Mower County, Minnesota

Group File 01


Stephen N. Frisbie


STEPHEN N. FRISBIE [1824-1902], one of the pioneers of this place, was born in Guilford, New Haven county, Connecticut. His mother, Miss Amada Scranton, was a descendant of John Scranton, who came with twenty-five other families from England, and settled in the latter town in 1639. His father was a sea faring man; and when Stephen was ten years of age he went to live with his uncle on a farm, with whom he remained until twenty-one, then removed to Genesee, Waukesha county, Wisconsin.

On the 30th of August, 1848, he was married to Miss Theresa M. Castle [1829-1875], formerly of Colesville, New York, and the issue of the union was five children—three sons and two daughters. In 1850, they moved to Beaver Dam, Dodge county, and resided there until 1853, thence to Leeds, Columbia county.

In June, 1856, he and his family started with ox teams, and on the 23d of July, arrived in this township and staked out the claim upon which he now lives.

Mr. Frisbie enjoys the esteem and confidence of his townsmen in a large degree, having been repeatedly elected to fill offices of trust and honor. In 1857, he was appointed one of the commissioners to organize Freeborn county, and that fall, at the first general election, was made one of the County Commissioners, and again in 1877 elected to the same office. He has been Chairman of the board of Supervisors, Assessor, Town Treasurer, and Justice of the Peace, in which latter capacity he now officiates. In 1878 he was honored with a seat in the House of Representatives.

Although his business has been farming, he has engaged to some extent in other occupations; from the fall of 1869 till 1875 he handled grain, first for Bassett, Hunting & Co., and afterwards for other parties; subsequently kept a lumber yard on his own account.

In religious views he is a Congregationalist, and when the Union Sabbath School was organized in this place he was appointed its Superintendent. A Congregational church was organized here in 1859, of which he was a member; but meetings in it have since been discontinued, and he joined the church at Austin.

He is a staunch Republican, and has always been a zealous advocate of its principles. He was appointed Postmaster in 1858, the office being kept at his house until August, 1877, when it was removed to the railroad station, and its name changed to Oakland.

Mr. Frisbie's first wife died on the 25th of June, 1875, after a long and painful illness, and he married his present wife on the 9th of August, 1877. She was formerly Miss Sophie A. Little [1835-1935], of Oberlin, Ohio.

"History of Freeborn County", 1882
Moscow Twp. Biographies



Nathan S. Hardy

d: 1888

NATHAN S. HARDY, one of the old settlers of Moscow, was born in Essex county, New York, on the 10th of January, 1833. After teaching school for a time in his native State in the spring of 1854. he moved to Illinois, engaged in farming during the summer and in the fall clerked in the store of L. S. Felt, in Galena. In the autumn of 1855. he returned to New York, and in the spring of '56, again started west, locating in this township the 1st of July.

He was married on the 10th of August, 1859, to Annette [1837-1898], a daughter of William Pace, and the union has resulted in four children; Lavina S., Ada F., Louis E., and Milton J.

[Died Sept 9, 1888]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882
Moscow Twp. Biographies



William Pace

b: 1803

WILLIAM PACE, deceased, one of the oldest settlers of this place, was born in Sussex county, England, on the 10th of March, 1803. He learned the miller trade in his native place; emigrated to America and for years worked at his trade in New York.

He was married in 1831, to Miss Amelia Ridge and they had two children, one of whom is living, a son. Mrs. Pace died in 1834; and in 1836, Mr. Pace married Miss Lavina Castle. In 1842, they came to Waukesha county, Wisconsin, and after a residence of nine years moved to Dodge county.

In 1856 Mr. Pace became a pioneer of this county, taking a claim in section thirty-four, Moscow, which was his home until his death which occurred on the 6th of September, 1882. He left a widow and five grown children. He was a member of the Congregational church at Austin; was a good citizen and neighbor and respected by all who knew him.

"History of Freeborn County", 1882
Moscow Twp. Biographies



Philo Pace


PHILO PACE [1843-1899], a native of Genesee county, New York, was born on the 2d of August, 1843. When he was thirteen years old his parents moved to this place, which Philo has ever since made his home.

In 1863, he was engaged in selling farm machinery, afterward in carpentering and now divides his time between mercantile and farming pursuits.

