902.

Mr. Kough has taken a prominent part in the affairs of the community from the time of his first arrival. Soon after he came here he attended a school meeting of district 67, and was elected school clerk at once. At that time the district had just been organized and the schoolhouse had been started but was not finished on the inside. This old schoolhouse was destroyed by prairie fire in 1871, when it was not yet paid for. Unfortunately, the records of this district were destroyed when the residence of Mr. Kough was burned, in 1902.

In the spring of 1874, when the town of Lodi was organized, Mr. Kough was the first town clerk, and since then he has held some important local office nearly continuously. He has refused to run for county office, though often assured heavy support. He was first married in Canada, November 16, 1865, to Alice Maud Benham, who died in 1867, leaving one child, Catherine M., who now lives in England.

September 4, 1873, Mr. Kough married Maggie Ann Wilsey, a native of Pennsylvania. This union has been blessed with four children: Nancy Maud, John Harley, Thomas William, the latter two being twins, and Sarah Calphernia, now Mrs. J. R. Culton. Nancy M. is widow of F. S. White, formerly for many years station agent at Taopi. John Harley married Lorene Fisher. Thomas William married Leona Fisher, and after her death, Bridget Murray.




John F. Krause

b: 1873

John F. Krause, who has been assessor of the town of Grand Meadow for the past eight years, is one of the prosperous men of the community. He believes in modern farming methods and his interest in education has been shown by his service as treasurer of school district 21 for twelve years.

The subject of this sketch was born in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, May 20, 1873, son of William and Amelia (Wagner) Krause, the former of whom was born in Germany and came to America when he was sixteen years of age. John F. came with his parents to Grand Meadow Township when he was five years of age, and spent his early life on his father's farm in section 35, which he has since bought of his father, and where he still makes his home and successfully carries on general farming.

He married Anna Grimm, daughter of August and Wilhelmina (Erdmann) Grimm, and they are the parents of three children: Alwin, Edna and Viola.




Mathias Krebsbach

b: 1835

Mathias Krebsbach, one of the honored pioneers, was born on April 21, 1835, spent his early manhood on the farm in Germany, and in 1855 came to America, landing at New York in July of that year, after a voyage of forty-two days. At once upon landing he set out for the west, with only $8 in his pocket, his first stop being in McHenry county, Illinois, where he remained two months, after which he went to Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, where he found employment on a farm, remaining three months.

He came to Mower county in 1857 and commenced work on his new dwelling May 4, completing it shortly afterward. He raised his first crop of wheat in the season of 1860. This wheat was hauled to McGregor and sold for barely enough to pay expenses. Mr. Krebsbach conducted the general store in the village for several years, and when his sons, John and Michael, were of age, turned the business over to them.

He was first president of the village of Adams, was on the village council in 1900 and was also the first postmaster in the vicinity. He was one of the first trustees of the Catholic Church at Adams.

Mathias Krebsbach was married in September, 1858, to Susan Bondis, a native of Germany, who came to America in 1856. They are the parents of Michael, born January 6, 1860; John, born January 29, 1861; Gertrude, born August 27, 1863; Anna, February 20, 1865; Joseph, April 20, 1869, and Mary, born September 2, 1876. Susan Krebsbach died January 20, 1911.




Michael Krebsbach

b: 1860

Michael Krebsbach, businessman of Adams, was born January 6, 1860, son of Mathias and Susan (Bondis) Krebsbach. He spent his early manhood in his father's store, was associated with his brother in the dry goods business, after the father turned the store over to them, and also had a share in managing the concern which is now the Farmers' Co-operative Creamery.

He now conducts a prosperous and lucrative business in the village and is vice president of .the First National bank, of Adams. He married Annie, daughter of N. M. and Elizabeth (Blake) Smith, and this union has been blessed with five children: Isabelle, Julleta, Leona, William and Roy. Mrs. Krebsbach died May 6, 1910.




John H. Krebsbach

b: 1861

John H. Krebsbach, grain elevator man of Adams village, was born in Adams township, February 28, 1861, son of Mathias and Susan (Bondis) Krebsbach. He lived on the farm until he was ten years of age, when he came into the village and attended school. At the age of thirteen he worked in the warehouse of Gilchrist & Co., and at the age of twenty, with his brother Michael, received charge of his father's store.

In 1881 John H. started a creamery as a side issue. This he conducted with success for sixteen years, after which it was turned over to the farmers of the township, who still conduct it on the co-operative plan. John still has an interest in the general store which his brother conducts, and the brother also has an interest in the elevator which John conducts, but of late years the subject of this sketch has taken entire charge of the elevator business, which he started in 1885.

