Mower County, Minnesota
Group File 02
Herbert Waldo Schleuder
Gus Schleuder died in 1913 and one of his sons, Herbert W. Schleuder, took over the jewelry business.
In 1925 Herbert sold the building to the bank, it was torn down and the new First National Bank Building was erected.
H.W. Schleuder then concentrated on real estate rentals in the office at 223 ½ North Main St. Herbert W. died in 1953.
Mill on the Willow, History of Mower County 1984, pp 221-222
Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008
Merlin Justin Schleuder
B: April 5, 1912
Merlin J. Schleuder, son of Forrest, worked for L.S. Donaldson in Minneapolis about fourteen years. He became general superintendent of the operation. His father passed away in 1942 and is brother in 1947, leaving his uncle alone to run the business. In the fall of 1948 he resigned his position with Donaldson's and moved back to Austin to take over the operation of the real estate rental business. His uncle, Herbert W. Schleuder passed away in 1953.
Merlin was a Director, Vice-President, President of the Chamber of Commerce, President and Director of the Industrial Development Corporation, President of the Rotary Club, and on the Board of Directors of the First National Bank for nineteen years. He also helped organize and acted as President for twenty-six years of the Austin Community Hotel-Motel Corporation. This corporation raised $750,000 in sale of stocks and debentures, and with a mortgage built the seventy-three room Red Cedar Inn on North Main St. This was later sold to Dillion Hotel Co. of Omaha, Nebraska.
The Schleuders have changed most of the fronts of their buildings to keep up with times and have always been interested in the betterment of Austin during this time.
Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008
Alonzo Billings came to Mower County in 1863 and to Lodi Township in 1864, at which time he settled on the southeast quarter of section 15, where he still lives. His farm, which he now cultivates, contains 200 acres.
He was born in Courtland County, New York, July 18, 1820. He attended school and assisted his father on the farm until sixteen years of age when he commenced to learn the blacksmiths trade. He did not like that work, so after a short time he engaged on a sailing vessel, plying between Buffalo and Cleveland, and followed the life of a sailor twelve years, then went to Michigan and found employment in a saw mill four years, after which he opened a boarding house. Three years later he moved to Walworth County, Wisconsin, bought a farm and lived there until the time of his coming to Mower County.
He was married in on November, 1843, to Sarah Jane Stillwell. She was born in York State in 1827.
History of Mower County 1884 pg 444
[Died March 23, 1893, Buried at Woodlawn Cemetery, Taopi, next to his brother Randall Billings]
Submitted by K. Pike January 2008
Christopher C. [Perry] Bell
Christopher C. Bell [Christopher Perry Bell], a settler of 1857 was born in Otsego County, New York in 1828.
His father was a native of Yorkshire England and emigrated to the United States in 1802 and settled at Albany, New York where the parents died.
Mr. Bell is one of the large landholders of the township. [Lansing Township]
History of Mower County 1884 pg 390
[NOTE: Christopher Perry Bell b. Nov 24, 1828, d. June 6, 1906, was buried at Oakwood Cemetery, Austin, Mower County, Minnesota]
Submitted to MnGenWeb by K. Pike -- January 2008
Le Roy Physicians
G.M. Alsdurff, eclectic physician and surgeon of LeRoy was born in Sparta, Crawford County, Pennsylvania, November 24, 1824, in which place he grew up and resided until nearly forty years of age. In the fall of 1864 he moved to southern Minnesota and settled in LeRoy, Mower County in what is known as “oldtown”. Happening to strike the place just in one of those terrible scourges, an epidemic of diphtheria, he had business immediately, and went right into extensive practice in the counties of Mower and Fillmore in Minnesota; Howard and Mitchell in Iowa.
Coming into the country at that date of her history, when landmarks were unknown, highways and bridges were among the things that were not, the doctor has lived to see in the natural progress that has been made in a new country, great advancement, great improvements in all the arts and developments of civilization.
Twenty years has made giant strides in developing and utilizing the wild prairies of the Northwest, which he has been on hand to witness by night and by day. As the name indicates, he is of German descent, third generation from the fatherland. Dr. Alsdurff was the only physician who was permanently located at the old town of LeRoy.