He was joined in marriage in 1874, with Miss Mary Scullin [1850-1918] and they have four children; Clara Nellie, Hattie Lou, Genevieve, and Ivy B.

"History of Freeborn County", 1882
Moscow Twp. Biographies



Michael McCourt

b: 1830

"History of Freeborn County", 1882
Moscow Twp. Biographies

MICHAEL McCOURT, one of the early settlers of Mower county, was born in county Down, Ireland. in October, 1830. In 1847, he came to America and settled in Rochester, New York, where he was employed in agricultural pursuits eight years.

He married, in 1855, Miss Ellen White, and they spent a short time in Canada, then came to Clinton county, Iowa, and the following spring to Minnesota, locating in Nevada, Mower county. He lived there until 1868, when he sold and came to this place which has since been his home.

Mr. McCourt is the largest individual landholder in the place. In the spring of 1881, his stable was burned with six head of horses, a colt, all the harnesses, and considerable farm machinery. He has a family of six children: John, Michael, Thomas, Stephen, Mary, and Daniel.



Thomas Bonnallie


[Buried in Mower County or otherwise have strong connections to Mower County]

THOMAS BONNALLIE [1819-1900], one of the early settlers of this place, is a native of Scotland, born on the 5th of April, 1819, His parents came to America when he was an infant, and located in Canada. He remained with an uncle in Scotland until four years old, then joined his parents in Canada.

In 1851 he was united in marriage with Miss Charlotte Philips [Phelps] and two years later they came to Wisconsin. Since 1856 Mr. Bonnallie has been a resident of this place. His first wife died, and in 1873, he married his present, Mrs. Janette Campbell, a native of Philadelphia, Penn. The issue of this union is seven children.

[Buried at Oakwood Cemetery, Austin]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. Biographies



James H. Goslee


JAMES H. GOSLEE [1831-1919], one of the old and respected citizens of this section of the country, is a native of Connecticut, born in Hartford county, on the 31st of January, 1831. The early part of his life was spent in farming and learning the carpenter trade, and in 1857, he came to this township. His farm now contains over seven hundred acres and is well improved, he devoting his time principally to stock raising.

In 1860 he was united in wedlock to Miss Zillah T. Beach [1838-1891], a native of New York. They have had two children; Henry A., born on the 2d of July. 1861: and Dwight W., born on the 8th of April, 1866. The latter died on the 12th of January, 1882.

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. Biographies

[Buried at Woodbury Cemetery, Mower County]



William Nichols Goslee


WILLIAM N. GOSLEE [1826-1904], another pioneer of London township, was born in Hartford county, Connecticut, on the 12th of May, 1826. He was married before leaving his native State, in 1850, to Miss Sarah E. Ellis [1827-1862]. They came west in 1855 and located in Iowa, but the following year came to this place, staking out a farm in section thirteen where he has since made his home. Mrs. Goslee died in 1862.

His present wife was formerly Mary A. Cheadle [1847-1891], a native of Indiana, and they have two children. Mr. Goslee owns a fine farm, and since his residence here has served the town and county in different capacities.

[William Nichols Goslee: Civil War Vet- 46th Regiment, Indiana Infantry. He and his wives are buried at Woodbury Cemetery, Mower County]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. Biographies



Roger P. Gibson


ROGER P. GIBSON [1817-1883] was born in Connecticut on the 17th of August, 1817. He grew to manhood on a farm and in 1840, married Miss Colista Goslee, who died three years later. Some years after he was again married to a Connecticut lady, who came west with him to Iowa in 1855, and to this township the following year. Death again entered his home in 1861, and took away his partner in life [Sarah], whose remains rest in the cemetery at this place.

In 1863, he was wedded to Miss Emma M. Bolton [1845-1885], who was born in Ohio. This union has been blessed with six children. Mr. Gibson's farm has the appearance of a careful and experienced manager. He is one of the pioneers here and has filled offices of trust in the town.

[Buried at Woodbury Cemetery, Mower County]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. Biographies



James H. Stewart


JAMES H. STEWART [1832-1913], one of the early settlers of London township, is a native of New York, born on the 19th of August, 1832. In 1853 he came to Wisconsin, where he married, in 1856, Miss Clarissa H. Hubbard [1837-1889], a native of Vermont. The same year they moved to Illinois, and a year later came to this place, taking land in section twenty-four, which is now a well cultivated farm.

