Mower County, Minnesota

Group File 08


Knute A. Allrick

b: 1867

Knute A. Allrick was born in Mower county in 1867, son of Andrew and Sarah Allrick, the pioneers. He received his education in the schools of Adams and remained at home with his father assisting on the farm. From the time he was twenty-four until reaching his thirtieth year, he worked regularly for his father and at the end of that period purchased the eighty acres where he now makes his home. This, at the time of purchase, was wild land, but he set about breaking and improving it and now has an excellent farm, having erected a full complement of buildings and purchased an adequate amount of tools, implements and machinery.

He raises some general crops, but turns much of his attention to grain and makes a specialty of Shorthorn cattle. Mr. Allrick is a Republican in politics and is now serving as road overseer. He attends the Lutheran church and belongs to the Modern Woodmen.

The subject of this sketch was married in 1897 to Susie Anderson, daughter of Andrew Anderson. Mrs. Allrick was born in Norway, came to this country in 1892, and lived for a time in Fillmore county before coming to this county.




Erick Alrick

b: 1865

Erick Alrick, who farms on land that has been in his family for over half a century, was born on the old homestead in Adams township in 1865, and with the exception of periods when he was engaged in business in Iowa, has since resided there. He was reared in the home of his parents, Andrew A. and Sarah Alrick, and attended the district schools.

At 26 years of age he went to Thompson, Iowa, took a partner and began business, carrying a full line of hardware and agricultural implements. This business was successful, and in it Mr. Alrick continued for ten years. In 1901 he sold his interest to A. B. Larson, and returned to Adams township to take charge of the old homestead which he has since conducted. He has devoted much of his time to breeding Herefords and raising grain, and he makes a specialty of hogs, having raised Poland Chinas and Warwickshires. He is now acquiring a well developed breed of Reds. In working his 240 acres he uses ten horses and hires considerable help during the busy season.

Mr. Alrick is a Republican. He was married in 1898 to Julia Hamlin, and he and his wife attend the Lutheran church.




Andrew A. Alrick

Andrew A. Alrick, and Sarah Alrick, his wife, were born in Norway and came to America in 1856, locating in Wisconsin, where they remained for years. Then they started with two yoke of oxen and their household goods in a prairie schooner for Minnesota, arriving in Adams after a journey of many hardships.

They homesteaded a quarter section and here ended their days, being respected and honored throughout the community as hardworking and industrious people.




Andrew H. Anderson

b: 1843

Andrew H. Anderson, now deceased, prominent citizen of Lyle, and for many years president of the First National Bank of Lyle, which institution he organized, was born in Drammen, Norway, November 15, 1843, and came to America in 1852 with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Halvor Anderson. They stopped in Racine,. Wis., and the following spring went to St. Ansgar, Iowa, where they engaged in farming.

Andrew H. remained at home until 28 years of age, and then went to Nebraska, where he took a homestead and remained for seven years. Later he moved to Wahoo, Neb., and engaged in the lumber business until 1880.

In that year he came to Lyle, and after engaging in the hardware business ten years opened a private bank, which in 1901 was reorganized as the First National Bank, Mr. Anderson becoming its first president, a position he held at the time of his death. Mr. Anderson did much for the growth of Lyle.

He acted as village treasurer twenty years, and was a member of the school board for many terms. He was liberal, broad minded and charitable, and a truly representative citizen. The subject of this sketch was first married December 28, 1871, to Barbro Oline Blakestad, who died April 4, 1888, leaving six children: H. 0., who is in the implement and machine business at Crookston, Minn.; Anna M., who is now Mrs. W. R. Hunter, of Lyle; Bertha L., now Mrs. B. J. Robertson, whose husband is postmaster at Lyle; Ida E., of Lyle, a music teacher; Ralph Arthur, a Lyle banker, and Rufus, now a teller in the Merchants' Bank, at Los Angeles, Cal. Mr. Anderson was married the second time to Mrs. Christine M. Craig, who died in October, 1900. In February, 1903, he married Mrs. Anne Myhre, who survives him.

He died October 29, 1910.




Ralph Arthur Anderson

b: 1884

Ralph Arthur Anderson, banker of Lyle, was born in Lyle, March 13, 1884, second son of Andrew H. Anderson. He attended the village schools, and started work in his father's private bank as assistant cashier. He also worked in the bank at Rose Creek for a while. In 1903 he went to Crookston, Minn., and for two years worked in the abstract office of Christianson and Strander.