When the new village was laid out in 1867, Dr. Alsdurff opened an office, and the following year removed to that place and has been in constant practice there ever since.
History of Mower County, 1884, pg 112.
Nicholas Ulwelling, now deceased, was a solid and respected citizen of Lansing for many years, having taken up his residence in the township 1892 and purchased the old Yates farm. He was born in Germany and came to America with his parents in 1851. They emigrated to Washington County, Wisconsin, and in 1870 came to Mower County and located in the township of Nevada.
In 1892, as before related, Mr. Ulwelling came to Lansing. His farm is now one of the richest in the county, consisting of 440 well-tilled acres, with suitable and modern buildings and machinery. After a life of successful toil, Mr. Ulwelling passed away January 19, 1910. Mrs. Ulwelling now has charge of the farm, assisted by her children, and is a capable business woman. Before her marriage she was Margaret Uschald [Uschold], a native of Wisconsin but of German descent. The children number nine, as follows: Frank, Joseph, Margaret, Nicholas J., John, Anna, Henry, George, and Trasse. Margaret is now Mrs. Gerhart of Windom Township and Anna is Mrs. Balwers.
“The History of Mower County,” 1911, pg 852.
Rev. Alexander Crosier Reynolds
Rev. A.C. [Alexander Crosier] Reynolds came to Austin in 1873. He is a native of York State, born in the town of Hebron, Washington County, November 3, 1833. His father, Caleb Reynolds, was a native of Duchess County, New York, and a carpenter and joiner by trade.
The subject of our sketch received his early education in the district school. When he was twenty-three years of age, he entered the Fort Edward Collegiate Institute, where he remained two years, when he went to Concord, New Hampshire, and entered the Concord Biblical Institute, from which he graduated in 1861. He joined the Vermont conference at Barre, Vermont; was first stationed as pastor at St. Albans Bay. He afterward preached in different places in New York and Vermont, until, on account of his health, he abandoned the ministry for a time and was engaged for a period of two years at Balston Spa, as a life and fire insurance agent. After, he resumed his calling, continuing the same in the East until 1873.
In 1875 he joined the Minnesota conference, and was stationed at Spring Valley, and later at Byron in Olmsted County, and at Blooming Prairie and in the city of Austin. In 1882, he retired to his farm, and has since devoted his time to agricultural pursuits. His farm contains 240 acres, about 150 of which are improved.
He was married in 1861 to Amanda M. Strever. She was born in the town of Argyle, Washington County, New York [May 24, 1836]. This union has been blessed with six children, Hannah E., William A., Charles C., Frank Datus, Paul, and Amanda.
“History of Mower County,” 1885, pg 292
[A.C. Reynolds died April 19, 1912 and is buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Austin next to his wife Amanda M. (Strever) Reynolds]
Transcribed by K. Pike January -- 2008
John W. Gregg
John W. Gregg was born in the town of Waterbury, Washington County, Vermont, March 9, 1823. His younger days were there spent in school and on his father’s farm. He was joined in marriage May 27, 1847 to Sylvia Mott. She was born in Grand Isle County Vermont, June 10, 1824. They settled on his father’s farm, which he, in company with his brother, managed until 1850 when he sold his interest there and moved to Franklin County, New York, where he purchased a farm.
In 1855 he sold out there and started west to seek a home, settling in Mitchell County, Iowa. He took a claim near the present site of Stacyville and remained there until 1857, when he came to Mower County as stated before. He first built a small frame shanty, the first building in that part of town. Later he built a more commodious frame house and made this his home until the time of his death, which occurred in August 1880. Mrs. Gregg still occupies the homestead.
Mr. Gregg was a useful man in society, was prominent in town affairs. He was a member of the first board of supervisors, was chairman of the board several years and filled various other offices of trust.
“History of Mower County,” 1884, pg 491.
Ashley M. Gregg
Ashley M. Gregg, the oldest son of John W. Gregg was born in Vermont on February 13, 1849. He remained at home until he was twenty-five years of ago, assisting his parents on the farm. He was married January 13, 1876 to Esther N. Tanner, a native of New York State, and was born April 21, 1856, and came to this state in 1872 with her parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Gregg are the parents of three children, Clara E., Madison O., and John H.