He married Alice, daughter of Nicholas N. and Elizabeth Blake, and this union has resulted in seven children: William T., Arthur J., Paul M., Edward E., Frederick J., Raymond and Alvina.




John P. Krebsbach

b: 1869

John P. Krebsbach, a prominent real estate dealer of Adams village, was born in Johnsburg, Wis., October 5, 1869, son of Nicholas Krebsbach, a native of Germany, who came to America. in 1855 and located in Wisconsin. John P. was educated in Wisconsin, and there grew to manhood.

In 1895 he came to the village of Adams, first engaged in the furniture business four years, and has since conducted a real estate office, handling Dakota and Minnesota land, but dealing largely with Dakota people. He is a Republican in politics, has been recorder of the village of Adams, and belongs to the Foresters and the Knights of Columbus.

The subject of this sketch was married, in 1898, to Annie Krebsbach, daughter of Mathias Krebsbach, a pioneer. This union has been blessed with four children: Francis A. N., Regina, G. Alphonso, and Herbert, who died in infancy. The former three are attending school. The family faith is that of the Roman Catholic Church.




William Kuchenbecker

b: 1871

William Kuchenbecker, business man of Waltham, was born in Crawford county, Wisconsin, March 19, 1871, son of William and Louisa (Railer) Kuchenbecker, who came to America from Germany in 1850, and located in Crawford county, Wisconsin, where they farmed until 1887, in which year the father died.

A son, Alfred, then bought the old homestead, and the mother moved to Prairie du Chien, where she still lives. William, the subject of this sketch, received his education in Crawford county, Wisconsin, and there engaged in farming until 1890, when he came to Mower county and worked on a farm in Red Rock township for seven years. Then he rented a farm in Waltham township for a similar period. Then he came to Waltham village, and was clerk in a meat establishment, also operating a steam threshing machine.

In the fall of 1908 he embarked in the meat business for himself. Now does a large business, has an extensive trade, and prepares most of his own fresh meats, as well as hums, bacon, sausages and the like. In company with his brother, Louis, he is still in the threshing business and reaps a goodly profit in this line every fall. Mr. Kuchenbecker lives in Waltham village, votes independently and belongs to the Lutheran church. William Kuchenbecker is the fourth of six brothers. Alfred, Oscar and Rudolph live in Crawford county, Wisconsin; Louis lives in Waltham; Hiram lives in Prairie du Chien.




George Kuhn

b: 1854

George Kuhn, a representative citizen of Grand Meadow township, was born in Germany, October 25, 1854, son of George and Margaret Kuhn. He came to America in 1873, at nineteen years of age, and reached New York, March 1. After landing he went at once to Milwaukee, and there lived five years, working at his trade as harness maker. In 1878 he came to Grand Meadow and located in section 36, where he carried on general farming for some years. He now owns a farm of 120 acres in section 35, where he lives, and also a fine place of 240 acres in Clayton township.

Mr. Kuhn married for his first wife, Augusta Spilcett Spencer, and five children were born. Of these three are living: Charles, George W., and William. The present Mrs. Kuhn was Amelia Quast.




Gideon O. Lake

b: 1829

Gideon O. Lake, farmer, High Forest, was born in Albany County, New York, in 1829. When nineteen years of age he went to Wayne County, Pennsylvania, and was there engaged in lumbering and various occupations for six years, at the end of that time he went to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and was there until 1856.

In 1857 he came to Mower county, Minnesota, locating in the town of Racine, and to High Forest township in 1865, locating on section 3.

He enlisted in August, 1864, in Co. H, 11th Minnesota Inf., serving until the war closed. He was married October 21, 1853, to Jane M. Hammond, a native of Tioga county, Pennsylvania. Sarah E., Jennie M., Rose B. and Louis L. are their childrens' names.




Joseph Keenan

b: 1848

Joseph Keenan, a well-known real estate dealer of Austin, was born in Mount Pleasant, Pa., March 11, 1848, son of James and Elizabeth (Farnell) Keenan. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood in Mount Pleasant, and came west with his parents in 1867, settling with them on a farm in Oakland, Freeborn county, this state, where the father lived until his death.

Joseph and his brother James engaged in the carriage business in Austin, manufacturing wagons, carriages, etc., for six years, after which they abandoned the manufacturing end of the business and began shipping in the vehicles which they sold, this being cheaper than manufacturing them.