Later he became a bookkeeper in the First National Bank, of Crookston, a position he held with credit until April, 1910, when lie entered the First National Bank of Lyle, to look after his father's interests. Mr. Anderson is a popular member of the K. of P., B.P.0.E. and the M. W. A. and is well liked by his fellows. After the death of his father he was appointed village treasurer, and was elected to the office in 1911.




John H. Anderson

b: 1872

John H. Anderson, a hardworking farmer of Clayton township, was born in Adams township, July 7, 1872, son of Hans and Isabel Anderson. He was educated in the country schools, and when twenty years of age started in life on his own responsibility. He worked out by the month, then on the railroad and then at the carpenter trade one year. For four years he rented land, and then purchased eighty acres.

He now has 160 acres in section 17, Clayton township, and on this he now conducts mixed farming. He has forty-five head of cattle, which he raises for dairy and beef purposes, a drove of hogs and several head of grade Percheron horses. His house is well located, and an evergreen drive adds greatly to the appearance of the place.

Mr. Anderson is a Republican in politics, has been road overseer two years and treasurer of school district 74 for two terms. The subject of this sketch was married January 1, 1896, to Christina Huseby, daughter of Arne A. Huseby, of Marshall township, and this union has resulted in seven children: Selma, Ella, Ida, Herbert, Arnold, Adeline and Joel. All except Adeline and Joel are attending school and doing well in their studies.

The family faith is that of the Lutheran church. Hans and Isabella Anderson came to America from Norway and settled in Dane county, Wisconsin. Two years later they came to Adams township and purchased land on which they farmed until the death of Hans A., in 1910. Mrs. Isabella Anderson is now living in Marshall township.




Americus V. Bacon

b: 1839

Americus V. Bacon, veteran of the Civil war and retired merchant of Lansing, was born in Wilton, Franklyn county, Maine, in 1839, son of Josiah and Jerusha (Gould) Bacon. He spent his early life on the farm, and at the outbreak of the Civil war enlisted in the 8th Maine Vol. Inf., and played low bass in the regimental band.

In 1862 the band was discharged and he returned home, reenlisting in the 2nd Maine Cavalry, and serving as bugler in Co. F until the close of the war, returning home in December, 1865. In 1868 he came west and located in St. Charles, Winona county, Minnesota, staying there thirteen years.

During this period he married Minnie L. Schenk, daughter of John and Minnie Schenk, of St. Charles, formerly from Lomira, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Bacon came to Lansing in the spring of 1881, and Mr. Bacon took up the coal business, which he conducted for ten years, disposing of it at the end of that period. He then went into the lumber business, which he carried on until 1901.

He now owns a farm about two miles out of the village of Lansing. He has been a justice of the peace for several years, and is a member of the G. A. R. Mr. and Mrs. Bacon have two children: Eleanor and Arthur J. Eleanor is now Mrs. Albert Schisley and has one son, Kenneth. Mrs. Bacon died in 1906 and in 1907 Mr. Bacon married Mrs. Grace M. Thorn, of Minneapolis.




Robert Bagley

b: 1868

Robert Bagley, a prominent farmer of Udolpho, has taken a keen interest in the progress of that part of the county. He has served his township as clerk for a number of years and has been constable three years. As clerk he was accurate and painstaking, and as constable he was courageous and just. He is a product of Mower county, born in Udolpho township in a log house on the site of his present pleasant residence, September 17, 1868, son of Henry and Rachel (Green) Bagley, pioneers.

He has devoted his life to farming, and raises general crops and live stock. He married Gertrude Ingvaldson, and has seven children: Maude R., Blanche A., Maurice H., Ralph H., Ruth and Ruby (twins), and Gertrude L.




Henry Bagley

Henry Bagley, a pioneer, and veteran of the Civil war, came from New York state with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. David Bagley, and located in Udolpho about 1857. He married Rachel Green, whose mother was a Richardson, of the family of Thomas Richardson, who came to Udolpho from St. Lawrence county, New York, in 1856, with the earliest settlers.

Henry Bagley served in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art., and his statue, carved life size from granite, marks the spot in Udolpho cemetery where his earthly remains await the last call. He lost his right hand in horsepower while threshing in 1875. Moved to Minneapolis 1884, engaged in mercantile business until 1890, when he moved back to the farm where he continued to live until autumn of 1902, when he moved to the Pacific coast and settled at Sedro Woolley, Wash., where he bought a fruit ranch but died suddenly of cerebral hemorrhage February 13, 1906, his wife having preceded him two years.