“History of Mower County,” 1884, pg 491-492.
Purdy Launsbury [Lounsbury] was born in Ulster County, New York, and moved from there in 1836 to Hudson, Columbia County. His parents were natives of Ulster County. They were descendents of three brothers by that name, who came from England and settled in Ulster County many years before the revolutionary war, in which several of the descendants participated.
The family, generally, have been engaged in agricultural pursuits. Purdy Launsbury, of whom we write, was apprenticed when fourteen years of age to learn the tanner’s trade, serving an apprenticeship of seven years, which business he followed during his stay in his native state.
He was married about 1823 to Hester Towelleger. She was also a native of Ulster County, born in 1800. Her parents came to Ulster County before the revolution. In the spring of 1848 the family emigrated to Milwaukee and to Winnebago county, Wisconsin, where they engaged in farming. They remained here until November 1864, when they again pulled up stakes and moved to Mower county and settled in section 22, Waltham township.
Mr. and Mrs. Launsbury resided on this farm until their deaths-- Mr. Launsbury, November 29, 1880, and Mrs. Launsbury, July 8, 1882.
They had a family of twelve children, five of whom are now living, viz: George A. a resident of Berlin, Green Lake County, Wisconsin; Alfred of Waltham township, of whom mention is made elsewhere [pg 565]; James, of Waukesha County, Wisconsin; John of Dakota; Ophelia T., married and lives in Mankato, Minnesota.
Mr. and Mrs. Launsbury were members of M.E. church. Mr. Launsbury helped organize the township. He was a Democrat, and held the offices of justice of the peace and school district treasurer. He was well liked by his neighbors and friends.
“History of Mower County” 1884, pg 564
Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008
Alfred Launsbury [Lounsbury]
Alfred Launsbury [Lounsbury], second son of Purdy Launsbury, was born in Ulster County, New York, February 11, 1829, where he grew to manhood and received a common school education. He served an apprenticeship of three years in learning the currier’s and tanner’s trade, at Hudson, Columbia County, Wis., which he followed until 1848 when he came with his father’s family to Winnebago county, Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming.
He was married here March, 11, 1852 to Matilda Gifford. She was born in Canada, November 5, 1833. She is the daughter of Joshua and C. (Moore) Gifford, natives of Canada. They came to Washington County Wisconsin in 1840, where she lived until she was married. Mr. Launsbury removed to Berlin, Green Lake County, where he engaged with his brother George in the harness business, which he followed until the outbreak of the Rebellion.
He enlisted September 4, 1861 in the Third Wisconsin battery, serving until 1864 when he received the appointment of military storekeeper in quartermaster’s department, remaining until the close of the war, after which he returned to his home in Wisconsin, and with his family moved to Mower county and settled in section 22, Waltham Township, in 1865, in which township his father had settled in the year previous (1864), where he still resides.
Mr. and Mrs. Launsbury have had five children, viz.; George W. (deceased), Anna A., Ida B., Adda J., Ella A.
Mr. Launsbury is a staunch Republican and has held local offices.
The battery of which Mr. Launsbury was a member was with the army of Cumberland, and participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Mount Washington, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, at which they lost their battery and thirty-four men were killed and wounded. He was also present at the battles of Missionary Ridge, Kenesaw Mountain, and the taking of Atlanta. Mr. Launsbury received injuries while in the army, from the effects of which he draws a pension.
He is a member of Col. Henry Rogers Post No. 11, G.A.R. He is also a member of Lafayette Lodge, No. 16, A.F. & A.M. at Brownsdale.
“History of Mower County” 1884, pg 565-566
Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008
Ira B. Snyder
Ira Snyder came to Mower County in 1870, and settled on the southeast of section 28, land that he had bought in 1865. The land was improved at that time. He built a house and immediately commenced to break prairie. One hundred and forty acres of the land is now under cultivation. He occupied that place until the fall of 1882, when he bought the northeast quarter of the same section and moved there. He has purchased other land, and now owns 400 acres of land besides five acres of timber in the town of Austin.
