Biographical Sketch of
Dr. Orlenzer Allen
The kind face of Dr. Orlenzer Allen brings to the mind of numberless readers throughout this whole section many a kind and gentle act in the sick-room and in the home. Ever a skillful physician and helpful friend, he won the confidence and regard of all. He was born in Alleghany county, New York, March 17, 1826, and was the twin brother of Judge Ormanzo Allen, of this city. He pursued his studies in the University at Alfred Centre.
In 1842 his parents came to Wisconsin and he continued his studies in Milton college. He then studied medicine with Dr. rider, of Milton, and afterward graduated in Rush Medical College, Chicago, with honors. He also took a post graduate course for physicians and surgeons, in New York City.
In 1847 he united his fortunes with those of Almeda Coon, an educated woman and successful teacher. He commenced to practice in Milton, but came to Austin in 1856, he being the first physician to settle here. They reached here just as sunset and spent the first night at a small boarding house. Snow's hotel was not completed. The next day the Doctor bought a lot, on Mill Street, having a small house, just enclosed, on it, and opened us his stock of drugs. He soon sold his medicines, that he might spend his entire time in his rapidly increasing practice.
In 1868 he built the pleasant home on Water street, now occupied by Mrs. Allen and Dr. A.W. Allen, their son. After fourteen years practice in Austin he went back to Milton, where he died in 1883. While here he filled many political offices in county and city to the satisfaction of all. Dr. Allen was a man of consistent Christian character and pure principles, always lending a hand in every good work. Three Sons, two of whom follow his profession, survive him.
Submitted to MnGenWeb by Darrel K. Waters