Philip Baldner

Philip Baldner was born in Prussia, Germany, and married Maggie Weber. They came to America in 1854, and located near Princeton, Ill. It was in 1860 that they came to Adams township, and here they lived in section 25 until 1886, when they moved to Mitchell county, Iowa, and lived there until the death of Philip, in July, 1904. Mrs. Baldner is living at the good old age of 79, and is making her home with her daughter, Mrs. William Ehlke.

There were ten children in the family: Louis lives in Mitchell county, Iowa; Maggie married William Ehlke and lives in the same county; Philip likewise lives in that county; David lives in Cresco, Iowa; Barbara, wife of Carl Young, deceased, lives in Spokane, Wash.; Lizzie is the wife of Henry Longrock, of Alberta, Canada; John lives in Mitchell county; Fred farms in Nevada township; Mary is the wife of Henry Meier, of David, Iowa; William lives in Adams township. Another child, unnamed, died in infancy.




Rev. Alanson Beach

b: 1808

Rev. Alanson Beach, now deceased, was one of that band of devout Methodist clergymen who did so much to assist in the progress of that denomination in this country. He was born in Rensselaerville, Albany county, New York, October 26, 1808. His early days were spent on the farm, his time being devoted to farm work, to teaching and to study. He was ordained to the Methodist Episcopal ministry at a meeting of the Troy conference, held at Schenectady, N. Y., May 15, 1833, Bishop Wangh presiding.

He preached in several cities until 1856, when he came west and located on sections 32 and 33, in what is now Lyle township, Mower county. Then he went back and got his family, bringing them to his claim in Mower county, one of the sons, Wilson, in taking part of the trip alone. Upon reaching Lyle township, they took up their home in a large log house with puncheon floor and a stone chimney.

After a few years the family erected a fine frame house. Rev. Beach died July 30, 1877. He was very prominent in county affairs, was county commissioner for eight years, chairman of his township for many terms, and also served in other positions of trust and honor. He was married March 15, 1832, to Sinai Tanner, who was born in Albany county, New York, February 24, 1809. They had three children: John, Wilson and Zillah.




Simon T. Bohn

b: 1881

Simon T. Bohn, an industrious farmer of Clayton township, was born May 26, 1881, son of T. S. and Annie Bohn. He was reared in Grand Meadow, his natal place, attended the schools there and in Adams, when quite young started to work out as a farm hand. In 1906, Simon T. Bohn purchased the farm of 160 acres in section 17, Clayton township, and here he has since resided, successfully conducting general farming.

He keeps forty to fifty head of cattle, thirty to forty Chester White hogs, and five Norman horses. Mr. Bohn was married December 31, 1902, to Josephine Olena Wiste, born May 5, 1883, in Marshall township, and they have two children: Alice Helen, born February 20, 1906, and Aaron Theodore, born February 7, 1909.




Edward S. Bosworth

b: 1871

Edward S. Bosworth, manager and owner of the LeRoy Electric Light plant, was born in the village where he now resides, January 14, 1871, son of Daniel and Ann (Nevins) Bosworth. He attended school in LeRoy, and after completing his schooling spent ten years of his life in northern Minnesota.

In 1899 he returned to LeRoy and is now engaged in operating the electric light plant which his father started that year. Mr. Bosworth married Elizabeth Powell, daughter of Lorenzo Powell, and they have one child, Grover. The subject of this sketch is a popular member of the A. F. and A. M., and of the M. W. A.




Daniel Bosworth

b: 1828

Daniel Bosworth was one of the active business men of LeRoy for over thirty-four years. He was the son of Thomas and Harriet Bosworth, born at Great Creaton, Northamptonshire, England, April 19, 1828. He was educated in the academy of George Wills, of Narborough, in Leicestershire, and at thirteen years of age was bound an apprentice in the city of London to an architect and builder for a term of five years.

After three years, however, he purchased the remainder of his time, and worked as a journeyman in various parts of England until eighteen years of age.

In 1846 he with his parents moved to Granby, Oswego county, and there Daniel followed his trade as a master builder. June 14, 1853, he married Miss L. A. Draper, born at Granby, November 19, 1833, daughter of John and Fannie Draper. She died October 26, 1855, leaving by her marriage with Mr. Bosworth one daughter, Ida L. Soon after the death of his first wife, Daniel Bosworth moved from Oswego county, New York, to Elyria, Lorain county, Ohio, in November, 1856.