Mr. Snyder was born in Orange County, New York, August 29, 1842. When he was five years of age his parents emigrated to Wisconsin and settled in the town of Centre, Rock County, where they were pioneers. His father bought land there which he occupied until 1856 when he sold and moved to Kansas, and settled on Red Vermilion River, one hundred miles west of Leavenworth City, then on the extreme frontier. His father located on a farm but the family was sick, and then the house burned, and they returned to Wisconsin after one year’s experience in Kansas. On his return to Wisconsin they settled in the town of Plymouth, Rock County. His father made his home there until the time of his death. His mother still remains there.
The subject of our sketch made his home with his parents till 1861 when he enlisted in the 13th Wisconsin, Company D, Volunteer Infantry. He veteranized in 1863, and served until the close of the war, when he was discharged with the regiment at St. Antonia, Texas, in December 1865. He participated in many battles and skirmishes. After his discharge he returned to Rock County and engaged in farming. In 1867 he went to York State and spent one year in New York City, then he returned to Rock County and remained until 1870 when he came to Mower County.
Mr. Snyder has been married twice. His first wife to whom he was married March 4, 1869, was Sarah J. Brown. She was born in Kent County, Canada, October 22, 1842. She died February 16, 1877. His second wife he married December 19, 1877. She was Cena C. Syck, born in Denmark, April 18, 1858. His first wife left four children- Howard F., Ora B., Durward B., Harry B. By his second wife he has two children, Spencer G., and Fay L. M
Mr. Snyder has filled offices of trust in that town.
History of Mower County 1884 pg 583-584
Transcribed by K. Pike January 2008
[NOTE: Ira Snyder died March 29, 1919 at Austin, Mower Co. Minnesota and is buried at Oakwood Cemetery]
Oscar Albin Anderson
Oscar Anderson was born to Oscar Anderson and Alma B. Peterson (later Alma Olson). He had one brother, Melvin A. Anderson, who died in 1962 in Austin.
Oscar graduated from Austin High School in 1936 were he was an outstanding athlete. As a sophomore, he played varsity end on an unbeaten Austin High School football team. As a junior, he was a starting guard on Austin's first state championship basketball team. After graduation, Oscar attended the University of Minnesota for two years and then enlisted in the Army. He was stationed at Hickam Field in Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 and survived the sneak attack, but rarely talked about that experience even to his wife.
On October 4, 1947, he married Dorothy Mae Johnson in Austin at St. Olaf Lutheran Church. They had no children, but he was a good uncle to the children of Evelyn Pike, sister of Dorothy.
Oscar was an avid golfer and bowler in his free time, as well as a pipe smoker. He worked most of his adult life for Weyerhaeuser in Austin and retired from there in the mid-1970s.
Oscar died of a heart attack at St. Olaf Hospital in Austin. He was survived by his wife, Dorothy, who as of 2008 continues going strong and lives in Austin.
Written by David Pike
Herbert Charles McAlister
Herbert Charles McAlister was born October 30, 1931 in Stewartville, Olmsted County, Minnesota to Rufus William "Bill", and Anne Josephine "Jo" (Smothers) McAlister.
At a young age he moved with his parents to Austin Minnesota and it was here that he spent his childhood. Herb grew up on the eastside of Austin, also known as "Dutchtown", near Eastside Lake.
In 1939 when Herb was 7 ½ years old he was blessed with a baby brother named Robert, or "Bob" as he was usually called. In 1946, another seven years later when Herb was 14, baby brother Lyndon joined the household.
Around the age of 15 Herb left school and set out on his own.
In about 1949 he joined the United States Navy and went to Great Lakes,
After their marriage Herb was stationed at Norfolk Naval Base in Virginia. Phyllis joined him in Virginia but after awhile she became homesick and went back to Iowa to stay with her parents until Herb’s enlistment was up.
When Herb returned, they went to Austin and moved into the small rental house owned by Herb’s parents, which was located just next-door. Here Herb and Phyllis had their first child, William Earl.
They then bought a house on 8th St. NE in Austin and within a couple of years their family was growing. Kim, Jack, Kris and Kathy soon joined the household.