Mr. Stewart has filled offices of trust since coming here. He is the father of three children.

[Buried at Woodbury Cemetery, Mower County]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. Biographies



James Van Winkle

b: 1925

JAMES VAN WINKLE, deceased, was born in Illinois on the 9th of September, 1825. He was married in 1853 to Miss Nancy Sutherland [1834-1900], also a native of Illinois. They came to Minnesota in 1858, but only remained a year and a half, and returned to their native State.

In 1861 they came again to this State and bought a farm in London, where Mr. Van Winkle died on the 4th of February, 1876. He left a widow and six children to mourn his loss.

[Buried at Cedar City Cemetery, Mower County]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. Biographies



John Robertson

b: 1836

JOHN ROBERTSON [1836-1915] was born near Glasgow, Scotland, on the 15th of May, 1836. He came with his parents to America in 1844, and resided for some time in Rock county, Wisconsin. In 1858 he married Miss Margaret Campbell [1836-1909], also a native of Scotland.

They came to Minnesota in 1866, and settled in section twelve of this township, which has since been their home, the farm containing three hundred and twenty acres. Mr. and Mrs. Robertson have a family of three children.

[Buried at Oakwood Cemetery, Austin]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. Biographies



Henry Lang


HENRY LANG [1840-1919], a native of Scotland, was born on the 10th of January, 1842. He came with his parents to America when an infant, first settled in New York City and afterward lived in Missouri. After a residence of five years in the latter place the family came to Wisconsin and in 1862 to this township.

Henry was joined in matrimony to Miss Jane Meadowcroft [1848-1902], also a native of Scotland. They have a family of seven children. Mr. Lang owns a well improved farm of two hundred and forty acres.

[NOTE: Headstone at Oakwood Cemetery in Austin gives the birth year as 1840]

"History of Freeborn County", 1882
London Twp. Biographies



Charles Lamb

b: 1831

Charles Lamb, the son of William and Caroline (Bidwell) Lamb was born December 11, 1831 in the town of Wells, Rutlund County, Vermont. His father was a native of Vermont, his mother of Connecticut. His father was an industrious, hard working man. He had a small farm and was a boot and shoe maker, a trade which he worked at a great portion of his life.

Charles received a common school education, and remained at home engaged in farming until the fall of 1856 when he came to Mower County and pre-empted 160 acres of land in section 11, Bennington Township.

He was married May 11, 1858 to Matilda Glover, a native of New York. They have had eight children, Ida, Nathan F., William J., Lucius C., Emily, Edith, Ralph I., and Alice, two of whom are dead, Lucius C. and Edith.

Mr. Lamb is farming over 400 acres of land, all of which is under a high state of cultivation. In 1879 Mr. Lamb a few head of purely bred short-horn cattle, and has since been engaged in breeding short horns, which has done much towards improving the quality of the cattle in his neighborhood and vicinity. He now has a herd of splendid cattle, of which he is very proud. He still aims to improve his stock. He is a Democrat and a prominent man in the town.

“History of Mower County” 1884
Transcribed by K. Pike January 2008



Dr. Samuel Payne Thornhill


Dr. Thornhill came to Austin in 1869 and remained until the time of his death in 1879.

He was by nature a keen man, possessing much ability, but he was his own worst enemy, for he allowed strong drink to ruin his manhood and hasten him to the grave.

The following obituary notice, which was written by Mrs. Ellen Fairbanks, who was a student under him, and at whose house he made it her home, appeared in the Register of March 13, 1879;

“Dr. Samuel Payne Thornhill, whose remains we have so recently buried amid the evergreens of our beautiful cemetery of Oakwood, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, on March 21, 1821. Left an orphan when a very small child, he was cared for by relatives a few years, and quite early in life thrown upon his own resources for his support and education. He studied his profession in West Carlisle, Ohio; commenced there with his preceptor and married there. His three children from that marriage were all well known to the people of Austin.

While his children were quite young, he removed to Horicon, Wisconsin and from there to Watertown. There he married again. Two children were the fruit of this marriage. From Watertown he went to Janesville, in 1848, and became a partner of Dr. Treat, afterward quite an eminent physician of Chicago. In 1855 he removed to Hudson, Wisconsin and there practiced seven years.