The business continued until 1906, since which date Joseph Keenan has been engaged in the land and real estate business. He is a member of the B.P.0.E., the M.W.A., the A.O.U.W., the Maccabees, the K. of C., and the Austin Commercial Club.

He is at present, and for eleven years past, a member of the board of education, and was for four years a county commissioner.

He was married for the first time, to Addie A. Revord, and to this union were born four children: Regina, Angela, Claud C. and Genevieve. Regina is now Mrs. Frank J. Bendsberger, and Angela is now Mrs. William Hauf. Genevieve is now Mrs. Edward L. Simmons. Mrs. Addie Revord Keenan died July 15, 1894, and Mr. Keenan married for his second wife Lizzie L. Downey, of Portage, Wis., daughter of Miles Downey. To this union have been born two children: Raymond M. and Addie.




James Keenan

James Keenan was born in Mount Pleasant, Wayne county, Pennsylvania, son of James and Elizabeth (Farwell) Keenan, who brought their family to Oakland, Freeborn county, this state, in 1867. James, Jr., received a good common school education, and after coming west he and his brother, Joseph, engaged in the manufacture of carriages and wagons.

After six years of this business, however, the brothers discovered that they could buy the vehicles cheaper than they could make them, so they abandoned the manufacturing end of the business, and devoted themselves to selling what they shipped in.

In 1906 this business was discontinued, and since then Mr. Keenan has looked after his numerous financial interests and his real estate business. Mr. Keenan is an extensive traveler, and has visited many lands.

For his first wife Mr. Keenan married Bella Hall, a native of Massachusetts. After her death he married Katherine E. Dunavone, and who has proved a most able helpmeet.

James Keenan, Sr., was a noted shipbuilder on the Atlantic coast, in the early part of the nineteenth century. His ability and skill were widely acknowledged, and his name was known wherever ships were constructed. He worked in Boston and New York for many years, and after the war of 1812 assisted in rebuilding the American navy, working on such vessels as the Hornet, which in those days were considered as monarchs of the seas.

For seven years Mr. Keenan, Sr., was with the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company, superintending site construction of all the boats built by this company at Honesdale, Pa. In 1867 the family came west and settled on a farm in Oakland, Freeborn county, Minn., where James, Sr., farmed until his death, in 1879. He married Elizabeth Farwell, who bore him five children: Mary, now Mrs. Reily; John, living in Winona; James, Joseph and Michael J., living in Austin. Hiram F. Kezar, merchant of Sargeant village, was born in Beaver Dam, Wis., August 12, 1870, son of Alvin Kezar, marshal of Waltham village, and Ellen Markham, his wife, the father, Alvin, and the grandfather, Hiram, both having been born in the same house in Macenia, St. Lawrence county, New York. Hiram F. spent his boyhood on a farm in Waltham township, there grew to manhood, took up agricultural pursuits and was thus engaged until 1907, when he came to Sargeant village and opened a store. Mr. Kezar is a Mason. He was married a few years ago to Rebecca Johnson, daughter of George Johnson, and they have one child, Lyle T.




Ira Padden Sanderson

b: 1920

Ira Padden Sanderson was born on November 27, 1920, in Austin, Minnesota, the son of Frank Williams and Elsie (Padden) Sanderson. He was married on April 24, 1943 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Shirley Anderberg, who was born September 8, 1920 in Sisseton, North Dakota. She was the daughter of Roy A. Webster and Ethel Anna (Swanberg) Anderberg. They later divorced. He was then married on May 27, 1950, in Clearwater, Florida, to Beverly LaVerne Warner, who was born December 26, 1925, the daughter of Cinton David and Henrietta Estelle (Williams) Warner. Clinton was born on March 30, 1888 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and died on April 3, 1965. Henrietta was born on February 18, 1898 in Soudan, Minnesota.

Ira's children included Shirley Ann, born March 10, 1944, Gail Louise, born October 5, 1947, and Carol Jo Ellen, born August 5, 1949 -- all by his first wife, Shirley. Ira had adopted a son of Beverly by a former marriage: Dennis Darrell, born February 10, 1944.

Ira's military service was in the Navy during World War II as an athletic specialist directing physical fitness programs. During this time he competed as an amateur weight lifter, winning fourth in the United States in the heavy weight division. He received his B.A. degree in Physical Education from the University of Minnesota after which he joined the staff of the Minneapolis YMCA. He has always enjoyed gymnastic and spent two years demonstrating trampolines before joining the "Holiday on Ice Show" for two seasons as a trampline artist. In 1954 he became a physical education teacher and gymnastics coach at Georgis Military Academy in Atlanta, Georgia. This school is now known as Woodward Academy. Ira is now the Director of Athletics at this school.