There he followed his trade, and there he was married November 25, 1858, to Ann E. S. Nevins, oldest daughter of Birdsey and Francis Nevins. To this union were born seven children, five boys and two' girls: Harry T., William B., Hugh F., Harriet Frances, Edward Starr, Daniel W., and Lottie S. Mr. Bosworth followed his business as a builder in Elyria until October, 1862, when he enlisted as a private in Company A, Sixth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and served until October of the following year, when he was discharged for sickness.

In May, 1864, for the benefit of his health, he came to Mower county, followed his occupation as a builder, engaged extensively in the real estate business and in other interests, and became a respected, honored and substantial citizen. He died in 1900.




Merrill Bowers

b: 1872

Merrill Bowers, treasurer of the village of LeRoy since 1906, was born in Clayton county, Indiana, October 28, 1872, son of W. H. and Ellen J. (Atwood) Bowers. He received his education in the public schools of Cresco, Iowa, and took a course at Valder's business college at Decorah, Iowa.

After starting out in life for himself, his first position was with the Cresco department store, a position he held for six years. His banking career was started in that year as teller for the Cresco Savings Bank, a position he retained for three and a half years. In 1904 he came to LeRoy, and took up his duties as assistant cashier of the First National Bank, serving in the same capacity at the present date. Mr. Bowers is an independent voter, a member of the Presbyterian church, a member of the I.O.O.F. and the M.W.A. and an estimable citizen in every respect.

He was married May 8, 1899, to Ida E. Lomas. W. H. and Ellen J. (Atwood) Bowers, parents of Merrill Bowers, lived for many years in Elkader, Iowa, the former having been born in Pennsylvania and the latter being of Scotch-Irish descent. Mrs. Ellen Bowers died in Cresco, Iowa, March 10, 1905, and in that city W. H. is still successfully engaged in business.




Jacob S. Bowers

b: 1829

Jacob S. Bowers, deceased, was for many years an honored resident of Lyle township, where his integrity and honor will long be remembered. His friends mingled high respect with their intimate liking of the man, and his influence was ever for the good. His was a life well spent, and his duty in earth's battles were faithfully performed.

He was born in Canada, December 28, 1829, where he received his early education and grew to manhood, learning the carpenter's trade, which he followed in connection with conducting a sawmill.

May 15, 1849, he married Elizabeth Quickfall, born in Lincolnshire, England, February 7, 1829. She came to America with her parents at two years of age, locating in New York State, where they remained for six years, after which they removed to Canada, where she was educated and grew to maturity.

In 1860 Mr. and Mrs. Bowers came to the United States and located in Lemar, in the northwestern part of Missouri, remaining until the following spring, when they moved to Fayette county, Iowa, two years later going to Osage, Iowa, where they remained for eight years, after which they came to Minnesota and located in Lyle township, Mower county, where Mr. Bowers purchased 200 acres in section 17.

Like the other arrivals of that period, he broke and improved the land and brought his farm to a high degree of excellence, at the same time following his trade as a carpenter. He died May 17, 1908. To Mr. and Mrs. Bowers were born seven children: Norman S., the oldest, died at Superior, Wis., December 15, 1909; Mrs. Itanna L. Haney was born in May, 1852; Harriett E. was born in June, 1854, and married M. E. Varco; Milton E. was born in August, 1856; Charles was born August 8, 1858; Alberta was born in March, 1864, and married B. V. Wilder; Wilhelmina M. was born in May, 1867, and married F. Hotson. Mr. Bowers was a Democrat and a Mason, and was buried with Masonic honors. Mrs. Bowers, who is past eighty-two years of age, is a remarkable example of all that is sweet and beautiful in old age. Aside fron adisabled hip, as the result of an accident, she is sprightly and bright, retaining all her faculties. She reads without glasses and keeps well abreast of the times in every way.




Hosmer A. Brown

b: 1830

Hosmer A. Brown, one of the substantial and honored citizens of Mower county, and after whom the thriving village of Brownsdale was named, was born in North Stonington, Conn., September 30, 1830, son of Matthew and Lucy (Denison) Brown, natives of the Nutmeg state, who lived on an old homestead, which had been held within the family since the first settlement of Stonington.

The property is still in the family. The parents lived on this farm until their death, the mother dying in 1849 and the father in 1860. They raised a family of four children, three boys and one girl, Hosmer A. being the youngest. He received his education in the common schools and then learned the carpenter trade.

In the fall of 1851, Mr. Brown went by the way of the Isthmus to California and engaged in mining for a period of two years, after which he received contracts for erecting government buildings at Fort Point, San Francisco. He followed this business until the spring of 1855, when he took passage on board the steamer "Golden Age" for home.