Herb was very much a family man but he was also very active with hunting, fishing and sports such as golfing, bowling and hockey. He was a member of the Ramsey Golf Course Men’s Club and had on at least two occasions shot a hole-in-one.
Herb also worked long hours at the Hormel plant, mostly working the 3:00 pm-11:00 pm shift.
He had many friends and acquaintances and enjoyed yearly trips to Mexico with his closest buddies; Roger Dixon, Bruce Hastings, and Charley Edwards.
He enjoyed going out and dancing with Phyllis at Lefty’s Bar and liked spending time with his friends at the various clubs he belonged to such as the American Legion, V.F.W., The Moose, and The Eagles.
Herb loved music of all kinds but he especially like old country music. Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins and Hank Snow could often be heard crooning throughout the McAlister home. Herb also liked to play his guitar and sing, and he also enjoyed playing the harmonica.
In the early 1970’s Herb became involved with the project to build Riverside Arena in Austin. The McAlister family had become very much a "hockey family" and Herb put his full support behind having an indoor hockey arena. At one time Herb played hockey for the Austin Arrows and was also a sanctioned referee.
In 1975 Herb and Phyllis took in a young Junior League hockey player named
In mid January 1977 Herb came down with what he thought was a chest cold. When he continued to feel worse, more tests were ordered and it was discovered that Herb in fact had a rare form of cancer called "Mesothelioma".
The National Cancer Institute states that: "Malignant Mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer, is a disease in which cancer (malignant) cells are found in the sac lining the chest (the pleura), the lining of the abdominal cavity (the peritoneum) or the lining around the heart (the pericardium). Most people with malignant Mesothelioma have worked on jobs where they breathed asbestos."
Herb worked for Hormel Company for approximately 20 years and during that time was often welding and wearing an asbestos suit. The type of Mesothelioma Herb had affected the lining of his lungs but was not technically considered lung cancer. Herb spent many long days at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota receiving radiation and chemotherapy treatments but to no avail. After only 4 ½ months Herb succumbed to cancer and died June 1, 1977 at St. Olaf Hospital in Austin. He was 45 years old.
Phyllis later recounted that a director from Mayer Funeral Home told her they had rarely seen a funeral as large as his. Herb knew everyone from bikers to lawyers and they all showed up to pay their respects.
Phyllis was also surprised while opening the funeral cards to find various sums of money. Unbeknownst to Phyllis, Herb had helped many people through the years and had often borrowed them money. When he passed away these people wanted to repay their debt and many of them wrote personal notes expressing their gratitude for Herb’s kindness.
Herb was buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Austin. He left a legacy of five children and 11 grandchildren.
Written by daughter Kathy (McAlister) Pike -- January 2008
Lars Hansen was born in Denmark in 1857 and was schooled in the King's university where he made a thorough study of the hoof and foot of a horse and then to work with his father, who was a blacksmith.
Lars immigrated to America in 1883 directly to Austin, MN, following his brother, Gorm, who preceded him by a couple years. In 1888, Lars opened his own blacksmith shop and operated it for the remainder of his life. He was recognized as an expert in his trade and soon nearly every blacksmith in the Austin area was a graduate of his shop.
On April 8, 1888, Lars married Nina Johnson in Minneapolis and to this union came six children. They were Hans P., Henry A., Oscar W., Dena, Elmer, and Walter.
In 1889, Lars bought an acre and a half of land on the east side of South Kenwood where in 1897 they erected a beautiful modern residence. All the time he spared from his shop was devoted to his home and surroundings. Lars was a most successful raiser of small fruit and his bushes were loaded with the most luscious of berries. His neighbors were often the recipients of his bounty. He was equally successful with vegetables and was one of the first to garner a garden truck.
Few if any man following a trade in the city had so wide an acquaintanceship and so many friends. Lars was a man of splendid character and honesty in his dealings. He was a Republican, a member of St. Olaf Lutheran Church, and a charter member of the Danish Brotherhood of Austin.