SOURCE: "The Garden Spot of the World -- Sanderson Family History" compiled by Edith Hurlbutt Sanderson, 1971.



Edith Mary Sanderson

b: 1923

Edith Mary Sanderson, was born on March 31, 1923 in Austin, Minnesota, the daughter of Frank Williams and Elsie (Padden) Sanderson. Edith is not married.

Edith Mary received her B.S. degree from the University of Minnesota in 1945. He early career years were spent as a hospital dietician until 1960 when her interest in young people drew her to the school lunch program as a manager in the Minneapolis Public Schools. In 1967 she became nutritionist with the Minnesota State Department of Education, where she acts as a consulting dietician of school lunch programs throughout the state of Minnesota. She has enjoyed the friendship of many young people through 13 years as a Girl Scout leader in the inner city of Minneapolis and 25 years as a water safety instructor for the American Red Cross. She is a member of Andromeda, Chapel of the Open Door in Long Lake, Minnesota.

SOURCE: "The Garden Spot of the World -- Sanderson Family History" compiled by Edith Hurlbutt Sanderson, 1971.



A. G. Kellogg

b: 1847

A. G. Kellogg, for many years a Dexter township farmer, now the owner of a storage and warehouse business at Austin, was born in Vermillion county, Indiana, September 19, 1847, son of Orrison and Theodoshea (Cooper) Kellogg, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of Indiana.

In 1852 the family removed from Indiana to Dodge county, Wisconsin, and there Orrison followed farming until his death in 1866, his wife surviving him many years and dying in Denver, Colo., in 1886. A. G. received his education in the public schools of Columbus, Wis., and farmed in Wisconsin until 1872.

After four years spent in Chicago he came to Mower county in 1876, and located on eighty acres in Dexter county, where he farmed until 1896, when he rented his farm and moved to Austin, purchasing twenty acres of land on South Kenwood avenue. Ten of these acres he sold. On the remaining ten he built a comfortable home and there resided until April, 1909, when he moved to his present home at 314 East Water Street.

In 1909 he open ed a warehouse business in the block owned by him at 405 East Bridge Street. Mr. Kellogg is a veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted in the Union army in November, 1864, serving in Company A, Seventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and receiving his discharge at Madison, Wis., July 5, 1865. He was in the battles of Richmond and Five Forks, and in a number of skirmishes, being wounded in the left breast and arm, thus necessitating his confinement in the Camp Bell hospital at Washington and the National hospital at Madison, Wis.

The subject of this sketch was married in September, 1871, to Martha E. Nashold, of Columbus, Wis., who died April 30, 1910. They were blessed with two children: Josie Bell, who is now Mrs. Martin Lee, of Austin, and a second child, who died in infancy. Mr. Kellogg has three brothers and one sister living: Dr. A. C. Kellogg, of Portage, Wis.; O. P., of Chicago, Ill.; S. G., of Denver, Colo., and Mrs. Hersa J. White, of Denver, Colo.




Francis W. Kimball

b: 1844

Francis W. Kimball, civil engineer and railroad contractor of Austin, has taken an active interest in the development of the farms of Mower county, and has prominently served in many movements directed toward this end. He was born in Reading, Mass., February 11, 1844, was taken by his parents to Middleton, Mass., where he attended school and grew to manhood, afterward becoming a civil engineer. In this capacity he did construction work on the old Boston & Hartford railroad, which, after becoming the Central New England, is now controlled by the N. Y., N. H. & H.

In 1866 Mr. Kimball came westward to see the country, and having faith in this part of the United States, he prepared to locate here permanently. From 1868 to 1873 he was engaged in railroad engineering work in Iowa, Minnesota, and South Dakota, at the same time operating his farm in Waltham.

He went to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1883, and again engaged in railroading. He dates his permanent residence in Austin from 1889, his occupation still being railroad constructing. He is also president of the Austin Dairy Company.

Mr. Kimball was married first to Annie Bodwell, of Salem, N. H., who died in 1890, leaving four children: Grace, Dollie, Parker and Paul. The present Mrs. Kimball was Etta Bodwell, of Haverhill, Mass., daughter of Stephen and Sophia Bodwell, well-known residents of that place.