When within 300 miles of Panama and off the island of Kakera the vessel struck a reef and drove a hole in her bow. The vessel was run ashore but soon filled with water and sank on the beach. Mr. Brown, having had experience in making pumps and draining mines in California, was employed by the captain to assist in stopping the leaks and getting the vessel afloat, which was accomplished on the ninth day, after which they set sail for the British dry docks on the island Toboga.

For his services, Mr. Brown received from the steamship company $500 in the way of a donation. After remaining thirty days on the island he crossed the Isthmus and came on the steamer "Illinois," from there to his home in Connecticut, where he spent the summer. In the fall Mr. Brown started for Kansas.

On reaching Ft. Des Moines, Ia., he heard so much of the troubles there that he changed his mind and came to Minnesota, arriving at Spring Valley, Fillmore county, December, and there spent the winter.

In April, 1856, he, in company with his brother, Andrew D., who had come from Connecticut that spring, came to Red Rock township, this county, Hosmer A. entering the northeast quarter of section 9 with a land warrant given his father for services in the war of 1812. He also bought of a Norwegian the southeast quarter of section 9.

Mr. Brown and his brother, together with John L. Johnson, were the original proprietors of the townsite of Brownsdale, where Mr. Brown's brother erected one of the first sawmills in Mower county. In the fall of 1870 Mr. Brown was elected to the legislature and served that term. The same year he secured the location of the Southern Minnesota R. R. at Brownsdale. Hosmer A. Brown was married in St. Paul January 1, 1870, to Mary L. Frink, born in North Stonington, Conn., her parents being Joseph and Lucy (Billings Coals) Frink, natives of Connecticut.

The father was a soldier of the war of 1812. The mother died in 1866, aged 66. The father died in 1871 while visiting his son-in-law, Dr. William A. Babcock, in Illinois. Mrs. Brown received her education at the Suffield Literary Institute, at Suffield, Conn.




William Brown

b: 1843

William Brown was born in Scotland, New Year's day, 1843, son of Alexander and Margaret Brown, who brought their family to America in 1846 and settled in Brooklyn, N. Y., where Alexander followed his trade as a rope maker three years, thus saving enough money to purchase a farm in Dane county, Wisconsin, where he and his wife ended their days, Alexander at the age of seventy and Margaret at the age of ninety.

William left Wisconsin when twenty-four years of age, and lived a short time in Cresco, Iowa, after which he came to Mower county, and on March 29, 1868, acquired 160 acres of land in section 8, Pleasant Valley township. He remained there two years and then came to his present location in section 24, now owning 400 acres in sections.23, 24 and 25. He also owns ten acres of timber land in High Forest, Olmsted county, and a fine city residence with three acres of ground in Stewartsville. Since the failure of the wheat crop in 1878 he has followed diversified farming and stock raising.

He has about sixty head of cattle of the Shorthorn variety and for many years has made a specialty of Poland- China hogs, of which he has 125 head. Mr. Brown was married. July 30, 1865, to Marion McCoy, a native of Scotland and daughter of James and Marion McCoy. This union has been blessed with seven children: Alexander W. is married and lives in St. Paul, where he is engaged in the grain commission business. James E. is married and is now engaged in machinery and implement dealing in Stewartville, where he owns the Farmers Supply Company.

He was reared in this county, taught school here nine years, and was subsequently salesman for the Fairbanks-Morse Company, seven years before starting in business for himself. George F. is married and lives on an eighty-acre farm of his own and operates his father's farm in Pleasant Valley. Maggie is the wife of E. H. Englehart, of Pleasant Valley. Della May died at the age of thirty-three. She was the wife of Frank Reese.

At the age of thirty her health failed; local physicians were unable to diagnose her ailments, and she was treated by leading medical men of Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis, Omaha and Denver without relief. Finally, in Denver, realizing that the end was near, she started for home. When she reached Omaha she was too greatly exhausted to continue the journey, and her parents accordingly joined her there and were at her bedside when she died two months later. William is married and farms in Racine township. The youngest died in infancy.




Andrew D. Brown

Andrew D. Brown, a territorial pioneer, with his brother, Hosmer A., came to Minnesota in 1856, and founded the town of Brownsdale. Mr. Brown, who four times circumnavigated the globe, was born in North Stonington, Connecticut, in 1818, in the old homestead which had been in the possession of the family since the seventeenth century.

He became master of a ship sailing to the East Indies, but in 1849 he went with the gold rush to California, where he established a trading post and prospered. After returning to Connecticut, for several years he located in Minnesota, and with his brother, Hosmer A. Brown, founded the town of Brownsdale, where he lived until five years ago, when he moved to Minneapolis.