Lars was considered in good health and full enjoyment of life at age 64 when he died tragically about 3pm on the afternoon of March 18, 1921 in a fall from a tree he was trimming in front of his home. He was removing large limbs before falling the tree when the one he just cut through knocked him out of the tree to the ground which killed him instantly. He was carried to the house and Dr. McKenna was called who pronounced the cause of death as a broken neck.
Pvt. Knud Gullickson
Birth: Dec., 1828
Born December 4 or 30, 1828, at Evanger, Voss, Kingdom of Norway. Died December 25, 1916, at Village of Lyle, Mower County, State of Minnesota.
He was married on November 21, 1883, to Mary S. Sheldy Olsen.
Knud Gullickson was enlisted in Company K of the 15th Wisconsin by 2nd Lieutenant Olaus Solberg in Mitchell County, Iowa, on January 28, 1862, for a 3 year term of service. Knud was mustered into Federal service at the rank of "private," on February 11, 1862, at Camp Randall, near the City of Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin. He was listed by the army as being a 33 year old married resident of Mitchell County, Iowa.
On June 11, 1862, Private Gullickson departed Island No. 10 by steamboat along with his company and regiment to go on summer campaign through Tennessee and the States of Mississippi and Alabama. However, starting June 20, 1862, he was listed as being "Sick in the hospital" at Union City, Tennessee.
It is believed that he caught up with the 15th after it left Union City and marched south to Jacinto, Mississippi. On July 27, 1862, Private Gullickson was transferred from Jacinto to the General Hospital in the Town of Farmington, near Corinth, Mississippi, where he was admitted suffering from "Phthisis Pulmonalis" [tuberculous]. On July 30, 1862, he was transferred north to Camp Dennison, near the City of Cinncinati, State of Ohio, where he was admitted to the General Hospital on August 5, 1862. Despite nearly 6 months spent recuperating in Army hospitals,
Private Gullickson had been unable to recover his health. As a result the Army gave him an honorable discharge due to "disability" on December 9, 1862, at Camp Dennison.
Gordon C. Adams
Gordon C. Adams, of Austin, now deceased, former farmer and business man, was born in the town of Orwell, Vt., in 1823, and removed with his parents to Benson, Ruthland county, where he was engaged in farming and school teaching. In 1850 he went to Brooklyn, N. Y., and engaged in the retail lumber trade, remaining several years, after which he was engaged with the New York & Brooklyn Sawmill and Lumber Company for ten years, being superintendent and treasurer of the company seven years of that time.
For the succeeding fourteen years he was with the South Brooklyn Sawmill Company, being superintendent, secretary and treasurer nearly that entire time. During this time Mr. Adams visited Mower county, and was so pleased with the vicinity that in 1879 he purchased a farm of 160 acres from S. G. Woodard. Mr. Adams expended a considerable amount of money in improving his place and his barns, and his equipment and facilities for handling and housing crops and live stock was among the best in the township. In his latter years Mr. Adams gave up farming, and for a time engaged in the fuel business in Austin.
He died in Austin, February 17, 1901. G. C. Adams married for his first wife Harriet M. Watson. They were married in Vermont, and she died in the city of Brooklyn, leaving no children. His second wife was Ella M. Squires, also of Vermont, who died nine years after her marriage, leaving two children, Hattie M., who died at the age of 29, and Alfred, who died at the age of three. Subsequently Mr. Adams married Mattie Allen, born in Whitehall, Ill., daughter of Jesse and Mary B. Allen. Her early life was spent in Illinois, and she was married to Gordon C. Adams, at the age of 37 years.
Mrs. Adams has four brothers living in Illinois: Henry F., William A., Lewis and Albert. Two are dead: Jesse L. and Jonathan. Henry F. married Mrs. Sarah Pankey and they have two children: Mattie and Jesse. William A. married Anna Corn, and their children are Leda, Kenneth and William. Lewis married Lillian Peet, and they have four children: Bertha, now Mrs. Burns; Ethel; Mabel, now Mrs. Fred Ford, and Lura.