When the Rebellion broke out; he was made Regimental Surgeon of the 8th Wisconsin Volunteers-the eagle regiment, under Col. Murphy. In 1862 he was promoted to brigade surgeon. He came to Austin in the winter of 1869-70. Since that time he has been known to you, as an energetic, untiring, skillful physician, loved and honored by those who knew him best. If he had faults he also had virtues. To his friends he was generous, kind, and true. A tender father to his children, and second to none in his professional acquirements. His loss to us is a public calamity.

He died quite suddenly, having walked home from the other side of the river about two o’clock.

Between four and five, was taken with hemorrhage of the stomach, which no remedy seemed potent to arrest. It continued increasing in violence, taking his life-blood and strength, until 9 o’clock Sunday morning when, without pain, he ceased to breathe.”

“History of Mower County” 1884
Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008



Dr. Ellen Fairbanks


Dr. Ellen M. (Backus) Fairbanks [1834-1885] graduated from the Woman's Medical College, Chicago, in the class of 1881. She had directed her attention to the study of medicine a number of years previous to attending lectures in Chicago, and for one year preceding that time was under the immediate instruction of Dr. Samuel P. Thornhill.

Doctor Fairbanks combines a thorough medical and surgical education, with a natural adeptness to the profession. And her professional career has established the fact that women in the school of medicine may successfully compete with the opposite sex.

She was born in the town of Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont in 1834. Her maiden name was Ellen M. Backus. She was married in Vermont to Alonso Fairbanks. They removed from Vermont to La Salle County, Illinois in 1853, and came to Austin from Otranto, Mitchell County, Iowa, in 1859.

“History of Mower County” 1884
Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008



William Harper

b: 1822

William Harper was born in the north of Ireland, January 22, 1822. His parents left Ireland April 6th, 1838, landing in Quebec, Canada. From there moved to York State. In 1856 William came to Mower County. He is now the owner of 220 acres of fine land, mostly under cultivation. His parent’s names were Hugh and Nancy (Wilson) Harper. The father is 97 years old and lives in the state of New York.

William Harper has been married twice. His first wife, Desdemona Mitchell, he married in 1848. She died in 1858, and left five children; Charles H., Robert W., Albert E., Sarah Jane, and Edwin M. Harper, all living but one.

In 1860 he married Anna Hargrave. They have two children, William A., and James L. Harper.

Mr. Harper received a liberal education and is a citizen of the social class. He is a Republican in sentiment.

“History of Mower County” 1884
Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008



Rev. P.G. Ostby

b: 1836

REV. P. G. OSTBY was born in Trysil, Norway, on the 12th of August, 1836. He received a good education and at the age of twenty commenced teaching school, and after two years entered a high school, similar to our Normal schools, where he remained two years, then returned to teaching.

In 1868, he came to America and attended the College at Paxton, Illinois, and afterward at Marshall, Wisconsin, where he passed a theological course and was ordained as a Lutheran minister. He was Chaplain for C. L. Clauson at St Ansgar, Iowa, for one year, then moved to Austin, Minnesota, and was pastor of the Norwegian Lutheran church there for seven years.

In 1871, he married Miss Garo B. Thornby, and they have a family of five boys; Johannas G., Bernhard I., Paul I. D., Selmar O., and James O. C. In 1878, Mr. Ostby came to Mansfield as pastor of the Lutheran Church of this place, and through his energy and benevolence it is now in a prosperous condition.

Source: Freeborn County American History and Genealogy Project



Oscar N. Olberg


OSCAR N. OLBERG was born in Christiania, Norway, on the 13th of November, 1848. He attended the Christiania University, and graduated in 1868. The same year he came to America, and, in 1869, to Madison, Wisconsin. In the fall of 1870, he moved to Minnesota, and was engaged in a foreign ticket office, located in Austin, Mower county; also was cashier of the Mower County Bank for several years.

In the fall of 1873, he opened a general mercantile store in Adams, Mower county, and two years later built and carried on a double store in Taopi, in the same county.

He was married in 1876, to Miss Henrietta Dahl, a native of Waupun, Wisconsin. They have one child, Clara Mable, born on the 7th of November, 1878. In 1881, Mr. Olberg was connected with a wholesale notion house in Chicago, from which place he moved to Albert Lea on the 1st of October, 1882.