A. N. Kinsman

b: 1854

A. N. Kinsman, the able and successful horticulturist and floriculturist of Austin, has achieved his progress in life by his thrift and energy, and now has one of the finest greenhouse plants in the west, his covers of glass amounting to more than 50,000 feet. Thus equipped he is engaged in raising many varieties of flowers, making a specialty of roses, of which he has good reason to be proud.

Mr. Kinsman was born in Auburn township, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, November 19, 1854, son of C. C. and Laura (Lyon) Kinsman. He was brought to Austin by his parents in 1873, and after arriving here worked three years as clerk in his father's law office. Then he learned the carpenter trade in Cumberland, Barron county, Wisconsin.

After his father's death he again took charge of the law office a year, and then returned to Austin, where he worked at his trade for a time before engaging in his present business. Mr. Kinsman married Mattie Foster, of Lucas, Wis., and has three children: Calvin D., Linnie and Bessie.




C. C. Kinsman

C. C. Kinsman, one of the early lawyers of Austin, was born in Vermont, and there married Laura Lyon. They lived for a time in Wisconsin, and from 1873 to 1880 were located in Austin. Then they moved to Cumberland, Barron county, Wisconsin, and lived there until 1885, going from there to Ashland, Wis., remaining one year.

In October, 1886, C. C. Kinsman died. They had five children: A. N., Ida, Herbert, Jessie and Mamie.




Leander Kirkland

b: 1843

Leander Kirkland, a retired farmer now living in Austin, has the honor of having been town treasurer and chairman of the board of supervisors of the township of Red Rock at intervals for twenty-three years. He was born October 5, 1843, in Chautauqua county, New York, son of James and Phoebe (Dawley) Kirkland, both natives of New York state.

Leander spent his early life in New York State, and in 1864 the family moved to Winneshiek county, Iowa, settling near Decorah, where his parents died, James in 1872 and Phoebe in 1868.

In 1864, immediately after his marriage, the subject of this sketch took up farming in Decorah, Iowa, and there remained until 1870, when he brought his family to Red Rock township, Mower county, and settled in section 34, where he farmed until 1906, when he practically retired and moved to Austin.

He is a Republican in politics, a member of the blue lodge and the chapter in the Masonic order and also of the A. O. U. W. He was married in New York State, September 22, 1864, to Patience Rugg, and to this union has been born one daughter, Alice P., the wife of Edwin T. Bemis, whose father, Oliver Bemis, was one of the early settlers of Austin. Mr. Kirkland is highly respected by his friends, and for many years has been one of the substantial residents of the county, his advice on important matters being often sought by the younger generations.




Ole Klemestad

b: 1842

Ole Klemestad, now deceased, was for many years the sturdy blacksmith of Udolpho township. He was born in Ringerike, Norway, July 8, 1842, came to America in 1875, and a year later married Helen Hanson, of Gjovik, Norway, who came to America in 1875, and who throughout her husband's life proved a good wife and sympathetic and hard working helpmeet. Her mother is still living in the village of Corning at the good old age of eighty-seven years.

Mr. Klemestad farmed until his death, but also had a blacksmith shop on his place and did smithy work for the farmers from miles around. He was a good and upright citizen, an affectionate husband and a kind father, his death in 1903 being sincerely mourned. He was a faithful member of the Lutheran church, which his family still attends.

Mr. and Mrs. Klemestad had seven children, of whom five are living. Anna, the oldest, was married to Gullick Tollefson in 1897. They reside on a farm in Freeborn county, near Corning. Seven children have been born to them. The oldest girl, Hilda T., died on February 14, 1908, of measles. The other children are: George A., Alice O., Oliver L., Earnest N., Hilda T., and Anna G. Andrew, the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Klemestad, is at present working his mother's farm. He has been in the Dakotas a good deal of the time. Lena J. is a schoolmadam, teaching both English and Norwegian. She is also greatly interested in poultry. Hilmar O. is a "home boy," having worked his mother's farm for several years. Last year he went to Austin and worked at the baker's trade, employed by the Home Bakery. Olga N., the baby in age but not in appearance, is especially interested in farming and horses. She is an excellent horseback rider. Nordahl (deceased) was a bright, honest and well-liked boy. He worked in the neighborhood of his home the greater part of the time.

In April, 1907, Nordahl went to Minneapolis to work, going into partnership with his cousin, Monrad Lund, of that place. They worked at the well drilling business. Everything went well until they commenced working in an elevator shaft in Oneida block on First Avenue. While working there they had to work Sundays and nights, while the elevator was not in use.