Albert married Mattie Stublefield, and they have one child, Edith, now Mrs. Clarence Grimmett. Jesse L. left three children: Minnie, now Mrs. Cyrus Curtis; Mary, widow of William Reily, and Frank Q., who is married and has several children. Jonathan married Etta King and had three children, Stella, who died at the age of 28 years, and Herman and Roscoe. The two latter are prosperous young men, the former being 30 years of age and the latter 21. These young men are engaged in the lumber business in Wisconsin.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.
Rev. Christian A. Affeldt
Rev. Christian A. Affeldt is pastor of three German Evangelical churches in Mower county and is doing a noble work. Well fitted for his work by natural abilities and by acquired training, he has already seen much fruit of his ten years' service in Mower county. Rev. Affeldt was born near Wykoff, Fillmore county, December 15, 1876, son of Julius and Wilhelmina (Kolberg) Affeldt.
Julius Affeldt was born in Greifenhagen, Pomerania, Germany, came to America in 1865, and located near Watertown, Wisconsin, a short time, afterward taking up his residence near Portage until the spring of 1875, when he came to Minnesota, purchased a farm in Fillmore township, Fillmore county, and there carried on agricultural operations until his death, October 16, 1902.
His mother is still alive. Christian A. attended the district schools in his native county, and then went to the parochial school of his at Wykoff. In the fall of 1892 he entered the Concordia Seminary at Springfield, Illinois, from which he graduated in June, 1899. After serving a short time at Litchfield, Custer county, Nebraska, he came to Mower county and took charge of the Evangelical Lutheran Trinity church, located in section 29, Waltham township.
In connection with this church a parochial school is conducted, where, in addition to the usual branches, German is taught and religious instruction given. In addition to this, Rev. Affeldt also has charge of the St. John's Evangelical Lutheran church in Austin and the St. John German Evangelical Lutheran church in Sargeant. The subject of this sketch was married, May 17, 1900, to Martha Asche, daughter of Werner and Caroline (Brennicke) Asche, and their children are: Paulus, Phoebe, Erna, Edna, Timothy, Flora, Theodora and Arnold.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.
Torkal Olson Aldal
Torkal Olson Aldal, who farms a fine place of 180 acres in Udolpho, was born in Voss, Norway, June 4, 1844, and was twenty-one years of age when he came to America, locating in Dane county, and remaining two years. Then he took up his residence on his present place in Udolpho township.
He has greatly improved the farm, erected a comfortable house and commodious barns, and has purchased some modern machinery which greatly facilitates his agricultural operations. Mr. Olson Aldal is a hard working man, and a thorough believer in education, having served twenty years on the school board.
He was married November 15, 1872, to Julia Kanutson, of Wisconsin, and to this union have been born nine children, of whom four, John, Bennie, Susie and Maribo, are living. Susie, the oldest daughter, is the wife of H. H. Scagan, of Austin.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.
Arthur West Allen, M.D.
Arthur West Allen, M. D., one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Mower county, was born in Austin in 1862, son of Austin's first physician, Orlenzer Allen, M. D., and Esther Almeda Allen, his wife, who settled in Austin in May, 1856, and whose good deeds will ever be remembered in this county. Dr. A. W. Allen was reared in Austin and graduated from the Rush Medical College, Chicago, in the class of 1885. Since then he has been in continuous practice in Austin.
He is a member of the American, Minnesota and Mower County Medical Associations, and in the latter has held various offices. He also belongs to the American Railway Surgeons, and to the Elks, Masons and other fraternal bodies. He is the surgeon of the Southern Minnesota and Iowa and Minnesota divisions of the C., M. & St. Paul Ry., and also of St. Olav Hospital. For nine years he was surgeon major of the Second Regiment, Minnesota National Guards. For the past two years he has been president of the Austin Commercial Club.
Dr. Allen is a man who will not accept the praise offered him, but his true worth is written in the hearts of the people to whom he has ministered. He is a good citizen, and a skilled practitioner. His wife, Nellie C., to whom he was married in 1905, is also a native of Austin.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.
G. H. Allen, retired merchant and railroad civil engineer, now living in Austin, was born in Greenfield, Saratoga county, New York, October 12, 1834. There he received his education and grew to manhood. He was reared on a farm and in his early life learned civil engineering, a profession he followed thereafter for several years.