At present he owns three mercantile stores, located, one in Albert Lea, one in Taopi, and one at Forest City, Iowa, the one here having been started in 1881. He is also still in the foreign ticket business, being general agent for the "Monarch" line of steamers.

Source: Freeborn County American History and Geneaolgy Project



William N. Goslee

William N. Goslee, a native of Connecticut, who had stopped for a time in Iowa, came from the latter place with an ox team, and in May, 1856, secured the place he now occupies in section thirteen. Timothy F. Goslee came about the same time; but located just over the line in Mower county.

In the spring of 1857 James H. Goslee left his home in Connecticut and pushed toward the setting sun, coming as far as Dubuque by rail, from there taking the stage route to St. Paul, where he was engaged for a couple of weeks, and then came on as far as West Union with a man who had horses for sale.

The snow was very deep and he was delayed for several days; but finally found a man who was on a milling trip from Chickasaw county, Iowa, and with him rode to the latter place. Here he was detained for three days by a severe blizzard, and was finally carried on to Otranto, Iowa, from whence he walked to his brother's place in Lyle, Mower county, who is mentioned above as having settled there the year previous. Being favorably impressed by the country, bought a place in sections twelve and thirteen in this township, of Sylvester West, which he still occupies.

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

London Twp. History



G.H. Kenerson

b: 1841

G. H. Kenerson was born in New Hampshire in 1841, and lived in his native State, attending school until seven years old. He then removed with his parents to Troy, New York, and six years after to Galesville, Washington county, in both of which places he attended school.

In 1859, he came to Fall River, Columbia county. Wisconsin, and completed his education. In the fall of 1860 he removed to Mower county. Minnesota, and followed farming until 1875, then engaged in the grain business, buying and shipping.

He was married on the 1st of January, 1868, to Martha Williams. She was born in Branch county, Michigan, and when fourteen years of age removed with her parents to Mower county, where she was married. Mr. and Mrs. Kenerson have had five children, of whom three are living: Era A., aged thirteen years, Roy and Ray, twins, aged seven years, Jessie died in infancy, and Daniel at the age of two years and five months.

Mr. Kenerson's mother died in Troy, New York, at the age of thirty, and his father in Rochester, in this State, in 1878, when seventy-five vears old. Mrs Kenerson's parents reside in Dexter, Mower county, and she is the eldest of their ten children. Mr. Kenerson came to Armstrong in the fall of 1881, and is engaged in the grain business, and also owns a grocery store. He was appointed Postmaster in June. 1882.

"History of Freeborn County", 1882

Pickerel Lake Twp. Biographies



David A. Pierce

b: 1830

DAVID A. PIERCE was born in Maine on the 2nd of October, 1830. His father was a farmer and David lived at home until the age of twenty-one years. He was married in 1858, to Miss Amanda M. Bailey, and the following year moved to Mower county, Minnesota. Five years later they removed to Spring Valley, and in March, 1862,

Mr. Pierce enlisted in Company E, of the Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served two years and ten months. After his discharge he returned to Spring Valley and removed his family to Bath, locating in section eighteen, where he has a good home with commodious buildings. His two oldest daughters are school teachers in this county and he has a son editing a Marshall county paper.

"History of Freeborn County", 1882
Bath Twp. Biographies



Pike Transportation Service


Pike Transportation Service, Inc. is owned and operated by Wilfred and Edith Pike. It was incorporated in 1958. At that time we had 23 years of school busing experience serving the Rose Creek, Brownsdale, and Austin areas. Our headquarters was in Brownsdale until 1960. We then moved to Nicolville, Hi-Way 16 East, Austin, Minnesota.

Our son Lowell, and his wife Judith Pike, bought the business in 1976. The office was moved and joined with Pike’s Family Car Wash, 311 ˝ N.E. 4th Avenue, Austin, Minnesota.

When I first started school busing in 1936, insurance was not necessary as times were tough. Almost no one had anything to lose but debts. As we immerged from the great depression, lawsuits began and insurance was required. Later it was necessary to incorporate to protect oneself from being wiped out in case of a catastrophic accident. Fortunately, Pike Transportation, after 48 years in the business, has never had a child injured inside or outside a school bus. We are all thankful for that.

We firmly believe in clean equipment and a preventative maintenance program. Drivers are trained in traffic laws and school bus driving as well as the handling of children. A lot of luck helps too.