On Sunday afternoon, September 9, 1907, while working in the shaft, the drill struck a stone and young Lund went down to see what was the matter. Nordahl called down to him, and receiving no reply, he also went down to see what he could do. As soon as the boys were missed everything that human power could do was done to save them, but by the time that their bodies were taken out of the well they were entirely overcome by foul gas. This was indeed a sad bereavement to both families. Nordahl and Monard were first cousins, Mrs. Klemestad and Mrs. Lund being sisters. Nordahl was born July 17, 1881. His sad departure is mourned by all who knew him.




John J. Kornberg

b: 1842

John J. Kornberg, now retired, for many years a substantial blacksmith of Mower county, was born in Denmark, September 24, 1842, son of John and Mary (Kornberg), also natives of Denmark. The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood and early manhood in Denmark and was engaged at his trade as a blacksmith nine years before coming to America in 1867. Upon his arrival in this country he went to Chicago and stayed there two months, later making brief visits to Bloomington, Ill., and St. Louis, Mo.

At Washington, Mo., he worked eight months, reaching Austin in April, 1868. Here he was first employed by Johnson & Hunt, and then by Johnson & Smith, being in the latter's employ ten years. Then for three years he was in partnership with Thomas Dugan, and subsequently he conducted a shop for Abram Dickinson, on Bridge street, seventeen years. His last venture was on Mill Street, where he maintained a shop of his own for twelve years.

In 1910 he disposed of this shop and retired. Mr. Kornberg is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and of the Danish Brotherhood. He married Inge Marie, deceased, and the outcome of this union was six children, two of whom are living: James, who resides in Austin, and Emma, who keeps house for her father. Frederick, Annie, Freddie and Edward are dead.




Theodore H. Kramer

b: 1889

Theodore H. Kramer, assistant cashier of the First State Bank, of Dexter, was born in Cresco, Howard county, Iowa, May 7, 1889, son of Jacob and Bertha (Kedolph) Kramer. He was brought by his parents to Dexter in 1898, and attended the Dexter high school. In June, 1907, he graduated from the Southern Minnesota Normal College, at Austin, and thereafter for a short period helped his father on the farm. Then he accepted his present position.

Mr. Kramer lives at home with his parents. Being of a sociable nature, he has allied himself with the M.W.A. He is just at the threshold of a successful career and his friends predict for him a brilliant future.




Abijah B. M. Lindsley

b: 1823

Abijah B. M. Lindsley, a venerable resident of the Grand Meadow village, is a pleasant example of kindly old age, ripe in years and wisdom, and possessing that benevolence of spirit and that kindliness of judgment that comes only from a long life well spent.

He and his good wife live in a large and comfort able home which he built twenty-nine years ago, and here they are spending the evening of life together. Mr. Lindsley and his wife still enjoy the good things of life, and take an interest in the affairs of the present day. Mr. Lindsley was born in Nelson, Madison county, New York, March 31, 1823, son of David and Jerusha (Merrill) Lindsley, and came west to Ripon, Wis., in 1857.

There he lived twenty-four years. In 1881 he came to Grand Meadow, where he and his family have since resided. He married Lucia M. Cutler, daughter of Frasier and Lovisa (Hazelton) Cutler, the former of whom was a native of Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Lindsley are the parents of three children: Lester C. is living, Jennie M. died in 1874 and one died in infancy. Lester C. married Hattie Cary, daughter of Riley P. and Maria (rover) Cary. Mr. and Mrs. Lester Lindsley have one son, Earl L., who married Nellie Jennings, one of the eight children of John Jennings. Riley Cary was born in Nelson, Madison county, New York, and in 1846 came to Milwaukee. His wife, Marie Grover, was born in Springwater, Livingston county, New York, and in 1847 located in Wauwatosa, Milwaukee county. They were married in 1848.




Henry J. Lockwood

b: 1837

Henry J. Lockwood, one of the territorial pioneers of Minnesota, was born in Otsego county, New York, August 2, 1837, came to Fillmore county in 1856, and took a land claim. Later he taught school two years, and in 1865 moved to Frankford township, where he purchased 160 acres of land, of which fifteen acres were under cultivation.

On this farm he raised his family of four children, Hattie, wife of L. W. Hunt; William D., Jay and Henry J., Jr. His wife was Katherine Sharp.