At twenty-two years of age, in 1853, he went to Freeport, Illinois, and worked on the railroad from Freeport to Savanna, surveying the roadbed. From there he went to McGregor, Iowa, on the C., M. & St. P. He then returned to New York state and worked on the Albany & Susquehanna, later on the Middleburg and Schoharie. After this he worked on the Oswego (New York) Midland, then on the Rockford, Rock Island & St. Louis. His last railroad surveying was on the C., M. & St. P. from Dubuque to LaCrosse.
In 1874 he came to Mower county, locating in Grand Meadow, and together with his brother, George W., engaged in the general mercantile business. This they conducted for about five years. That same year he was made county surveyor, and held the office continuously until 1893, and again in 1897. He also owned and conducted a 200-acre farm in Grand Meadow township until coming to Austin in 1900. At that time he purchased some land on College street and built his pleasant home, where he has since lived in retirement, except for two years that he served the city of Austin as city engineer. He still owns eighty acres of his farm in Grand Meadow township, which he rents.
Mr. Allen married Mary A. Specht, daughter of John W. Specht, who was a farmer by occupation, and who built the first frame house in Dubuque, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have one daughter, Jessie, who is the wife of Dr. Homer F. Peirson. Dr. and Mrs. Peirson have two children, Helen and Marion.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.
Orlenzer Allen was born in Allegany county, New York, March 17, 1826, and was the twin brother of Judge Ormanzo Allen. He pursued his studies in the university at Alfred Centre.
In 1842 his parents came to Wisconsin and he continued his studies in Milton College. He then studied medicine with Dr. Rider, of Milton, and afterward graduated in Rush Medical College, Chicago, with honors. He also took a post graduate course for physicians and surgeons, in New York city. In 1847 he united his fortunes with those of Almeda Coon, an educated woman and successful teacher. He commenced to practice in Milton, but came to Austin in 1856, he being the first physician to settle here. After fourteen years' practice in Austin he went back to Milton, where he died in 1883. While here he filled many political offices in county and city.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.
Henry A. Ames
Henry A. Ames was born in Red Rock township, December 7, 1858, and has spent the larger part of his adult years in Austin, being employed for some years with Alonzo Decker in the coal business. He is now with J. F. Fairbanks.
Mr. Ames married Barbara Sachse, and there are six children in the family: Bertha, Ettie, Esther, Grace, Caroline and Donald D. Bertha is the wife of William Lambert and has one daughter, Ruth.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.
Ezra D. Ames
Ezra D. Ames, an early pioneer settler of Mower county, was born in LeRoy, Geneseo county, New York, May 15, 1826. His father was a native of Massachusetts and a millwright by trade.
When five years of age Ezra D. went with his parents to Venango county, New York, for two years. They then removed to Pennsylvania, spending eight years in Mercer and Beaver counties, thence to DeKalb county, Indiana. At sixteen years of age Ezra began work with his father; one year later his father died, and he continued working with his brothers two years. He then engaged on the Wabash canal, and followed boating until 1854, when he took up farming in DeKalb county, Indiana. In 1855 he removed to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he remained until March of the following year, when he hired a team to convey his family and household goods to Mower county, Minnesota, first living in an empty shanty which they occupied for a few weeks, in the meantime preempting land in section 21, in Lyle township, and building a log house. The same fall they moved on section 19, where a fine frame house was soon erected. Mr. Ames broke and developed the land, and set out an abundance of fruit trees, as well as planting a fine grove.
In 1883 he had 250 apple trees all bearing fruit, it being at that time the finest and largest orchard in Mower county. He lived on his farm until 1893, at that time renting out his farm, since which time he has lived with his children, now living with his son, W. D. Ames. His wife died June 7, 1893. He was married June 13, 1852, to. Mary Loomis, daughter of Samuel and Christina (Swarts) Loomis. She was born in Wayne county, Ohio, May 19, 1836. They had four children: Emma, wife of A. A. Smith, now of Austin, died September 13, 1885; Ida, wife of John Summers, of Sioux Falls, S. D.; Hattie, now Mrs. William Jackman, of Nebraska; William D., of Lyle township.
HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911.