He was married to Adeline Portlo, of Deerfield, Massachusetts, in 1854. Mr. Brown engaged in the lumber and milling industry and became the owner of large tracts of land. He married Melissa E. Bacon, of Brownsdale, in 1871, four years after the death of his first wife. Mr. Brown is survived by a wife, and four children: Mrs. C. D. Holbrook, Brownsdale; Mrs. T. E. Doolittle, North Platte, Nebraska; Mrs. L. W. Powers, and Hosmer A. Brown, of Minneapolis; and a brother, Hosmer A. Brown, Brownsdale.

He died in Minneapolis in May, 1911, and is buried in Brownsdale.




James R. Brownell

b: 1839

James R. Brownell, a veteran of the Civil War, is one of the honored and esteemed residents of Racine township, and is a member of the G.A.R.

The subject of this sketch was born in Michigan, April 1, 1839, son of Sands and Hannah M. Brownell. In 1853, the family came to Decorah, Iowa, and a few months later came to Fillmore county and staked their claim for a home, the land not then being surveyed. The parents lived in that county until the fall of 1869, when they moved to Mahaska county, Iowa, some years later moving to Waukee, where the mother died. After some years the father went to Oregon, and died in 1904 at the age of ninety-three.

James R., better known as Russell, received his education in the district schools, and continued to work on the home farm until 1861, when he went to Michigan and engaged in nursery work. In 1863, he enlisted in Co. I, Mounted Rangers, and afterward served in Co. D, Brackett's Battalion, in North and South Dakota and Montana, the troops being sent to settle the Indian troubles. He received his honorable discharge at Ft. Snelling in 1866.

Then he returned to Fillmore county and in 1868 purchased 160 acres of land in section 29, Racine township, afterwards buying 160 acres joining, where he farmed six years. Subsequently he sold out, but in 1882 had to take the farm back again. He now owns a fine farm of 320 acres. On this place he carries on general farming. James R. Brownell married, March 23, 1887, Anna E. Gove, daughter of Dennis and Sally B. Gove, whose mother was one of the early school teachers in Mower and Fillmore counties.

This union has been blessed with five children: Howard is at home; Florence is teaching; Percy is a student in Grinnell College, in Iowa; Tracy is a student in the University of Minnesota and Fred a student at Grinnell College.




Charles Brownlow

b: 1872

Charles Brownlow, one of the prominent citizens of LeRoy village, has extensive interests in this part of the county, and is honored as a man of progressive views and keen business ability. He was born in Beaver Dam, Wis., November 17, 1872, son of Joseph and Eliza (Hufton) Brownlow.

He received his early education in the district schools of Mower county, and then took up farming with his father and brothers, helping to break and develop what was then the extensive Brownlow farm. Here he carried on farming until 1901, when he retired and moved to the village of LeRoy, where he and his family now reside in a beautiful home on North Main Street.

He looks after his own business interests, and has charge of his wife's farm of 1,280 acres in Clayton township, owning aside from this a section of land in North Dakota. He is a Republican, has served on the village council of LeRoy, affiliates with the I.O.O.F. and the M.W.A., and attends the Baptist church. Mr. Brownlow was married December 5, 1901, at LeRoy, to Claudine Colman, daughter of D. B. Colman.




Joseph Brownlow

Joseph Brownlow was born in Lincolnshire, England, and came to America as a young man, afterward returning to his native shire and marrying Eliza Hufton, a native of the same place. Together they located in Beaver Dam, Wis., where Joseph engaged in farming for a short period, later taking up the cooperage business at the same place.

In 1875 he moved his family to the state of Maryland, where they remained four years, from 1875 to 1879, and then in 1880 coming to LeRoy immediately locating in Lodi township, where he first purchased 280 acres of land. To this farm he added from time to time until he owned 640 acres, his land lying in the townships of LeRoy, Bennington and Lodi. Together with his sons he broke and developed this land, erected commodious buildings, and there remained until his death. He was a man of sterling qualities, well liked throughout the community for his industry, thrift and honesty.

He died November 3, 1903, and his wife March 16, 1887. They were the parents of five children, four sons and one daughter: William, now on the home farm in Lodi; Fannie, who is now Mrs. Henry J. Boyd, of LeRoy; Richard, a farmer of LeRoy township; Charles, of LeRoy, and Frank, who also carries on farming in LeRoy township.