The father of Henry J. and grandfather of William D. Lockwood was Charles, born in New Milford, Conn., 1802. His father was Josiah, born in Norwalk, Conn., 1766. His father, Isaac, was born in Norwalk, Conn., December 24, 1727. The family record states that the family is Welsh and that three brothers came to America in 1600. Daniel settled in Stamford, Conn. Isaac, father of Isaac, mentioned above, settled in Norwalk, Conn. The third brother was either John or James, who settled at Horseneck, Conn.




Henry J. Lockwood, Jr.

b: 1879

Henry J. Lockwood, Jr., of Frankford township, is of that younger generation who combine the hardworking, industrious temperament of their predecessors with the intelligent and scientific understanding of agricultural conditions which has resulted from modern experiment and investigation.

The subject of this sketch is a native of Mower county, having been born on the farm where he now resides February 14, 1879, son of Henry J. Lockwood, Sr., now deceased. He received his early education in the district schools of his neighborhood and in the graded schools of Grand Meadow. Then he entered the agricultural school of the University of Minnesota, and was pursuing his studies there when he was called home by his father's death.

He now has charge of the Lockwood estate consisting of 525 acres in sections 14, 22, 23 and 27, Frankford township, and carries on general farming on an extensive scale, making a specialty of Shorthorn and Durham cattle. Mr. Lockwood is an independent Democrat, and has served as treasurer of school district 19 for eight years. He is also a stockholder in the Exchange Bank, of Grand Meadow.

The subject of this sketch was married September 2, 1902, to Julia Nelson, born in Grand Meadow, this county, February 27, 1880, daughter of Gilbert and Karen G. (Olson) Nelson, who came to America from Norway in 1870, located in Grand Meadow township and took up general farming, the father dying January 10, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. Lockwood have two children: Katherine Claire, born August 8, 1905, and Charles Henry, born February 15, 1910.




Henry J. Lockwood, Sr.

Henry J. Lockwood, Sr., was one of the early settlers of this county, although not of the earliest. He was born of true American parents of French and English descent, who were among the first settlers. of the country. His mother died when he was thirteen years of age, and being the only boy the duty of becoming bread winner for the family devolved upon him, the father being a cripple.

Henry J. clothed and schooled his two sisters on his small salary of $12.50 per month for four years, or until they were old enough to work some. His "stick-to-it-iveness" and determination won for him the respect of men who helped him up the ladder, round by round.

In 1858 he came from Ohio to Minnesota with a team and settled in Fillmore county, where he taught school winters and worked his farm of eighty acres in summer. In 1863 he went back to Ohio and married Kathryn Sharp, who with his sisters accompanied him back to this western home.

When the Indians made trouble at New Ulm and at other places he applied for enlistment but was again rejected as on two other occasions when the calls were made for volunteers at the beginning of the Civil war, on account of his having but one eye (the sight of the other being damaged by a cataract growth).

He figured strongly in the political affairs of the township wherein he resided. In 1865 he bought a farm of 160 acres in Frankford township and moved onto it in May of that year. He served two terms as county commissioner and was always found ready to serve the best interests of the county regardless of threats or bribery, thus placing him in the ranks of those who do and dare. He was a strong and loyal lover of liberty and strove to serve his country. His opportunity came when the Spanish war broke out, and Jay, his second son, enlisted in Company G of the Twelfth Regiment of Minnesota Volunteers, the members of which were held at Chickamauga, for months. Jay became very sick, and as a father Mr. Lockwood kept his word. "Boy, I'll come when you need me," and he went despite the entreaties of his family. He nursed, waited upon, fanned and kept flies off the sick boys until the strength of his sixty-two years began to lag and he became a victim of the typhoid malaria and lived but one month after reaching home, dying with the full assurance that he had served his country.

Word came from camp often, enquiring of "Dad's" welfare, for that is what they named him at the U. S. hospital. The sick boys would call and call for assistance and as a last resort call for "Dad," who never failed them as long as his strength remained. Though not rich he left a good farm of 525 acres as a result of the push and determination of a poor boy.

He was an example of charity for his fellow man, and his straight, honest dealings in business and politics won for him the respect of those who were acquainted with him.




Thron M. Lokke

b: 1847

Thron M. Lokke, a venerable resident of the village of Grand Meadow, was born near Honefos, in Norway, January 18, 1847, son of Mons Lokke, a carpenter by trade, as well as a farmer. Thron M. Lokke came to America with his parents in 1852, and with them located in York, Green county, Wisconsin, where he spent his early manhood on a farm.