In 1938 I married Edith Hartson of Brownsdale, Minnesota. We have three sons, Larry, a teacher in California; Lowell of Austin and now the owner of Pike Transportation, Pike’s Car Wash, and the associate owner of Fordtown. Stanley is the youngest and is an electronic technician with the Goodyear Blimp stationed at Houston, Texas. All three graduated from Austin High School.

In 1973 and 1977 we were given awards by the Minnesota and National School Bus Operators Associations for excellent service in school busing.

We of Pike Transportation Service, Inc. consider it an honor and a privilege to be entrusted with the safety and welfare of the children we have transported in this community for the past 48 years. May we always remain humble and appreciative.

By Wilfred "Bill" Pike

SOURCE: Mill on the Willow, A History of Mower County 1984 pg. 220-221

Submitted to MnGenWeb by K. Pike -- Jan. 2008



Gustave Schleuder


b: 1841
d: Dec. 23, 1913

In 1863 Gus Schleuder walked to Austin from St. Peter, MN, to start a watch repair business. He had a few articles of jewelry for sale. The inventory increased in succeeding years. Mr. Schleuder slept in his store.

On August 1, 1867 the Mower County Register reported a burglary.

"Bold Robbery- Over $2,000 in Goods Stolen From A Jewelry Store".

On Sunday evening last, between the hours of eight and nine o'clock, some thieving rascal entered the front door of Mr. Gustav Schleuder's Jewelry Store and abstracted from the show case watches and fine jewelry to the value of $2,000. Mr. Schleuder at the time was absent at church. Upon returning he found the front door unlocked, the back one open and the goods stolen as stated. Proper exertions to find the thief have been put forth but no clue has been obtained. This is the first robbery of much value that has ever taken place in Austin."

"Mr. Schleuder always slept in his store during the nights and scarcely ever left it during evenings, except for Sabbath evenings to attend church. The loss falls heavily on Mr. G., a young man whose accumulations have been by so much industry should not be thus afflicted."

In 1887 the Austin State Bank was incorporated by G. Schleuder, F.I. Crane, C.H. Davidson, and R.E. Shepard. In 1889 the Austin National Bank was organized and took over the accounts of the State Bank. Mr. Schleuder was the president of this bank from 1895 to 1898.

During the ensuing years Gus Schleuder's business at 309 N. Main St. expanded. By 1911 he had begun to invest in real estate. He bought several buildings on Main Street. In some of these buildings he was in partnership with local businessmen such as Mitchell, French, and Benton.

Gus Schleuder died in 1913 and one of his sons, Herbert W. Schleuder, took over the jewelry business.

Mill on the Willow, History of Mower County, 1984, Pg 221-222

Photos of Schleuder Plot

Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008



Forrest A. Schleuder


B: 1870
D: June 29, 1942

Forrest A. Schleuder had a variety of vocations in Austin. He had a wholesale paper business with a warehouse on both Milwaukee and Great Western tracks. He went out of business when a spark from a steam engine set fire to the warehouse on the Milwaukee tracks. All of his inventory was destroyed.

For a time Forrest managed the "Opera House" on the second floor of the area from 400 to 404 ˝ N. Main St. Famous people performed on this site. The business closed when the movies came in.

Forrest Schleuder next concentrated on the retailing of stationary, giftwares, and Edison phonograph business. On occasion he would have famous opera stars perform or give a concert at the Methodist Church on Sunday nights. They demonstrated how the reproduction of the voice was so close to the playing of a record.

F.A. Schleuder was also an Optician and had an optical shop over the store, which was located close to Main St. on what is now 2nd Avenue N.W.

In later years F.A. worked with his brother in the rental properties office at 223 ˝ N. Main St. Forrest's son Herbert F. Schleuder worked in this office also from 1935 until his death in 1947.

The Schleuders, Herbert W. and Forrest, worked to get the old telephone poles off Main St., to get the new street lighting system in and also to get the downtown central heating system. They organized a stock company and sold about $110,000 of stock. The system was later turned over to Austin Utilities without charge.

Mill on the Willow, History of Mower County 1984 Pg 221-222

Photos of Schleuder Plot

Transcribed by K. Pike -- January 2008



Webization by Kermit Kittleson
©2008 MnGenWeb