Thomas Cahill

Thomas Cahill, the genial proprietor of the Taopi Hotel, is a native of Connecticut, born in New London, November 12, 1844, son of Dennis and Ann Riley Cahill, who brought him to Dodge county, Wisconsin, in 1845, at one year of age, taking him at eleven years of age to Sank county, in the same state. Here he received his education and grew to manhood.

In 1866 he engaged in farming for himself, in Sauk county, an occupation he followed there three years. He then worked at the timber business in the same county for a similar period. In 1873 he came to Mower county and located in Le Roy township, engaging in farming for one summer, after which he took up the stock and grain buying business, an occupation which he followed until 1891, purchasing grain at Le Roy, Chester, Riceville and Taopi, still maintaining his home at Le Roy.

In 1901 he removed to Taopi, and continued grain buying two more years.

In July, 1893, he rented the Taopi Hotel, which he conducted as landlord until 1902, when he purchased the property, and has since been both landlord and owner. Since coming to Taopi, Mr. Cahill has served as president of the village council, and is now village recorder. Aside from the hotel and buildings in Taopi, he owns a residence and seventeen lots in Le Roy.

Mr. Cahill is a Democrat and a Catholic. He was married February 23, 1867, to Bridget E. Walsh, and to this union have been born five children, of whom two are living: Mary Ellen, now Mrs. H. J. Gosha, operator at Farmington, Minn., and Katherine, who lives at home. Those deceased are John S., James and Thomas.




John E. Chaffee

b: 1849

John E. Chaffee, the genial proprietor of the hotel at Lansing village, was born in Lamartine township, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, in November, 1849, son of Palmer Stone and Eliza (Hall) Chaffee. Ten years ago he came to the picturesque village of Lansing, and has since successfully conducted an excellent hotel. The place is homelike and pleasant, and guests are sure of a cordial welcome and a good meal.

Mr. Chaffee married Jessie Bassett, daughter of John and Olive (Jackson) Bassett, and they have six children: Guy, Nettie, Maude, Ray, Roy and Reed. Guy lives in Freeborn county; Nettie married George S. LaBarr and they have one child, Clinton; Maude married Lee O. Thompson; Ray married Hulda Hale and they have one child, John. Roy married Nellie Vaughan, and they have one child.

Palmer Stone Chaffee was born in Berkshire township, Vermont, in 1827, the youngest of seven children. He married Eliza Hall. He came west in 1849, located in Lamartine, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, and lived there until the spring of 1851, when he went to Newton township, where he ended his days, in 1877. His wife died in 1894. They were the parents of three children: Julius, John E. and Ella L. Julius died in 1860 and Ella L., the wife of J. S. Sweeney, died at Freeport, Illinois.




Lorenzo S. Chapman

b: 1862

Lorenzo S. Chapman, of Waltham, station agent, bank cashier and village clerk, was born in Green Lake county, Wisconsin, May 28, 1862 son of William W. and Elizabeth (Palmer) Chapman. He received his early education in the district and graded schools of his native county, and also attended the normal school in that county as well as the one in Crawford county, Kansas.

He taught school for a time in Green Lake county, and then became a carpenter and painter for a few years. In 1888 he entered the employ of the Minnesota & Northwestern, now the Chicago Great Western, as agent and operator at Renova, Minn. In 1889 he was transferred to Waltham as agent and operator, and in this capacity he has since continued.

Before assuming his present position in the Waltham State Bank he was its vice-president three years. His clerkship of the village dates from the original organization. Mr. Chapman was married April 28, 1889, to May Rockwell of Brownsdale, daughter of Alfred Rockwell and his wife, the former of whom died in 1900, and the latter of whom is still living in Brownsdale.

Mr. and Mrs. Chapman have two children: William Alfred, who was born March 4, 1890, is assistant cashier in the Waltham State Bank, and Eva S., an adopted daughter, who was born June 4, 1894, lives at home. The family faith is that of the Methodist church. Mr. Chapman is a Republican, a high degree Mason, and a member of the M. W. A. William.




W. Chapman

W. Chapman was born in New York state and married Elizabeth Palmer, a native of the same state. They located in Wisconsin in 1855, and farmed in Green Lake county until 1878, when they rented their farm and went to Crawford county, Kansas, where they continued farming until the winter of 1879, when William W. died. His widow returned to Green Lake county, Wisconsin, lived there until 1896, and then came to Mower county and lived with her son, Lorenzo, until her death, August 16, 1902. There were five children in the family: Z. W. lives in Northfield, Iowa; H. A. lives in Green Lake county, Wisconsin; Olive A. is now Mrs. F. L. Narcross, of Crow Wing county, Minn.; Ella is now Mrs. Charles Bassett, of Windom township; Lorenzo is a banker of Waltham village.