At the age of twenty-five years he went to Floyd county, Iowa, and rented a farm one year. Then he came to Frankford township, this county, and settled in section 32, where he continued to live until the fall of 1909, when he retired and took up his residence in the village, leaving the management of the farm to his son, Martin.

Mr. Lokke married Carolina E., daughter of Iver Peterson, and this union has resulted in eleven children: Martin, Helen G. (deceased), Hannah J., Isaac G. (deceased), Sena G., Theodora E., Theodore (deceased), Gilbert (deceased), Gilbert, Josie M. and Clarence. Martin married Anna Hovda and has two children, Myrtle A. and Truman E. Hannah J. married Torn Odden and they have six children: Inga, Elsie, Helen, Josie, Seymour and Rollin. Mr. and Mrs. Odden live in Aldrich, Wadena county, Minnesota.




Martin Lokke

b: 1872

Martin Lokke, a progressive young farmer of Frankford township, was born in Green county, Wisconsin, March 27, 1872, son of Thomas M. and Carolina E. Lokke. He was brought to Frankford township by his parents, and was here reared to manhood, attending school in district 97 and learning agricultural pursuits from his father.

In 1909 he took charge of the home farm, and is conducting it in a modern and up-to-date manner. At one time he was town marshal for Grand Meadow, and he is now treasurer of school district 97. He married Annie O. Hovda, daughter of E. 0. and Anna Hovda, and they have two bright children, Myrtle A. and Truman E.




O. T. Lund

b: 1848

O. T. Lund, merchant, former president of the village council of Lyle, was born in Norway, September 1, 1848, son of Thor Gunnuelson and Ingborg Jurgenson, his wife, both born near Skien. Thor Gunnuelson was a carpenter and died January 17, 1868, his wife passing away in Lyle, Minn., in 1888.

O.T. received his earlier education in Norway, and learned the tailor trade in the city of Skien. April 18, 1868, accompanied by his mother and sister, he left Norway, and upon arriving in America located in Columbia county, Wisconsin.

In April, 1869, he went to Chicago, pursued English studies and followed his trade until 1882, when he came to Mower county, located in Lyle, and with his brother-in-law, A. O. Myher, entered into the general merchandise business by buying out G. F. Hammel. After five years the partners divided the stock, and since that date, Mr. Lund has been in business alone. He has served as member and president of the village council of Lyle and has been on the school board some quarter of a century. Aside from his business and a pleasant home on Fourth Street, he owns stock in the Lyle Telephone Company.

Mr. Lund was married in Chicago in August, 1872, to Emma Olson, who died in Lyle, March 1, 1884. This union was blessed with three children: Ida Rebecca died while a student at the Norwegian Normal school at Sioux Falls, S. D.; Oscar Theadore died at eight years and Matilda Susan at eleven months.

Mr. Lund was married at Lyle, August 30, 1886, to Anna Ashley, and this union has been blessed with six children: Ruth (deceased), Ruth Juliette, Cora Viola, Alice Bendicka, Thorman, C. O. and Ida Rebecca. The family faith is that of the Norwegian Lutheran church.




Andrew Lybeck

b: 1861

Andrew Lybeck, a substantial and prosperous farmer of Grand Meadow township, was born in Racine township, this county, March 22, 1861, son of Andrew Lybeck, the elder. The father was born in Norway, came to America, married and lived for a time in Racine township, this county. Then he moved to Pleasant Valley township with his family and there ended his days, his wife also passing away there. Andrew, the subject of this sketch, was reared on the home farm, and after his father's death continued for a while to manage the homestead.

Later he purchased eighty acres in section 2, Grand Meadow, where he now resides. He has extensive interests throughout the county, and is well known as a successful farmer.




Harcar Lyons

b: abt 1845

Harcar Lyons, an old settler, was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, son of Joseph Lyons. In 1857 he came to Mower county with his brother, John P., and settled in Lansing township.

On November 1, 1863, he enlisted in Co. B, Second Minnesota Cavalry, and served on the frontier against the Indians. He was honorably discharged in December, 1865, after which he returned to Lansing and resumed farming.

He married, November 24, 1870, Mary A. Bernier, born October 12, 1849, daughter of Joseph and Henrietta (De Mars) Bernier. This union has been blessed with two daughters: Fay Eugene and Elizabeth V. Elizabeth V. married R. L. Johnson and they have two children: Louise L. and Hazel I.




Webization by Kermit Kittleson
©2008 MnGenWeb