George R. Church

b: 1838

George R. Church, a retired farmer living in Waltham village, was born in Ulster county, New York, December 5, 1838, son of Adam and Elizabeth A. (Rhoades) Church, who brought their family west in 1843, and settled in New Berlin, ten miles from Milwaukee. George R. grew to manhood in Wisconsin, and in 1867 came to Mower county, starting farming on section 22, Waltham township. There he lived until 1894, when he sold his farm to his son Lewis, and moved to the village of Waltham, where he now lives.

While on his farm, Mr. Church served as postmaster seven years, and was also on the school board. He has been a member of the G. A. R. for many years. The subject of this sketch married, for his first wife, Susan Hannah, and by her had two children, one of whom, Lewis, is living. For his second wife he married Mrs. Alice Johnson, who was born in Roxbury, Washington county, Vermont, daughter of Samuel Waterman, and at the time of her marriage to Mr. Church, widow of Lewis Johnson.

Mr. Church is one of the honored veterans of the Civil war. He enlisted in 1862 in Company G, Twenty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged at the close of the conflict. His service included participation in the activities about Spanish Forts, and the battle of Helena.




Robert Hobson

b: 1845

Robert Hobson, retired farmer of Austin, was born in England December 11, 1845, and there lived until thirteen years of age, at which time he came to Sparta, Wis., and lived on a farm. In 1877 he came to Minnesota and located in Spring Valley, where he farmed two years. Then he came to Mower county, purchased 440 acres in Clayton township, and there lived thirteen years.

Later he moved to Austin township and continued farming. In 1898 he sold a tract of land in section 21, Austin township, to his son Andrew, and purchased a quarter section in section 32, Red Rock township, where he lived five years, after which lie sold out, purchased his present property and erected his present home. Robert Hobson was married July 10, 1867, at Sparta, Wis., to Almira Kelsey, of Pennsylvania, and this union has been blessed with five children: Eliza, Jayne, Andrew, Blanche and Almira.




William L. Hollister

b: 1837

William L. Hollister, M. D., retired physician and surgeon, and former state senator in 1883 and member of the legislature in 1897, was born in the town of Sharon, Schoharie county, New York, January 9, 1837, his father being Luther Hollister. William assisted his father on the farm, and attended the schools of his neighborhood. He started the study of medicine with Dr. A. H. Knapp as his preceptor, and then entered the Albany Medical College, graduating in 1861.

After receiving his diploma he started practice in Stuyvesant, Green county, New York, but at the end of two years removed to Kingston, where he stayed until 1867. In that year he came west, locating in Lansing, this county, and continued practice there four years. In 1871 he came to Austin, where, with the exception of the time devoted to public office, he practiced continuously until ten years ago, when he retired.

In 1883 he was elected to represent this district in the state senate. In May, 1883, he received an appointment as internal revenue agent, and in 1907 again went to the state legislature. He also served as coroner many terms, and many years as pension examiner. Dr. Hollister is a member of the Masonic order and of the Elks.

He was married January 9, 1862, to Mary E. Beatty, daughter of William Beatty, a bricklayer. Mrs. Hollister was born at Coxsackie, N.Y., March 27, 1837, and to her union with William L. Hollister three children were born. Lansing O. is the only one living; Clarence and John F. being dead.




Abram Hollister

b: abt 1840

Abram Hollister, now deceased, a veteran of the Civil war, gave his health and strength to the service of his country, receiving wounds on the nation's battlefields from which he never fully recovered, suffering there from until his death, April 1, 1909.

Mr. Hollister came to Austin in antebellum days, and at the outbreak of the Civil war enlisted in Co. K, 4th Minn. Vol. Inf., his enlistment dating in 1862. He was wounded in the right foot, and received his discharge in 1865. He never fully recovered from this wound, and although he continued farming for some years his wound annoyed him all his life and hastened, probably, his end.

He was married in 1866 to Celia Rawson, and this union was blessed with two daughters, Alice M. and Myra J. Alice M. married Elmer Loucks, and they have three children: Arthur H., Celia M. and William A. Nathan Graves is the husband of Myra J. and they have two children, Lester H. and Nathan A. Mrs. Celia (Rawson) Hollister, widow of Abram Hollister, was born in Jefferson county, New York, daughter of Ozias Rawson, a carpenter by trade, who later in life moved to Canada and became a farmer.




Webization by Kermit Kittleson
©2008 MnGenWeb